tuscl

Strippers are back on the job but COVID rules are hurting their pay

jackslash
Detroit strip clubs
Stripper woes in California.

https://news.trust.org/item/202105180852…

13 comments

• mark94
    3 years ago
    It’s like allowing restaurants to open but preventing them from serving food.
  • gammanu95
    3 years ago
    I know it's not so simple, but the simple answer would be to leave Cali or whatever damn state is holding you back. At least travel out of state 2-3 nights a week to an adjacent state where you will be allowed to earn.
  • whodey
    3 years ago
    "Revenue in the industry is estimated to have decreased 17.4% in 2020" I find it very hard to believe that strip club revenue was only down 17.4% last year based on how long many clubs were closed and what restrictions were in place when they reopened. I find it more believable that total revenue for clubs was 17.4% below their "reported revenue" in 2019 and that most clubs hadn't been reporting their true revenue in the past the same way most strippers don't report their full income to the IRS.

Also, I'm sure it is a drastic cut from what she was used to but $150 for 6 hours isn't bad pay for a lot of people. It's $25/hr which would be $52k/yr if she worked 40 hours per week. That may not go very far in San Francisco but I would guess it is above the median income in the US.
  • Muddy
    3 years ago
    “ Performances are limited to stage dances, with no physical contact with customers. Lap dances and private "VIP" rooms, the source of the majority of a stripper's income, are still prohibited.”

Sounds thrilling
  • nicespice
    3 years ago
    Just a little more patience would be prudent. I get the impression (I could be wrong) Manhattan is going through a mini boom right now, with its post-restriction high. It will probably come to San Fransisco soon enough.

@whodey I’m not sure it’s even possible to work 40 hours a week at a San Francisco club. The dancers are employees and even before that I got the impression most of the clubs (especially corporate) were strict with scheduling. I doubt they would want to be on the hook for paying health insurance.
  • gammanu95
    3 years ago
    San Francisco has one of, if not the most, highest costs of living in the country. $52,000 annually is starvation wages there, and they are not even making that. They can always leave for someplace better. They have the freedom to make that decision for themselves. God bless America.
  • Icee Loco (asshole)
    3 years ago
    It depends. In practice clubs are banking off of guest rappers hookah and mandatory bottle service. $100 cover charges. Youre supposed to have girls in your section and throw money at them.

It worked at first but its not sustainable.
  • Icee Loco (asshole)
    3 years ago
    Some clubs enforce masks when you come in but I haven't seen them enforce them inside
  • DeclineToState
    3 years ago
    ^This is why most SF club dancers don't actually live in SF. Massive majority of SF dancers, particularly those in TL clubs, reside in outlying areas such as Alameda County (Oakland), Solano County (Vacaville Fairfield), and Sacramento County and commute into SF to dance. Plenty of SF TL club dancers don't want to dance full nude, and clubs outside SF all the way to Reno are pretty much all FN.
  • whodey
    3 years ago
    @nicespice I didn't know the clubs were that strict on limiting hours but it would make sense with the employee status instead of independent contractors.

Do they generally have a non-compete clause preventing them from also working in other clubs or could they do 20 hours per week at Club A and 20 at Club B? If not it sounds like they should either get out of SF or find a side hustle because limited hours simply won't be feasible there right now.
  • Subraman
    3 years ago
    If I were heading back to the clubs, this would be a fantastic opportunity to do a little eating and drinking with a pretty girl, and then invite her to OTC. Although even pre-covid, once the emmployee rules kicked in, dayshifts slimmed way way way down on the size of the lineups and it became more common not to be attracted to anyone. I imagine right now it might even be more slimmed down.
  • DeclineToState
    3 years ago
    ->whodey: Do they generally have a non-compete clause preventing them from also working in other clubs or could they do 20 hours per week at Club A and 20 at Club B? If not it sounds like they should either get out of SF or find a side hustle because limited hours simply won't be feasible there right now.

In Calif, compete restrictions on employees are unenforceable. Trade secret restrictions can be enforceable. Are dancer boobies trade secrets? Maybe nicespice’s are.
  • DeclineToState
    3 years ago
    *non-compete restrictions
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion