tuscl

Houston, the struggle goes on

On the 31st, the local news outlets were crowing that an appeals court had affirmed the city's recent victory on distance requirements (1,500 fet from everything). Mayor Bill White got in front of the cameras and recited a speech that sounded like it was written by an ugly bitter feminist. He said "We're going to close these clubs that objectify women."

Last time I looked, a lot of women are willingly objectifying themselves, willingly, joyfully doing so. Of course it could be that the jerkwad, who just announced he's running for US Senate in 2010 is trying to court the feminist/conservative vote. He thinks Obama's election was a bellweather, but the fact is, he's a democrat, and therefore doesn't stand a snowball's chance in hell in very Republican and conservative (leave our strip joints be) Texas.

10 comments

• Clubber
    16 years ago
    Dudester,

Are you nuts? Where did you get the idea that "...a lot of women are willingly objectifying themselves, willingly, joyfully doing so." is allowed? You must know that we are quickly becoming a country where our freedoms are only those allowed by others. There are a lot of un-employed dwarfs! Remember when they "willingly, joyfully" subjected themselves to dwarf tossing? NO NO, not allowed!

Got to laugh, so you don't cry, about our loss of freedom!
  • how
    16 years ago
    The mayor was obviously pandering, but Dudester, it's the liberal women who are the feminists, in general. Then you get it exactly right with your implication that conservative areas like Texas typically "leave our strip joints be."
  • giveitayank
    16 years ago
    Houston, we have a problem.
  • giveitayank
    16 years ago
    I think what dudester is trying to say is that the anti strip club people are on both sides of the political spectrum.
    On the left you have ultra liberal feminists who oppose SC's because it's degrading to women.
    On the right you have ultra conservatives who oppose SC's for moral issues.
    They make a unique team.
  • Clubber
    16 years ago
    Damn, we all oppose strip clubs at times! I oppose any that play loud rap crap and/or hire nothing but fuglies.
  • sandman64
    16 years ago
    Please keep us up to date as this develops. I live in Louisiana and travel to Houston a couple of times a year to play at the clubs. It would be a major bummer if the city shut them down.
  • VX1100
    16 years ago
    Most of my top SC experiences have been in Houston. I wold hate to see that legislated away.
  • how
    16 years ago
    Another Texas town, El Paso, implemented ordinances such as distance rules a couple of years ago. It really did not change anything, except at a few clubs.
  • giveitayank
    16 years ago
    Seattle had a vote to keep strippers at least four feet from patrons. The vote went down in defeat.
  • Anna
    16 years ago
    It's just so sad....
    <3
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion