tuscl

the illegal alien invasion

monty39
New York
Thursday, May 18, 2023 8:01 PM
There was an old television series called The Invaders where the space aliens took the form of humans. Today's invasion is by human aliens, but we really don't know who they are because of no thorough background checks, if at all. Just let them in.

I live in New Jersey now, but it bordesr Rockland County NY. I am about 45 minutes from New York City,which is a sanctuary city , meaning they are responsible for finding housing for any asylum seeker.

As of May 14, nearly 41,000 migrants were staying at the 150 emergency sites scattered across the Big Apple, according to the latest figures released by City Hall.

More than 65,000 asylum seekers have filtered through the system since last spring.
About 4,200 migrants arrived in the Big Apple last week and another 15 buses are slated for this weekend.

With shelter and space in the city dwindling, Mayor Eric Adams has ordered that migrants be sent to hotels in the Hudson Valley, to city school gyms, and is eyeing whatever private office space is available.

He’s even looking at sheltering them in the Rikers Island jail complex as a last resort.

He has been secretly been calling hotels outside the city and offering to pay them fully for 4 months up to a year to basically turn the hotel into a shelter. The City will pay their hotel stay, provide them with 3 meals a day and healthcare and social counselor.

New York Hotels Evicting Homeless Veterans to House Migrants- 5/15

ew York hotels are reportedly evicting homeless veterans to house migrants in their place. The swap would give the hoteliers an additional profit of $100 a night on average, a move that has angered veteran rights activists.

The practice was first reported by the New York Post. The nonprofit veteran organization Yerik Israel Toney (YIT) Foundation told the newspaper that nearly two-dozen U.S. military veterans were evicted last week by hotels in suburban New York City as the facilities seek to replace them with migrants. The veterans involved have already been rehoused.

"Our veterans have been placed in another hotel due to what's going on with the immigrants," Sharon Toney-Finch, who runs the organization, said. "One of the vets called me on Sunday," she added. "He told me he had to leave because the hotel said the extended stay is not available... Then I got another call."

While it's not clear exactly how much the city is paying hotels in upstate New York for housing migrants, previously reported deals between the authorities and Manhattan hotels have put the payment for housing migrants at $190 a night.

I walk a lot in Orangeburg NY ( located in Rockland County ) Orangeburg is one of many towns that makeup Rockland County. There are towns in Rockland where immigrants are the majority by a large margin. Orangetown is not one of them. Middle class area with population at least 80% white.

Ed Day - Rockland County executive
·
++ IMPORTANT UPDATE ++PLEASE SHARE++
Another part of New York City's "strategy" to compromise our community by bussing in 340 adult migrant males has been set aside. Our County Health Department shut down the Armoni Inn yesterday and the handful of guests left were in the process of finding alternative accommodations. This action was in direct response to the Armoni Inn operating without a valid permit that had expired and a failure to open records about the proposed shelter, which is outside the legal scope of a hotel as defined by regulation.
As promised, we will continue to take whatever legal action is necessary to stop this "plan" from being foisted upon Rockland.

Michael Miele
Great Job, the owners of that Hotel could care less what happened to that area. Whats his name was in the city welcoming them most likely expecting to have them mooching off Rockland tax payers if they got them to stay in the hotel. What I havent heard from anyone on the news unless i missed it is how this hotel backs to the dorms of St. Thomas Aquinas College. theres nothing keeping these Criminals from walking into these dorms or Campus and how the College would have to hire armed guards to protect the students there along with staff. They also didnt mention how they are also walking distance to Dominican College a High School and elementary schools. What should happen in my honest opinion is we make these liars and corrupt democrats and all that continue to support their failures to not just house these criminals but to pay for the time their here.

This is a disgrace and a slap in the face to our Veterans and Seniors that need housing and care they shouldnt have to miss a meal or struggle to pay for medications. Our government lies to their faces along with the rest of us that they dont have the finances to give them what they deserve but when these criminals enter our country or if something happens over seas we have unlimited funds to lay out. We should not be helping any outsiders until we have every Veteran cared for medically and housed properly.

Rockland County hotel barred from housing migrants at least until June in blow to NYC Mayor Adams’ relocation plan

‘Racist' and ‘Antisemitic': NYC Mayor Rails Against Rockland Co. Official Amid Migrant Crisis

Published May 11, 2023

New York City Mayor Eric Adams referred to Rockland County Executive Ed Day as racist and antisemitic Thursday, comparing him to Texas Gov. Greg Abbott amid the ongoing battle over plans to house asylum seekers in the Hudson Valley.

This latest development comes as sheriff's officers were posted outside the Armoni Hotel in the Rockland County town of Orangeburg a day earlier, where a temporary restraining order is in place barring migrants from moving in.

NYC was looking to send a couple hundred migrant men to the northern suburbs at what the mayor's staff would be an emergency-use hotel. But Rockland Officials said that would simply be subterfuge for an illegal city-run shelter.

"This is a renegade operation on the part of the mayor, and I cannot even begin to believe what's going on at this point," Day said Wednesday. "I have never seen such bullying and arrogance in my entire career."
However, on Thursday, the mayor had harsher words for Day.

"So when you look at the County Executive Day — this guy has a record of being antisemitic, racist comments. His thoughts and how he responded to this really shows a lack of leadership. I thought he was the Texas governor the way he acted," Adams said.

In response, Day said that Adams "can call me every name in the book to deflect the reality of this former officer’s clear disregard for our laws.

“Between his actions underscoring his belief that he is above local and state law, his disregard for State of Emergencies, and ongoing deception to the State of New York, Rockland County, and most recently Orange County --which was blindsided Thursday morning after being told by Adams they were holding off with their plan -- speaks volumes about the character of Mayor Adams," Day's response went on to say. “I’ll do whatever is necessary to safeguard all the lives involved that this plan will without question endanger."

New York Daily News

May 15, 2023

Mayor Adams’ plan to house hundreds of migrants in a Rockland County hotel is on ice at least until next month due to a string of recent court setbacks.

The Adams administration was initially expected to start sending migrants via bus to the Armoni Inn & Suites in Rockland’s Orangetown last week, with a goal of getting some 340 asylum seekers relocated there within weeks.

Those plans were upended when Orangetown Supervisor Teresa Kenny, a Republican, convinced a Rockland County Supreme Court judge to issue a restraining order last Tuesday barring the hotel from housing any migrants coming up from New York City.

That restraining order was set to expire Monday — but in a ruling over the weekend, Rockland County Supreme Court Justice Christie D’Alessio extended it until at least May 31.

In a separate case brought by Rockland County Executive Ed Day, also a Republican, one of D’Alessio’s colleagues on the bench, Justice Thomas Zugibe, issued another temporary restraining order late last week prohibiting Adams’ administration from sending any migrants to Armoni. Zugibe’s decision will stay in effect at least until May 30, when he ordered lawyers for Day’s office and the Adams administration to appear in court for a hearing.

Extreme actions warrant extreme measures. I warned the NYC Mayor that if you try to run us down you will find me and others in your way and we won't back up.
“Any migrant that comes through that door, and they try to put them up – it’s a $2,000 fine,” he said.
“This is absurd, and we will not stand for it,” said Ed Day, the Rockland County executive. “There is nothing humanitarian about a sanctuary city sending busloads of people to a county that does not have the infrastructure to care for them. It’s the same as throwing them in the middle of the ocean with nowhere to swim.”

Given the restraining orders, it appears unlikely Adams’ administration would bus any migrants to Armoni until June 1 at the earliest. Adams spokesman Fabien Levy said Monday the administration is not backing off its Rockland effort, but confirmed it will let the court cases play out before sending any buses to Armoni.

In another blow to Adams’ hope of sheltering migrants at Armoni, the Rockland County Department of Health on Saturday ordered the hotel to shut down operations entirely.

“This action was in direct response to the Armoni Inn operating without a valid permit that had expired,” Day wrote in a Facebook post.

Armoni can apply for its hotel permit to be renewed. It was unclear if it had done so Monday, and a lawyer for the hotel did not return a request for comment.

Adams is desperate to send migrants upstate because the city’s shelter and emergency hotel systems are at capacity, housing more than 40,000 asylum seekers, most of them from Latin America. The mayor — whose administration would pay for hotel rooms and services for the asylum seekers — has accused Republican officials upstate of fear-mongering about migrants and argued it should be incumbent on them to help the city.

In addition to the upstate initiative, Adams’ administration has opened emergency migrant shelters in several city public school gyms.

With the Rockland County initiative stalled, the mayor appears to have turned his attention elsewhere.

Yonkers Mayor Mike Spano said over the weekend he had gotten word Adams plans to send about 100 migrant families to his Westchester County city.

Despite being a fellow Democrat, Spano blasted the Adams administration’s “sheer lack of communication and planning” around the migrant transports to his city as “unacceptable.”

“We are being told families will be housed here for at least a year, yet Yonkers is not being provided the resources on how to deal with the additional schooling, public safety, and health services needed to assist these individuals,” Spano said in a statement.

In contrast to the Rockland dilemma, the Adams administration successfully sent nearly 100 migrants to a hotel in the Orange County city of Newburgh last week.

Orange County Executive Steve Neuhaus, a Republican, on Friday filed a lawsuit asking a state judge to block Adams from continuing the Newburgh program.

I wrote in that if they force the County to take the illegals,tell them only families not single men. Letting 340 men lose into the community would be disastrous !

62 comments

• Tetradon
    a year ago
    You want to be a "sanctuary city," you'd best prepare yourself to face the consequences.

You can't expect someone else to bear the burden of your moral preening.
  • Muddy
    a year ago
    Honestly this is a good thing. NYC, Chicago, DC and finally get face to face with reality and their own hypocrisy blow up in their face. It's their only chance of waking up, particularly in the black communities, who realize that they are taking a back seat to these new arrivals, but really anywhere you see hispanic migration en masse, you see displacement of blacks (all over Southern California is a good example of this) I think the black community is starting to realize this and even sounding like conservatives at times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YKXciZN…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbqrQXuf…
  • Muddy
    a year ago
    You even black folks holding up signs "Build that wall" in Chicago.
  • mogul1985
    a year ago
    How can a hotel use capricious whim just cancel reservations in-favor of someone else? Homeless Vets and a wedding party was cancelled, and I'm sure there are others. That's nuts.

Something similar happened to me in Cherry Hill, NJ in 2001. I use to stay at a Hilton across the street from Comcast. I moved up the street about a mile to a Resident Inn in October - much nicer, friendlier folks. In December, all reservations at the Hilton were "cancelled" for an incoming convention or something, with a plane load from India. Well, one of the people from India contracted Legionaries Disease and ALL guests were locked down and could not leave. Oddly I can't find details on this today, yet I know it happened. The people from Accenture were there and lost their reservations - I clearly remember dodging that bullet. I was with a different consulting company and could stay wherever I wanted.
  • skibum609
    a year ago
    Anyone who voted democrat should be required to tithe 50% of their gross income (in most cases it will be the same as 100% of their gross income) to support these foreign rats who are here to live off working americans.
  • Muddy
    a year ago
    And I meant this video not the other one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idoDFUg8…
  • mark94
    a year ago
    There’s a simple solution. Cut off government benefits/payments to illegals and mandate e-verify for any job.

The fact that hasn’t happened tells us what politicians truly want.
  • Hungryhunnypot
    a year ago
    Are all strip club johns this stupid? The only cool thing about this post is that you mentioned The Invaders.
  • sfrsox
    a year ago
    Allow females 18-28 in. Keep the rest out.
  • ChampionOfAura
    a year ago
    This is all just feeding the “great replacement” nonsense the alt right have been spewing for years. There’s only one party that blocks funding for veterans and it’s the same party that busses migrants to sanctuary cities rather than taking some ownership of the problem. New York is overburdened because of the actions of republican states. How sick can you be to take people with no home and simply ship them off elsewhere?

This could all be resolved if we expanded taxes on the 1% and corporations. We could house veterans and migrants, provide resources and people to work these communities and find employment, and reintegrate with society.

Homeless veterans are the product of republican policies. You don’t get to vote republican and then blame the democrats every time they’re forced deal with your shit simply because they’re human. Grow up.
  • Tetradon
    a year ago
    ^ There aren't enough rich to tax to afford Democrats' social engineering schemes.

The great replacement goes back to Judis and Teixeira and "The Emerging Democratic Majority, " only they were gloating about it. I still have Dem friends who do. Surprised that others have a negative reason to it?

We could end the migrant crisis by returning to Remain in Mexico, like Biden reversed on the first day. Until then, big Democratic cities can own their small share of it, rather than inflict it on smaller Republican border cities.

Put your money where your mouth is rather than acting "compassionate" on someone else's dime. Moral posturing has consequences.

Grow up.
  • twentyfive
    a year ago
    ^ why would you expect help from places that you demonize, what’s in it for NYC, Boston, Chicago, or California to accept bus loads of homeless folks, from Texas or other places, illegally here or not, this is just kabuki theatre. If y’all really want to solve the immigration problem, there’s plenty of opportunities to do something constructive, rather than this game of one upsmanship being played by Governors Abbot & DeSantis. This is far from conservatism, it’s nativism and xenophobic.
  • skibum609
    a year ago
    Every single illegal asylum seeking shithead foreigner should be rehomed in Democrat controlled cities only.
  • Tetradon
    a year ago
    @25, I could flip the demonization question. If anything I hear more vitriol, up to the highest levels, from blue states about red states. Deplorables and clingers ring the bell?

These cities proclaim themselves sanctuary cities. Texas and Florida are overburdened with them, Chicago and New York want to give them an olive branch. Sounds like a win win to me. They don't get to act humane and compassionate on someone else's nickel.

We solved the problem once. It was called Remain in Mexico. Donald Trump may be a fermented semen stain on the floor of a peep show but he got this right. Biden reversed it on his first day and _immediately_ illegal immigration skyrocketed. The cause and effect is clear.

This is a Democrat-created, Democrat-exacerbated problem. Rich white coastal progressives deserve to face the consequences of their policies.
  • twentyfive
    a year ago
    ^ really it’s a democrat created problem, that’s stupid.
    Last time there was any meaningful change in immigration Ronald Reagan was president, since then we’ve had a bunch of administrations and, much of the economy has changed, we used to have lax controls on entry to keep wages low, the thinking has changed, we started offshoring our industries to curb hiring of immigrant workers and increase profits by not having to care for those folks, we realized that we decimated our manufacturing capacity, so we started reshoring our factories, then we realized we needed workers so we flipped our priorities again, sorry buddy this is an issue with enough blame to hit both parties, we need some intelligent people to sort this out, this is a bipartisan problem. The solutions to many issues are wrapped up in this critical problem.
  • Tetradon
    a year ago
    Read the graphs on number of illegal entries under Trump vs under Biden. It starts the month Biden takes office.

Open (or functionally open) borders depress wages, it's basic economics. The more principled Democrats like a pre-woke Bernie called open borders a Koch Brothers scheme for cheap labor.
  • twentyfive
    a year ago
    ^ so the Koch Brothers are Democrats now, I wasn’t aware that they switched sides.
  • Tetradon
    a year ago
    That one sailed over your head.

Bernie calling something a Koch Brothers policy is a _bad_ thing. As in Sanders knew it would depress wages. Capisce?
  • skibum609
    a year ago
    The Koch brothers are real AMERICANS and that is why democrats hate them and love the piece of shit George Soros. The idea that the shit at the border isn't 100% on the democrats is just ignorant. These are welfare voters, democratic party voters, leeches. They should all live in shithole blue cities. Why are we importing more criminals in the first place? One of the mass shootings in Texas the left wing media ignores totally is because the killer was an illegal alien here only because of Biden.
  • gammanu95
    a year ago
    the 80s were a test run by the democrat party for flipping red states to blue, displacing Republicans, and destroying the American middle class. It is classic democrat party dishonesty, by agreeing to a deal with Reagan to secure the borders in exchange for 25,000,000 new democrat voters in Republican strongholds. I'm not going to take credit for what I learned from this video, so here is the link

https://youtu.be/0r0m4UCPKHw
  • gammanu95
    a year ago
    everything is over his head, and he can't even blame the dementia. He has always been just that damned stupid.
  • twentyfive
    a year ago
    ^^I doubt it sailed over my head, more likely you’re still having problems getting nuance.
  • monty39
    a year ago
    Rockland provides update on State of Emergency actions

May 19, 2023
    5:11 am

It has been almost two weeks since Rockland County Executive Ed Day declared a state of emergency in response to New York City’s plan to house 340 male migrants at the Armoni Inn and Suites in Orangeburg.

According to Day, the state of emergency was declared to prevent New York City’s decompression program from more than quadrupling the number of homeless in the county’s care.

Day points out that NYC’s current population is approximately 8.3 million, down from 8.8 million in April 2020, contradicting claims that there is no more space for migrants in the U.S.’s largest declared Sanctuary City.

“The fact that the largest city in our entire country believes Rockland, the smallest county in the State of New York, has the resources to undertake this just underscores the lack of planning that was done by the Adams Administration and every single emergency order declared across New York municipalities these last two weeks was done for the exact same reason,” explained County Executive Ed Day.

More than a dozen other counties have enacted similar emergency orders

The County’s lawsuit challenges the city’s lack of authority to establish a shelter in the County of Rockland and was granted a temporary restraining order by a judge. The City of New York lost their appeal to remove that temporary restraining order. Both parties are due in court for the lawsuit May 30th.
  • Papi_Chulo
    a year ago
    Biden is not in charge - there's a cabal behind the scenes calling all the shots including when he can take a bath - I wouldn't doubt this is something Biden agreed to in 2020 in order to fulfill his lifelong ambition of being called president ( not to mention securing more/larger, and future, payoff$.
  • ilbbaicnl
    a year ago
    The mojados are the new niggers. We want to use them to cook our burgers, clean our toilets, mow our laws, and vent our spleen on, all at the same time.
  • Papi_Chulo
    a year ago
    From gaslighting to just plain stupidity without even batting an eye:

https://twitter.com/greg_price11/status/…
  • Papi_Chulo
    a year ago
    World Econmic Forum+

Pfizer CEO, Stacey Abrams, WEF Prez, And Other Elites Participate In Secretive Meeting In Portugal To Discuss AI, Ukraine

https://www.dailywire.com/news/pfizer-ce…

• mark94
    a year ago
    The Koch brothers were never the partisan Republicans that Democrats made them out to be. Ultimately, they are billionaire business men who look out for their own interests, including cheap labor.
  • mark94
    a year ago
    The Democrat party is a combination of many individual interest groups, including different ethnic groups. On the south side of Chicago, African Americans are protesting the invasion of illegal aliens to their community.

Open borders were intended to increase the number of Democrat voters. It may have the opposite effect.
  • gammanu95
    a year ago
    "I doubt it sailed over my head"! he doesn't even know what we're talking about, LOL
  • gammanu95
    a year ago
    DeSantis and Abbot are doing the smart thing: send as many illegal aliens to sanctuary cities as possible. Get them out of the red states and into the hopeless blue hellholes as quickly as possible. We saw what happened in CA, they can't let it happen again.
  • Papi_Chulo
    a year ago
    I didn't find Victor Davis Hanson (VDH) that interesting when he would appear on Fox for a short-segment - find him much-more-interesting in long-format podcast style.

Came across this recent podcast of the British news-source "The Telegraph" where VDH dives into a # of various interesting topics:

https://youtu.be/y3DYd7m2DYA
  • Papi_Chulo
    a year ago
    Where's White Lives Matter?

"Black Suspects Killed Handyman Because They ‘Wanted To Kill A White Person’"

A Louisiana police detective said race motivated two black suspects to kill a white handyman last month.

A detective with the Kenner Police Department testified in court last week that one of the two suspects arrested in connection with Lawrence Herr’s killing on April 10 admitted under questioning that race was a factor.

Police arrested two black men – Tahj Matthews, 23, and Maurice Holmes, 25 – on April 11 and charged the pair with murdering Herr, 66, while he was installing a mailbox the day prior. At the time of the arrest, Kenner Police Chief Keith Conley said police suspected that the murder was more than a random shooting.

“One of the suspects did say they were on a random shooting binge and wanted to commit a murder, we think there may be ulterior motives and that’s what the detectives are investigating,” Conley said.

The lead detective on the case said in court that Matthews told police that the suspects targeted Herr because they “wanted to kill a white person,” according to 4WWL.

Herr died at a local hospital after he was found in a driveway after being shot in the back. Police said the suspects can be seen in video footage driving past Herr three times before opening fire on the handyman.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/black-sus…
  • ilbbaicnl
    a year ago
    If LE called this a justifiable homicide, that would be evidence WLM was needed.
  • ilbbaicnl
    a year ago
    Democrat politicians go to WEF to bend the knee to pro-NWO billionaires.
    Republican politicians go to (smartly) less publicized meetings to bend the knee to billionaires like the Koch brothers.
  • mark94
    a year ago
    VDH grew up on a family farm that he still owns. It gives him a level of common sense missing in most academics.
  • Muddy
    a year ago
    You got Victor Davis Hanson and Tom Sowell (probably the two most well thought of folks on the conservative side of the house) still hanging on in California.
  • mark94
    a year ago
    According to Jim Jordan, “nearly half of the hotel rooms in New York City are filled with illegal aliens. Rent free.”

Explain how a country that does that can survive.
  • mark94
    a year ago
    Alton Mills, a 54-year-old man whose federal life sentence was commuted by President Barack Obama in 2015, now faces the potential of another life sentence after officials accused him of shooting and gravely wounding a woman on an expressway in suburban Chicago this week.
  • CarlitosPeligro
    a year ago
    It’s a mess. We could help El Salvador, Mexico, Honduras, Venezuela, Cuba to improve local conditions which would curtail the outflows. Sanctions on Cuba haven’t done jackshit since 61. Won’t work on Venezuela and Russia either. We quota the same number of green cards for Luxembourg as we do for Mexico. If we were rational about making the legal processes work we wouldn’t have so many attempts to go around the process or file bogus asylum claims. If we funded the damn courts and nominated judges for empty seats we could hear the asylum cases promptly and stop the catch and release. We just refuse to fund the government processes that could prevent or at least process a lot of this backlog and our chickenshit politicians want to posture for the south Florida Cuban political contributors or whoever thinks sanctions and embargoes do anything, which exacerbates issues in countries that were already facing enough challenges. And we will always start to have racial issues when resources get strained, jobs, money, etc. if more of us felt like there was plenty to go around I suspect we’d be less concerned with how many brown faces we observe on the street.
  • Tetradon
    a year ago
    "We could help El Salvador, Mexico, Honduras, Venezuela, Cuba to improve local conditions which would curtail the outflows."

@Carlitos, this sounds a lot like GWB's "make the world safe for democracy" slogan. I hope we've learned our lesson that we aren't going to install American/European democracies in places that don't want them.

We had a policy that curtailed illegal immigration once. It was called "Remain in Mexico" and it was implemented by the last president. When our current one came into office, he lifted it, and illegal immigration literally tripled that month.
  • Papi_Chulo
    a year ago
    "... We could help El Salvador, Mexico, Honduras, Venezuela, Cuba to improve local conditions which would curtail the outflows ..."

That's mostly a pipedream - the problem with most Latin-countries is big-time-corruption - it's like a cancer - that "help" would mostly be stolen by those at the top or wasted.
  • ilbbaicnl
    a year ago
    Things are much better lately for most people in El Salvador. The current President unconstitutionally assumed a lot of powers. He brought in the military to take on the gangs. He suspended most rights to due processed for those arrested under suspicion of participating in a criminal gang. The crime rate has plummeted. But no way of knowing if innocent young men got swept up along with the guilty ones. I've not seen any news reports that he's gone full blown dictator, going after critics and political opponents. He actually was originally in the socialist FMLN, but I think the private sector is OK with him so far.
  • mark94
    a year ago
    There is a lot of manufacturing moving to Mexico and that’s going to continue. A lot of the jobs fleeing China are moving to Mexico. Their economy will grow over the next decade.

If the Mexicans were protecting their southern border, like they agreed to under Trump, illegal immigration would be a trickle on our southern border.

This is very fixable if the political will existed in Washington.
  • monty39
    a year ago
    Attorney general probing false claims about veterans displaced for migrants
    May 19, 2023

The state attorney general’s office is examining allegations that an Army veteran who runs a nonprofit foundation in the Hudson Valley had falsely claimed that homeless veterans had been displaced by migrants at several hotels last week, spurring a national outcry and potentially leading to significant donations for her organization.

The claim was made by Sharon Toney-Finch, CEO of the Yerik Israel Toney Foundation for Preemies Inc., which was formed in 2014 and named after her son, who was born prematurely and died at 7 months of age, according to state officials. Over the last nine years, Toney-Finch’s nonprofit, which opened in Sullivan County but now has headquarters in Orange County, has expanded to offer support services for veterans and homeless individuals.

Several local officials said that Toney-Finch and her organization, known as YIT Foundation, have been active in the community for years supporting veterans and others, including providing toiletry kits, food and sleeping bags to individuals without homes.

The Times Union reported Friday that three unhoused men allege that Toney-Finch recruited them and several other homeless men earlier this week to go on camera and falsely claim they had been displaced from the Newburgh-area hotels last week. The men said that they were offered $100 to take part in the scheme.

Records provided by the U.S. Army on Thursday confirm that Toney-Finch, 43, served in the Army from 2006 to 2015 as a specialist, including two one-year deployments to Iraq beginning in March 2007 and October 2009. Her nearly 20 military awards include an Army Good Conduct Medal, National Defense Service Medal, Global War on Terrorism Service Medal and an Army Commendation Medal, according to Army records. She also is in the National Purple Heart Hall of Honor.

It’s unclear whether the false claim last week that veterans were forced to move out of hotels to make room for migrants from New York City will be investigated as a criminal matter.

Earlier this week, Toney-Finch had provided an image of her nonprofit’s credit card to Assemblyman Maher as well as what was purported to be a receipt showing a payment with that credit card on April 12 for $37,800 to the Crossroads Hotel. Those images were sent to Maher as proof the hotel rooms had been booked and paid for by the foundation.

The district attorney said that Toney-Finch is a well-known and respected person in that area and has gained renown for her work assisting homeless individuals and veterans, among others.
  • Papi_Chulo
    a year ago
    "... If the Mexicans were protecting their southern border, like they agreed to under Trump, illegal immigration would be a trickle on our southern border ... This is very fixable if the political will existed in Washington ..."

To quote a line from a different thread - the current U.S. immigration problem is a feature not a bug.
  • twentyfive
    a year ago
    ^ you’re not incorrect
  • dha
    a year ago
    Easy to fix in 2024. Hope the fix becomes reality.

Expect the worst until then.

Can't blame the immigrants, cartels, and countries flushing people from their countries. They are capitalizing on the opportunity and open door policy.

The problem is in the whitehouse and Delaware. Everybody knows it.
  • ilbbaicnl
    a year ago
    If the gubment needs emergency housing, it should be required to ask hotels how many rooms they have available. Rather than say "We need 100 rooms". Hotels may be displacing people because they feel like they have a choice between renting out 100 rooms or zero.
  • monty39
    a year ago
    Best article I have read on the situation in New York City. Probably a 10 minute read.

No Room at the Inn—Except in New York!
    Nicole Gelinas

https://www.city-journal.org/article/may…

• monty39
    a year ago
    No Room at the Inn—Except in New York!
    Nicole Gelinas

This week, after a pandemic hiatus of more than three years, one of New York’s marquee hotels will reopen its 1,025 rooms to guests. The Roosevelt Hotel, celebrating its centennial next year, has earned a place in Gotham history. The stately mid-rise limestone and brick edifice—designed as part of Grand Central Terminal’s “Terminal City” complex, just steps from the North American long-distance train hub—was home to Guy Lombardo’s band for three decades, hosted New York governor Thomas Dewey when he prematurely declared victory over Harry Truman in the 1948 presidential election, and served as Mayor-elect John Lindsay’s victory stage and transition headquarters in 1965. Though worn with age, the hotel, before the pandemic, garnered praise from travelers: a quiet, reliable property with a low-three-figures-a-night price tag. The reopening should be a sign of New York’s post-2020 progress—except that it’s opening not to paying customers but to migrants crossing the southwest U.S. border and making their way north in search of New York City’s free, no-questions-asked shelter. So instead of being a symbol of New York’s post-pandemic resurgence, the reopening has become a sign of Mayor Eric Adams’s failure to lead on his administration’s biggest emergency to date.

Adams didn’t create the border crisis, of course. Under President Biden, attempted and successful border crossings are up significantly compared with the Trump administration. During the five months of fiscal year 2020 that occurred before Trump imposed pandemic restrictions—from October 2019 to February 2020—“encounters” between border-patrol agents and migrants ran slightly above 200,000; during the similar five months of the current fiscal year, they topped 1 million. Most such encounters have ended in a release into the United States; 1.8 million people released in the country in the past two years await court dates for asylum claim, some scheduled as late as 2035. Others cross entirely undetected and unrecorded. Adams expects that the number of migrants will “rapidly accelerate” as Biden stops removing some migrants under a public-health rule that Trump invoked.

But Adams is making the crisis worse for New York. Though he blames Texas governor Greg Abbott and other Republicans for offering migrants free bus transport to New York, he ignores the reason that migrants find such transport so attractive. New York City is unique in the country, and indeed in the Western world, in that it guarantees all comers shelter: immediately, no questions asked.

The media often incorrectly report that this shelter system is an ironclad “right,” imposed by a court under a reading of the state constitution’s obligation to provide “aid, care, and support of the needy.” It is not. In 1981, in response to a lawsuit by homeless advocates, the city voluntarily agreed to provide universal shelter, first for men, and two years later for women and families, before the state’s top court ever issued a ruling.

One presumes that the city settled the case to avoid the inflexibility that a final high court ruling would have created. But in the current crisis, the city has done nothing with the flexibility that it retains. More than two years into the Biden-era migration crisis, Adams has not challenged the shelter-eligibility rules. It would be reasonable for the city to restrict eligibility to people, of any citizenship or nationality, who have had a fixed address in New York City at some point during the past five years. Such a restriction would face a court challenge by migrant advocates, but so be it. The mayor could also restrict shelter eligibility to migrants already approved for asylum, putting pressure on the federal government to process applicants quickly. Most migrants, to judge from their own words, appear not to be refugees from war or from persecution, but people fleeing dysfunctional governments and economies.

Even under an expansive reading of New York’s shelter system, the mayor has no obligation to host migrants in private rooms. He could offer them communal shelter only. And he is doing some of that: the latest plan is to convert at least seven public school gyms into shelters. But Adams has vacillated on such plans, opening one tent city last year only to abruptly close it. That’s partly because gyms and other large-scale spaces are not appropriate for long-term stays; they’re not equipped with adequate bathrooms and showers, and previous experiences of using such spaces as long-term shelters, even when well-managed, have proven untenable. Gyms are emergency waystations—but to where?

So Adams has spent the past year converting New York hotel rooms into migrant shelters. Last year, the mayor inked an “emergency” no-bid deal with the city’s Hotel Association: 5,000 rooms for a year, at $130 a night. These 122 hotels included upper-end Manhattan tourist properties, including the world’s tallest Holiday Inn, in Lower Manhattan, and Midtown’s Stewart Hotel, where, until recently, tourists “gather[ed] under high ceilings and flow[ed] between its New York-inspired lobby, stunning ballroom, designer event space and spacious suites.”

Now, Adams is signing the biggest hotel deal of all: a $225 million, three-year deal for all of the Roosevelt’s rooms, working out to $205 a night. According to the Pakistani government, which owns the Roosevelt, the deal even includes a payout for hotel union workers laid off during the pandemic.

Beyond the obvious fact that no-bid emergency deals breed corruption, using prime hotel properties for shelter is a bad idea for several reasons.

First, the city is crowding out the tourists whom it needs to entice back to New York. The city has only 120,000 hotel rooms. Taking several thousand—at least—off the market significantly reduces supply, raising prices for paying guests at other properties. Reserving hotel rooms for migrants thus deters tourism, and it harms the recovery of nearby restaurants, retail stores, and entertainment offerings.

That’s particularly true in Midtown Manhattan, where only half of office workers are regularly back at their desks. Five years ago, the area around the Roosevelt Hotel was peopled by its business and leisure travelers, all eating and shopping nearby. Before the city swooped in with its deal, the Pakistani government was planning a partial reopening of the property to paying guests. The Stewart, too, tells visitors to its website to contact its corporate offices if they have had their reservations suddenly cancelled, implying that it, too, was planning to reopen before the city offered a good deal: guaranteed 100 percent occupancy by guests who can’t grumble about the service. The city isn’t just distorting its own hotel market with these mass-scale room buys; it’s also reserving rooms in upstate New York, upending everything from weddings to baby showers as hotels cancel existing reservations for paying guests.

The impact on New York City itself goes beyond the economic. Newcomers to the city and to the country will naturally behave as they see others behaving around them. So it’s not good that, as New York welcomes potentially hundreds of thousands of unassimilated newcomers, it has lowered its standards of public behavior. People will smoke pot in public if they see other people doing it. Similarly, migrants with no legal source of cash will be sorely tempted to engage in theft, as they learn quickly that nonviolent retail shoplifting faces no real penalty.

Second, New York confronts a direct fiscal impact. The city isn’t just paying hundreds of millions of dollars for hotel rooms; it is sacrificing hotel taxes from those rooms. Assuming 80 percent occupancy of 6,000 hotel rooms at $200 a night over three years, lost taxes could amount to more than $60 million. And the city’s pledge to pay enough to hotels sheltering migrants to support union jobs will add even more to this tab. As the head of the hotel union, Rich Maroko, said last week, “This agreement … allows an iconic hotel to reopen its doors,” and “hundreds of union workers to return to their good-paying jobs.” But the only reason the Roosevelt and other union hotels could support middle-class pay was the deep pockets of New York’s tourists and business travelers. The city has bizarrely cut out the private-sector hotel customer, as if the outside party providing the actual revenues to fund social services were just an inconvenient middleman.

Third, what is the exit strategy? Irregular migrants are not allowed legally to work—though many will work anyway, with employers exploiting their status to pay them less than minimum wage—and they are looking at years of waiting as the federal government processes their asylum claims. Many claimants, even most, will be rejected. It’s one thing for New York to reserve hotel rooms after a finite disaster, such as a hurricane, so that temporarily displaced residents have a place to stay while they repair their homes. It’s another thing to sacrifice centrally located lodging into an open-ended “emergency” comprised of people who aren’t staying there temporarily, but permanently, because they have no local ties to rebuild.

Fourth, the city will pay a cost in diversion of scarce resources for social programs. Migrants now account for 37,500, or nearly half, of the city’s 79,762 homeless-shelter residents, itself a record. But New York cannot adequately care for its indigenous homeless and distressed. Jordan Neely, the 30-year-old man killed in a subway chokehold two weeks ago after behaving menacingly on the train, was on the city’s Top 50 list of people desperately in need of intense services. On the train, he reportedly begged for food and water. Why wasn’t he in a private hotel room, with round-the-clock “welcoming” care?

Adams’s opening of prime properties as migrant shelter creates a final problem: self-perpetuation. The mayor says over and over that he wants to discourage migrants from coming to New York. He has said “there’s no room at the inn” and that the city “is being destroyed by the migrant crisis.” This Tuesday, he said that New York “is being overwhelmed by the financial and number burden associated with the national problem.”

Adams knows that what he is trying to do is impossible: New York City does not have the resources to shelter an unlimited number of migrants for an unlimited amount of time. Yet the mayor keeps opening more inns. The Roosevelt Hotel will serve not just as shelter but as New York’s first central “asylum seeker arrival center.” An “arrival center” implies to would-be migrants, observing from afar on social media, that New York knows what it’s doing, and that it has infinite resources to host an unlimited number of people in hotel rooms. “We continue to ask our federal and state partners for a real decompression strategy,” the mayor said over the weekend.
    But why should President Biden do anything, when New York City is the decompression strategy for the rest of the country?
  • mark94
    a year ago
    In general, immigration is necessary if we want to keep the economy healthy. The problem is, we need nurses, doctors, engineers, entrepreneurs. We don’t need more 19 year old single men with criminal records and no employable skills.
  • Lockjaw
    a year ago
    I used to think aliens had big heads and big eyes and would abduct me on a desolate stretch of Hwy 93. Now I am more worried about a drunk alien that speaks Spanish hitting my car on Hwy 93 and driving off.
  • monty39
    a year ago
    5/22

, grasp of data. Adams wildly said last week that “almost half of all hotel rooms now are taken up by asylum seekers.”

This wasn’t a momentary lapse: The mayor expounded on this theme at length.

“New York City is the hotel capital,” he noted. “Almost 50% of those hotel rooms are taken up by migrant asylum seekers that we are paying for. So instead of monies coming from people who are visiting us and spending . . . we are using those hotels.”

Not true: Even the Times figured out this was “inaccurate.” The hotel union had to correct the mayor, saying that of the city’s 125,000 to 130,000 hotel rooms, migrants are in about 3,500 of them.

Which raises a question: The city signed a contract last year for 5,000 hotel rooms for a year. If it hasn’t needed all 5,000, why is it signing a three-year deal for another 1,025 rooms at the Roosevelt, a deal whose terms still aren’t public?

Adams needs to inform New Yorkers with a dashboard of data: How many families and how many single adults are in migrant shelters?

How many are in asylum hotels, how many in congregate asylum shelters and how many in traditional homeless shelters? Which hotels, and how many rooms each?

When did each asylum seeker apply for asylum, and when is his or her court date? What’s the average length of stay?
  • LapHunt
    a year ago
    It amazes me that leftists like to dismiss replacement theory as though it's a crazy conspiracy when the UN specifically has called for it since at least 2000 in a document still publicly viewable on their site: https://press.un.org/en/2000/20000317.de…

"United Nations projections indicate that between 1995 and 2050, the population of Japan and virtually all countries of Europe will most likely decline. [...] Focusing on these two striking and critical trends, the report examines in detail the case of eight low-fertility countries (France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Republic of Korea, Russian Federation, United Kingdom and United States) and two regions (Europe and the European Union). In each case, alternative scenarios for the period 1995-2050 are considered, highlighting the impact that various levels of immigration would have on population size and population ageing. [...] Population decline is inevitable in the absence of replacement migration. Fertility may rebound in the coming decades, but few believe that it will recover sufficiently in most countries to reach replacement level in the foreseeable future."

And is it any coincidence that, since then, our neighborhoods in Western countries look dramatically different than they did just a couple of decades ago? I mean, immigration here and there is one thing. But this is obviously intentional.

It's happening. Trust what you see with your own eyes. The elites are indeed replacing the traditional populations of Western countries with docile and more compliant people from the Third World, and they're using a flood-the-zone strategy to do it. The overwhelming changes you see in your community are not some mirage. It's happening in real time.

Frankly, the onus is now on the leftists/Democrats to convince you otherwise. Apparently, it's getting really bad in the UK and specifically, Ireland. The governments there are starting to recognize they can't hide it with propaganda and fake news anymore. I mean, when you walk into O'Malley's Pub in Dublin and there's 30 Somalians speaking raucously in their own language having taken over the billiards tables, at some point between ordering your Guinness and finishing your steak & kidney pie, you're going to realize your country and culture is completely gone no matter what the state-run media tells you.
  • Tetradon
    a year ago
    ^ Replacement theory isn't done Tucker Carlson thing, the left has been and continues to gloat about it. They might call it something euphemistic like "demographic transition" but it's the same exact thing.
  • gammanu95
    a year ago
    An article examining the Florida law to deter illegal aliens from coming here stated that Florida had found (not including the unknown or uncounted illegals) more than triple any other state. This is why that law is so important, and why strongly punitive and deterrent measures are necessary to keep illegals out.

The four most prominent countries of origin, in descending order:
    1) Venezuela (okay)
    2) Cuba (more?)
    3) Haiti (boo)
    4) Ukraine (yay)
  • funonthaside
    a year ago
    Maybe the approach is different than we think. Welcome to America, asylum seekers. Now, head into this crummy dated disgusting hotel. "Ummm...no thanks....can you take me back to my country, please".

Roosevelt was trashy when I stayed there many years ago. Can't imagine it today.
  • monty39
    a year ago
    NYC not providing showers at migrant ‘respite centers,’ raising right-to-shelter concerns from advocates

New York Daily News
    May 23, 2023

several migrants housed at one of the sites, a vacant office building on W. 31st St. in Manhattan, told the Daily News on Tuesday they’ve been there for nearly a week, sleeping on narrow cots.

Among them were Victor and Marimar, a Venezuelan couple who said they have been sheltered at the W. 31st St. location since they arrived in New York five days ago. The couple, who only gave their first names, said there are no showers on site, and that they have not been able to properly wash for nearly two weeks, as they were on the road for six days before getting to New York from the Texas border.

The couple said most asylum seekers staying at the facility, which used to house Touro College, wash themselves by filling up bottles from bathroom sinks and pouring the water over their heads.

Leudel, another Venezuelan migrant staying at the ex-Touro site, said he hasn’t showered for weeks or gotten any assurances from the city about when he’ll be moved to another shelter.

“I haven’t been able to shower in a month, from the detention center, bus and this place,” he said in Spanish, referencing his journey to New York. “I don’t know when I will leave here.”

Goldfein said the lack of shower access at the other respite centers is “very concerning” from a legal perspective.
  • monty39
    a year ago
    NYC school uses crossing guard, food workers, 5-year-olds to translate for migrant kids
    May 23, 2023

A Queens school became so overwhelmed with migrant kids last week that it grabbed a Spanish-speaking crossing guard off the street, cafeteria workers from the food line — and even 5-year-old students — to help translate in classrooms, staffers and parents told The Post on Tuesday.

Administrators at PS 31 in Bayside were given mere hours to prepare for the nearly four dozen, newly arrived migrant children who came to the school over two days to be enrolled, the sources said.

The influx was too much for the school, which has only two “English as a New Language’’ teachers on staff.

American students, after being pawns of the teacher's unions for two years, now must forgo their education once again so that all education resources are directed to addressing the needs of illegal immigrants. Thank the Democrats for throwing American's children under the bus.....and then driving over them!

• monty39
    a year ago
    Seeking asylum and work, migrants bused out of New York City are met with hostility
    5/24

Mohamed is one of about 400 international migrants the city has been putting up in a small number of hotels in other parts of the state this month to relieve pressure on its overtaxed homeless shelter system.

Some of the relocated asylum seekers say they now regret leaving the city, pointing to a lack of job opportunities and resources to pursue their asylum cases, as well as a hostile reception.

“It’s better in New York City,” Mohamed said. “There, no one cursed at you and said, ‘Go back to your country.’”

Republican county officials there have accused New York City of dumping its problems on its neighbors, while insinuating that the new arrivals pose a danger.

Meanwhile, some who joined the initial wave of relocations have since returned to New York City’s shelter system. Those who don’t have money for transportation, such as Mohamed, say they are stuck.

“It’s like the desert,” lamented Mohamed, who studied law and taught himself English in Mauritania. “There’s nothing here for us.”

Some asylum seekers described a sense of being lured upstate on false pretenses, saying outreach workers described local economies in need of off-the-books migrant labor. Instead they have suffered a stream of harassment.

“There are people driving by pretty constantly in big pickup trucks telling them to go back to their country,” said Amy Belsher, an attorney for the New York Civil Liberties Union, describing a phenomenon also witnessed by an AP journalist.
  • mark94
    a year ago
    Chicago schools will now allow illegal migrant children to enroll in schools without any health records. American students will still require over 16 different shots before they can enroll.

What could possibly go wrong ?
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion