tuscl

Opening a club

What does it take to open a gentlemens club? Can anyone out there help me with what I would need to do to open one. I am looking for information like...permits, codes, etc. We have a building that we are looking into but want to make sure we have all our g-strings in a row (sorry for the pun).

9 comments

• Dudester
    16 years ago
    Depends on the city. First, you gotta make sure you're zoned correctly. Since you're going to be a sexually oriented business, and a fire/building inspector will raise the threshold on you, be prepared to grease palms, or find a way to scratch their itch (do research).

Find a good bartender (research again). Hot costumes for your waittresses, and go to other clubs and see if you can't temporarily borrow their A list dancers to build a customer base (be prepared to pay them-not charge them "club fees-tip outs" etc.).
  • DandyDan
    16 years ago
    I would absolutely make sure you have a good lawyer who knows all the laws. Any new business, especially a gentlemen's club, is a huge undertaking.
  • mmdv26
    16 years ago
    I think the remodeling or building of the club facility, furnishings, equipment and staffing are almost an afterthought when compared to the regulatory and zoning hurdles that must be overcome just to get the business license in many cities.
  • deogol
    16 years ago
    First, get a lawyer. The lawyer should identify and report all the ordinances related to lighting, security, stage dimensions, licenses, zoning laws, and required nudity laws in a nice report for you. The report should be sectioned so you have something to share with the dancers, the construction crew, and the management.

Next, find the place to put the club in. This is going to count on if you can buy it. If you cannot buy it, you will need to lease space. The landlord may not be keen on such a thing so prepare to look long and hard. The monthly rent (usually per sq ft) will be your first vital for cash flow accounting. Remember to check the section of the lawyers report for zoning laws, fences and exterior lights, and other bullshit. Also check the report for number of people for fire laws as well cubic feet of air moved per minute for ventilation of that many people. You will probably need a realtor for this. Also understand often the renter pays for all upgrades and such - right down to mowing the grass and repairs. Details for the lease agreement.

Look up used audio equipment because you can get it practically half-price at many professional stores or the internet. All you need are four speakers, a couple of cd players, an ipod mount, a six channel mixing board and a couple of 200w apps. Quite often you can hang this stuff yourself. Keep it off the floors so they won't puke on the speakers. Put the dj booth off to the side and in an enclosure so they can talk to dancers. (http://www.google.com/search?q=used+audi…)

Usually at the same internet places, you can buy "cans" with floods and some gel coloring. A couple simple dimmer packages (these are not the wall kind) and a dimmer control board will be needed. Nothing fancy needed but you will probably need an electrician as most dimmers go directly into the fuse box. (http://www.stagelightingusa.com/?gclid=C…)

If you need to construct the stage, then you pull out the lawyer report to identify the required height and dimensions. Make sure there is a tip rail. :) You will need stools along side the stage for best effect.

Next some tables and stools there too. All can be bought from costco or some place like that. (Make sure you have your sales tax license to get whole sale cost. :)

Don't forget toilet paper, soap, mops, etc.

You will need a dressing room. Get decent sized lockers. (http://www.lockersupply.com/One-Tier-C66…) - you will probably need as many as dancers. Get a couple of box lockers too for holding shit (contraband like pocket knives, etc.) behind the counter.

More chairs for the dancers and a mirror with overhead lighting on the mirror for makeup and such. No need to get fancy with the counter. Look at your wife's bathroom counter for the crap on it. Then double it per stripper.

A a deal with the local drink distributor. Once again refer to the lawyers report about what you can sell (alcohol) and at what level of nudity.

Find an accountant. If you are not familiar with handling tickets, cash, and the like they can clue you in on the processes so no one can rip you off. They will also show you how to count your money. How to plan spending so you aren't out of money at the end of the month.

Hire some dudes for security. Explain to them it's best to talk a problem out before throwing someone out. Hire a couple of police officers to help out with training - negotiation, man handling, and what you can and cannot do legally (weapons.) Let other police officers know you are open to training for your security team quarterly for pay.

Find a couple DJs. Remember to remind the DJ who is really the boss at the club now and then.

More late when it comes to money.

(I should write a book - this is the third time someone has asked about this. I don't know why anyone would want to though.)
  • SuperDude
    16 years ago
    Beware of or pay the Mob.
  • SuperDude
    16 years ago
    Beware of or pay the Mob.
  • jester214
    16 years ago
    ^That is totally depended on where you're at, and still unlikely.
  • Philip A. Stein
    16 years ago
    First thing to do is be a manager of a club for a year. You need a firm grasp of what it's like to run the day to day operations. You need to understand cash flow.

It's amazing to me how many people try to get into business (usually restaurants or bars) and have never written a business plan, had no experience with payroll, or can't read a p/l report, the list of short comings goes on and on.

I also believe it much easier to buy an existing business than to start from scratch.

• Book Guy
    16 years ago
    Yeah, YOU go stick stick yer dick (blindly) into the ladies' room ...

(castration fantasy, anyone?)
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion