tuscl

Strip club chains vs. independents?

Just curious what you guys prefer to go to or if it does not even matter. The most popular chains I know of are Christie's Cabaret and Rick's. Christie's in Cleveland is the top ranked club in Ohio from the top 100 list.
If I am traveling out of town, I prefer a chain club because it is more predictable.

9 comments

• gatorfan
    15 years ago
    I like indies, specifically jack shacks indies.
  • SuperDude
    15 years ago
    Penthouse Clubs ride on the reputation of the old version of the magazine. (The current mag is watered down from its glory days.) Penthouse Clubs have better than average eye-candy and more glitz, but so-so mileage, except in Detroit where high mileage is getting to be the norm.
  • shadowcat
    15 years ago
    I would agree that chains are more predictable but not always the best place to go. I do have a life time membership to the small Platinum Plus chain and have never been disappointed in the 3 clubs that I have visited.

How do you know what is a chain? I know of 4 clubs in Atlanta that are owned by the same person/s but have different names.
  • chandler
    15 years ago
    Independents because they are less predictable. Around here, chain strip club means Deja Vu. About 15 years ago, I tried the ones in Lansing and Kalamazoo. I've never heard anything since to make me want to try any of them again.

I like some of the clubs around East St. Louis that are part of the PT's chain but don't feel like a chain. Likewise for Platinum Plus in Columbia, SC. The PP in Greenville, on the other hand, has that over-managed, impersonal chain ambience working against it.
  • CTQWERTY
    15 years ago
    Sam, I wonder what informative beans a career dancer could spill on your question? I think in a club's approach to the guys, it's pretty simple: hire the most attractive entertainer talent available and push alcohol (the great equalizer for a poorly furnished and/or upkept establishment with so-so musical choice.)
  • minnow
    15 years ago
    Prefer independents, OR small local "chains". Those tend to have their own unique flavor, and devote more effort to pleasing/retaining customers vs trying to maximize profit at every turn. Deja Vu & Spearmint Rhino are 2 of the largest national chains today insofar as number of clubs. Walking in there, I know that a certain minimum standard for facilities/dancer attractiveness will be met. Regretably, both chains seem to try their level damndest to make the visit an annoying one for me- excessive gimmickry, clipped songs, dancer drink hustle, pricier dance prices, obnoxious/chatty DJ's, ad nauseum. Most, if not all of these checklist items are marked off on every visit to those chains. Of the smaller national/regional chains, I favor PT's & Mens Club. I wish more clubs would be like Mons Venus or Ybor Strip on the nude side, or Brass Flamingo- Indy, Baby Dolls- Dallas, Hi Liter- Phoenix( happy hour time, anyways) on the topless side.
  • mmdv26
    15 years ago
    Indies are best for mileage. Chains are best for dancer looks, decor, clean restrooms, high rollers and bolt-on's.
  • DandyDan
    15 years ago
    I don't mind chains, but they are really only good for eye candy, or if they just happen to be next to your motel and you need the strip club fix. I agree with minnow in that the independent places tend to go after pleasing the customer. Also, at least 90% of the places I've been to have been independents, or local chains, and I can't help but go to an independent.
  • gk
    15 years ago
    Indies are best for me. Chains are too restrictive.

And in this context I define chain as either corporate ownership (as in DejaVu which owns the namesake and also Hustler Clubs), Christies Cabarets or an absentee multi-club out-of-town owner (not a multi-club local owner).

Independent clubs are usually more laid back about about rules for customers, work rules for employees etc. In general this typically results in better milage for the customer and a better working environment for dancers.

Corporate or multi-location/absentee owner clubs have that by-the-book aura about them. You can feel it in the vibe, you can see it in the way they impose and even cite the rules. For example, most corporate type clubs have a high presence odf bouncer tyhpes or bird-doggers checking on kprivate dances. Local clubs have more flexibiliy to be responsive to customer needs and to reward regular customers. The corporate types can only do this within the context of the policies and rules they have imposed on them.

Of course, my rule of thumb is that you can always find a way to have fun anywhere if you have the patience and the funds. But my rule of thum also says that the locally owned deliver better times in a better atmosphere. And I'm sure there are plenty of exceptions--I've even patronized the exceptions!
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion