tuscl

Is it time for museums to return their treasures, that were stolen and taken by

CJKent_band
The truth hurts, but if you accept it, it will set you free
Title couldn’t say it all.

Is it time for museums to return their treasures, that were stolen and taken by force during colonial rule?

Will Returning looted artifacts to the rightful owners restore some heritage to the cultures that made them?

14 comments

• Call.Me.Ishmael
    2 years ago
    In some instances, it's the right thing to do and it has happened. Other situations are more complex.

Across much of the Middle East, many historians and archeologists now wish that a lot of their ancient history was out of their countries, because so much of it has been destroyed by groups like the Taliban and ISIS for being "heretical".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddhas_of…
  • motorhead
    2 years ago
    Straying off topic, but George Washington University is removing their nickname “Colonials”

The progressive dumb fucks are too stupid to realize the colonials fought against tyrannical foreign rule, they weren’t advocates of the practice of colonialism.
  • Studme53
    2 years ago
    If they weren’t preserved in museums in the western civilized world, most important antiquities would have been looted and either melted down, discarded as worthless or sold to the highest bidder.
    That being said, I don’t see the harm in giving or loaning them back to museums in their country of origin as long as they are safe and available to the public, not commandeered or distroyed by ignorant fools like Isis.
  • motorhead
    2 years ago
    It’s a complicated issue.

Not all pieces were obtained by looting

The vast majority of artifacts in museums around the world have been legitimately acquired for those collections, and the previous owners have been paid.

Are you going to give back your iPhone which you already paid for to the Chinese?
  • Call.Me.Ishmael
    2 years ago
    In some instances, museums have worked out arrangements with the originating culture whereby the museum acknowledges that culture's ownership of the artifacts, but agrees to be the caretaker of those items. Sometimes there's a financial arrangement, not unlike a lease, which doesn't make anyone rich but it's further acknowledgement that the museum is a caretaker, and not an owner. I think those arrangements are among the best for all parties.

Where it gets complex is when the artifacts were removed from burial sites and the originating culture wants to re-bury them at the original site. I look at those on a case-by-case basis. Grave robbing is pretty horrible, but the historical significance of the artifact is an important factor. In a lot of instances, I'm okay with re-burying artifacts that are thoroughly studied, measured, and analyzed.
  • motorhead
    2 years ago
    On the surface, yes, it seems obvious that looted treasures should be returned. But it’s not a simple black and white issue.

Many antiquities came from regions where modern countries didn’t even exist 300-500 years ago. Who are you going to return items that came from the area that is now Pakistan for example?
  • Icee Loco (asshole)
    2 years ago
    Yeah stolen relics should all be returned. Taking them was an attempt at cultural genocide

• TheeOSU
    2 years ago
    ^

Speaking of relics, you've been here posting forever iceyboi, first as davids then dougster and who knows how many other names. You call others old but you're tuscl's original relic.
    I bet you creak when you jack off while trolling tuscl.
  • TheeOSU
    2 years ago
    Lulz!!!
  • TheeOSU
    2 years ago
    *** SLAM DUNKED THAT FAGGOT RELIC ICEYDOUGSTER ***
  • Tetradon
    2 years ago
    I love when intentional flamebait (like OP often posts) inadvertently turns into a thoughtful, nuanced discussion.
  • Icee Loco (asshole)
    2 years ago
    Theosu. Do you have a drinking problem? Old man in a Midwestern shithole trolling a strip club forum.
  • TheeOSU
    2 years ago
    ^ Lulz!

Except for the location I'd swear that you're describing yourself dougee but then again you've been so many different things here maybe the location is also accurate.
    Go plan your trip to pakistan loser LULZ!
  • 48-Cowboy
    2 years ago
    You make no sense at all Kent. Were you in remedial classes?
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion