tuscl

Whats in a name?

shadowcat
Atlanta suburb
Sunday, June 29, 2008 12:45 AM
SANTA FE, N.M. — A New Mexico appeals court on Friday ruled against a Los Alamos man who wanted to change his name to a phrase containing a popular four-letter obscenity. The man appealed after a state district judge in Bernalillo County refused his request to change his name to "F--- Censorship!" Judge Nan Nash ruled that the proposed name change was "obscene, offensive and would not comport with common decency." The man — whose current legal name is Variable — argued on appeal that it was improper government censorship to deny him the name change. "We do not believe that the district court's action infringes on petitioner's right to free speech," a three-judge panel of the Court of Appeals said in its ruling. The man has the right to call himself whatever he wants, unless there's fraud or misrepresentation involved, the judges said. But once he seeks court approval for a name change, the court has the authority to turn him down on several grounds, including if the name is offensive to common decency and good taste, the judges ruled. That law was clarified in a 2004 case in the same court that apparently involved the same petitioner. In that case, an Albuquerque man whose name was Snaphappy Fishsuit Mokiligon got the go-ahead from the appeals court to change his name to Variable.

10 comments

• parodyman-->
    16 years ago
    Look dumb fuck, the only apparent question here is what you filled in for the topic. “Whats in a name?” You do know that “what’s” should have an apostrophe in it don’t you? Also that particular phrase as written is a sentence fragment. But to answer your stupid question... The alphabet, letters mother fucker, that’s what is in a name!
  • arbeeguy
    16 years ago
    I don't understand parodyman's comment. Please explain what you mean, parodyman. If I could understand it, I would be glad to respond.
  • SuperDude
    16 years ago
    There is an Assitant Wayne County (Detroit, MI) Prosecutor named Luke Skywalker. Yes, he is listed in the Michigan State Bar directory.
  • CarolinaWanderer
    16 years ago
    From time to time I unblock parodyman because someone else refers to one of his comments, as I did on this thred. Based on this particular comment and others before I started blocking him, I beleive parodyman is guilty of pointless and argumentative attacks against other members. Since most of these attacks are on the same member he would be known as a serial antagonist, On many sites, this would be adequate reason for banning. Perhaps it should be here too.
  • Clubber
    16 years ago
    CarolinaWanderer, "He" manages to stay because is is a strip club site and he is a very large boob!
  • parodyman-->
    16 years ago
    arbeeguy, what I meant, and yes it was smart assed, was that he merely posted an article with no editorializing of his own. No question was posed to spur discussion other than his "clever" topic. Q: What's in a name? A: A name is composed of letters of the alphabet. I don't know what the point of this was other than Shadowcat making himself feel superior by making fun of an individual who wanted to change his name. The fact that he was making what most people would consider a foolish choice is unimportant. Perhaps Shadowcat as well as the rest of us might also consider that people who point out the fact that our freedoms are erroding are true patriots and performing a service for the rest of us. When censorship becomes common practice you will be able to kiss TUSCL goodbye. Plenty of god fearing flag waving Americans would object to the content of this site.
  • CarolinaWanderer
    16 years ago
    Thanks, clubber. That does put it in perspective for me. I already had heard he was an ass, but knowing that he is a boob and ass explains why some members tolerate him. I will continue to use the ignore button.
  • Clubber
    16 years ago
    CarolinaWanderer, I don't ignore his rants. Some are nearly funny, or at least a bit humorous. Besides, where else can one see the effects of mental illness so easily? Good point about the ass.
  • pop
    16 years ago
    The guy could just change his name to fdgd and when people would ask how to pronounce that, answer "fuck".
  • Shekitout
    16 years ago
    parodyman: Since you ripped Shadowcat for leaving off an apostrophe, you should have inserted a comma in front of mother fucker in your response. BTW, I always thought it was "motherfucker", not "mother fucker", fucker.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion