tuscl

Investors reset

twentyfive
Living well and enjoying my retirement
Now that the Russian stock market has become just about worthless it’s time to re-evaluate holdings in China and other countries that aren’t working Democracies, autocrats are being shown to be poor risks for capitalism. One person in control like Putin or Xi doesn’t fly anymore. Those Russian oligarchs that Putin surrounded himself with have made his army and weapon systems useless. Now you see where all of the defense spending in Russia really went, into mega yachts, expensive private homes, aircraft, but the Red Army is driving Soviet era vehicles and their vaunted fighters have been getting their ass kicked by fighters from a country with less than 1/3 of their population. Time to divest your portfolio of any money that is held in countries ruled by autocrats.

31 comments

• twentyfive
    3 years ago
    P. S. The real description of Russian Oligarch system is a Kleptocracy
  • Tetradon
    3 years ago
    Lack of transparency is a huge problem in these places. No one wants to tell dictators bad news.

Gotta wonder what's going on in China. Peaking rates of COVID. Foreclosures.
  • san_jose_guy
    3 years ago
    That is the way it goes, people get suckered into putting money into these markets because they are booming. And then after they collapse, the decide to re-evaluate.

Fortunately some of us are smart enough to put money into our own affairs.

SJG

Ginger Baker's Air Force - What a Day (1970)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X62VL2kR…
  • shailynn
    3 years ago
    “ Fortunately some of us are smart enough to put money into our own affairs. “ - what would that be? Collecting aluminum cans?

I remember reading how the world feared Russia during the Cold War because they’d release all these propaganda files showing endless lines of tanks, military vehicles and soldiers when in reality it was a much small ground that just kept going around the block. 10 tanks looked like 100.
  • Papi_Chulo
    3 years ago
    A bigger risk is how most countries are tied to Russia’s commodities or China’s manufacturing (including needed pharmaceuticals) – we should have been decoupling from these authoritarian states by now; these are states that are bent on ruling their regions and in the case of China ruling the world – the We$t has made it possible for these dictatorships to become ultra-powerful and the We$t has given them the rope to hang-us with.
  • san_jose_guy
    3 years ago
    And Shailynn poised to restart Robert Tilton's prosperity ministry, except that his mom wants him to keep singing in the West Texas Christian Glee Club. She pulled him out of high school and has him home schooling, because, "Those girls in your high school are immodest. They parade around pushing their breasts out."

People were concerned about the Soviet Union because it was a strategic nuclear super power. Russia still is.

Nato will have to go and there be a new defensive alliance formed, which will include are rebuilt Russia.

JSG
  • twentyfive
    3 years ago
    ^ Would you respect the post that I made and confine your discussion to the topic I have an interest in, if you like make your own discussion but stop spamming my serious questions
  • san_jose_guy
    3 years ago
    Direct that at Shailynn there 25. He is the one who started spamming with a personal attack.

SJG
  • twentyfive
    3 years ago
    ^ Second post on this thread is you SJG you have no idea what I’m talking about I have put more money into my own affairs than you will ever see in your lifetime and I earned it myself so cut your shit and show a minimum amount of respect.
  • CandymanOfProvidence
    3 years ago
    JSG? Impostor has been revealed! or an evil twin! or a doppleganger and his doodoofingers!
  • gammanu95
    3 years ago
    For the longest time, I have been an advocate of moderating our global economy and providing the consumer with more data to make informed decisions on what products they buy. For instance, I can see where my seafood came from, if it was farmed or wild-caught, and if it was harvested using sustainable practices. I do not buy farmed, unsustainable seafood from unfriendly or untrustworthy countries. When I buy automobiles, supplements, electronics, clothes, I attempt to buy from friendly countries which have honest and fair labor and trade practices. That is why I barely use Amazon, even though they are cheap as hell.

However, if we decouple or economy from the global economy, the phenomenom of $5-$6/gal gas will occur everywhere. It will be painful, it does not make sense to do that in all commercial sectors, but the US needs to start moving in that direction. This will not only deprive hostile regimes, rogue governments, and oligarchies from profiting off their bad behavior, but there will be more jobs in America, GDP may increase, and we will not be caught flat-footed by the next pandemic or global supply chain interruption. Again, there could be a price increase of 30%-40% on some goods. Americans will have to budget and adjust accordingly.

But first, we need a government that holds itself accountable for anticipating and reacting to these economic changes, instead of blaming the victim for not buying an electric car.
  • san_jose_guy
    3 years ago
    What causes the busts are the booms.

It is always this way, and Trump sought to maximize it.

SJG
  • MackTruck
    3 years ago
    Invest in da shit truck business! I been stockpiling crazyjoe's shit for years and We are loading da shit planez and gettin dem ready for da prezident Trump to say bomb dos fuckerz
  • skibum609
    3 years ago
    Tell me, over and over and over again, my friend; you don't believe, we're on the eve of destruction ...... Everything that ends, ends badly, or else it wouldn't end. Why should the world be an exception to this rule? Think of all the hate, there is in red China, then take a look around at Selma, Alabama. Well, you might leave here for 4 days in space, but when you return, it's the same old place. The pounding of the drum. Pride and disgrace. You can bury your dead, but don't leave a trace. Hate your next-door neighbor, but don't forget to say grace...............Enjoy your few remaining years people.
  • san_jose_guy
    3 years ago
    Cataclysmic wars are nothing new.

Biden and his people are an excellent team.

Financial markets, who knows, anything is possible.

At the end Russia needs to be a democracy, and NATO has to be replaced with a new military alliance which Russia can also be part of. The UN is not such a military alliance.

SJG
  • twentyfive
    3 years ago
    We also need to look at companies in our portfolio that are American owned but do business with these regimes, and we need to look at our exposure to some of the other risks that theses businesses face from places like Pakistan or Egypt that are always on the a knifes edge, to places like Turkey, Hungary and the Philippines and Brazil that are on the cusp of restricting freedoms that we cherish. Ukrainians have taught us a valuable lesson about eternal vigilance being the price we need to pay to live freely and own our democracy. Capitalism is great, a real engine of prosperity, but it requires democracy , to prevent it from becoming a kleptocracy.
  • san_jose_guy
    3 years ago
    Yes that is right. Look at that because the professional managers of the insurance, hedge, and retirement funds, the people who in large measure set the prices, do not know these things. So you are finding edges that they don't know about, so you will be well prepared to bet against them.

SJG
  • Muddy
    3 years ago
    At some point this all this has to catch up to itself.
  • san_jose_guy
    3 years ago
    Yep!

But no one knows how weird this is going to get first.

SJG
  • bkkruined
    3 years ago
    Before investing in anything in a place ruled by a dictator, remember the only rules that matter is his will.

There is no law. Whatever you think the law is can be changed overnight. And in extreme cases, opponents disappear...

The economy is run by corruption. It's not an aberration, it is the norm. And I'm not even talking about bribing officials, those officials own the industries!!!

30 years ago there was no private industry in China or the Soviet Union. So, how the fuck do you think all these people got rich?

Sure, some Chinese guy's came up with tik tok and found some new thing everyone wanted and it exploded and they got rich!!! But there are too many yachts and not enough tik toks in the rest of the story. Gazprom sure as hell didn't just start overnight, someone in the Russian government, or with friends there, took it over, sold shares in it, got filthy fucking rich from it, spread some bribes around, probably killed a few people here and there if they complained, or at least had them jailed...

Sound like a good place for your retirement nest egg to grow?

Chinese real estate? These is NO PRIVATE OWNERSHIP of LAND in China!!!! WTF do these people think they are investing in?
  • Tetradon
    3 years ago
    @bkk, China has gotten its tech advantages off of America's back. Rampant IP theft, compulsory licensing (forcing US/EU companies doing business in China to share their tech with the local partner, who is in turn forced to share it with the government), putting their spyware on Chinese-made chips. Now it's loan shark-like debt terms with the Belt and Road, allowing China to take over key ports or resources if the partner doesn't pay their debts on time.

And whenever they aren't taking it, we're giving it, via thinly-veiled spyware like TikTok. We've already given American companies all our data willingly, why not give it to the Chinese too?

And yes, no transparency. It will not end well.
  • san_jose_guy
    3 years ago
    bkruined, but this is also true here. Financializers are a major political constituency. The leadership of both parties know this.

After the Berlin Wall came down we were expecting a Peace Dividend in the form of non-military infrastructure jobs and business opportunities. But instead, this benefit all went to the financializers.

SJG
  • Icee Loco (asshole)
    3 years ago
    Kleptocracy = USA
  • twentyfive
    3 years ago
    ^ Don’t know what your problem is bubbles and truthfully I don’t care
  • minnow
    3 years ago
    Gee, 25, if I did as you asked, I wouldn't have time for tuscl or strip clubs. Wade through 50 plus annual reports for each company in my stock mutual funds or just chill, enjoy strip clubs, and vote in November?
  • Tetradon
    3 years ago
    @25 I'd love to have a decent discussion of stock picks and investing here, but I know it would devolve into:

1. SJG hijacking the thread to rant about the market being a scam
    2. Icee with a semi-literate rant about America being evil
    3. Juice with his latest get-rich-quick scheme
    4. Scrub jumping down someone's throat like above

And 5. Us normies gritting our teeth, yet again.
  • twentyfive
    3 years ago
    @Tetradon
    I don't grit my teeth, I just laugh at 1,2,3, & 4 when I don't care to listen to them I just put them on ignore, but when I need a good laugh I take them off, after all who takes those idiots seriously, any way?
    During a private conversation with one of the dancers here reminded me, those fools are just busted furniture, eventually they'll be replaced or get scrapped.
  • Tetradon
    3 years ago
    @25, yeah, but they either scare off productive discussion or turn it into a flame war.
  • twentyfive
    3 years ago
    ^ I agree founder obviously likes those flamers though
  • skibum609
    3 years ago
    My portfolio just hit 1.1% interest. Looking forward to the Feds raising rates.
  • CandymanOfProvidence
    3 years ago
    I am investing in paper production, chemical companies and cleaning services, for when the shit hits the fan!
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion