tuscl

Why are we celebrating a Mexican victory in a battle vs France?

TheeOSU
FUCK IT!
Full disclosure: I'm not celebrating it's just another day for me as I suspect it's just another day for most of you.

So why the hoopla in America over a Mexican victory in one battle that has no bearing on our lives and had no bearing on the USA? My opinion is it's just an excuse for beer companies to sell more beer. Am I wrong?

21 comments

• TheeOSU
    3 years ago
    Exception to my first sentence above would be the missing creep from San Jose who lost internet access after being band from the library is probably dancing around a stolen sombrero in a goat pen out west.
  • Dolfan
    3 years ago
    It's a big taco conspiracy. But I like tacos and beer, so don't tell anyone.
  • datinman
    3 years ago
    Just an annual reminder that tacos and tequila are good.

I'm not Irish, but every St. Patty's Day I enjoy corned beef and cabbage; and a nice pour of Redbreast 15.
  • twentyfive
    3 years ago
    It’s the day we celebrate the great victory of tequila over Hennessy do you get it now.
  • rattdog
    3 years ago
    may 5 = an excuse on the calendar to drink as many tequila shots, modelos and coronas all day and night. but at the right spot you can get to enjoy the visuals of many latinas showing off legs n ass while sporting tight minis. maybe i'll get a bagful of lengua tacos later on.
  • TheeOSU
    3 years ago
    I spent many a night stumbling and or barfing after a tequila binge and i used to fuck a black stripper that was born on May 5th and liked Hennessy but is now doing time in prison. True!
    Does that count?
  • twentyfive
    3 years ago
    Yes that’s actually the point of cinco de mayo
  • TheeOSU
    3 years ago
    Lol, she actually seemed to be proud that she was born on May 5th
  • TheeOSU
    3 years ago
    I just checked a court website, she was actually released a year ago after serving about 4.5 years.
    Happy birthday baby! Lol
  • shadowcat
    3 years ago
    I was reading an article this morning about where the Margarita was invented but they missed the one that I liked best. From Wikipedia:

Hussong's (Cantina, Ensenada, B.C., MX) is reputedly the place where the Margarita was created in October, 1941 by bartender Don Carlos Orozco.[4][5][6] He concocted a mixture of equal parts tequila, damiana (Cointreau is used now) and lime, served over ice in a salt-rimmed glass for Margarita Henkel, daughter of the German Ambassador to Mexico.

I like this one because during the 70's & 80's I spent a lot of time drinking there. I have also been to the town of Tequila, MX.
  • skibum609
    3 years ago
    Suffolk County (Boston) has a holiday every7 March 17. No not Saint Patrick's day, that would be too honest and the rest of the state would get it off. We call it evacuation day, to celebrate the British leaving Boston (fuck the rest of the state) during the American Revolution.
  • wallanon
    3 years ago
    Guessing that TheeOSU is already celebrating today? It's 5 O'Clock somewhere.
  • TheeOSU
    3 years ago
    Nope wall, 1:30
  • CJKent_band
    3 years ago
    Contrary to popular belief, Cinco de Mayo doesn’t commemorate Mexico’s Independence Day, Mexico’s Independence Day is celebrated on September 16.

May 5 marks the Mexican army’s victory over France at the Battle of Puebla during the Franco-Mexican War in 1862.

French Emperor Napoleon III wanted to claim Mexican territory for his empire and sent his troops to Mexico, to install his puppet, Austrian Archduke Ferdinand Maximilian, as emperor of Mexico

Mexican Americans celebrated in the mid-1800s as an act of resistance.

They began to celebrate that holiday because they also wanted to commemorate their acts of resistance during the U.S.-Mexico war, but also holding their own after “incorporation,"

After the US-Mexico war Mexican-Americans who decided to stay after 1848 and become U.S. citizens, realized that all the promises the U.S. had made to them were not going to come true.

They were not going to be treated as equals as American citizens .

Mexican-American communities in the southwest celebrating Cinco de Mayo was very powerful and very symbolic, they identified with the victory of Indigenous Mexicans over European (French) invaders during the Battle of Puebla.

In the United States, Cinco de Mayo has, in some instance, evolved into a commemoration of Mexican culture and heritage

However Cinco de Mayo, like many holidays, Saint Patrick's Day for example are now just an excuse to party, and drink.

Commercialization undermines the true meaning of some holidays.
  • Muddy
    3 years ago
    I would've forgotton it was cinco de mayo if not for this thread
  • skibum609
    3 years ago
    Americans are treated equally. American citizens are just people who live here.
  • bkkruined
    3 years ago
    Most people don't know that back in 1912 Hellman's mayonnaise was manufactured in England. In fact, the "Titanic" was carrying 12,000 jars of the condiment scheduled for delivery in Vera Cruz, Mexico which was to be the next port of call for the great ship after New York City.

Mexicans were crazy about the stuff.

The Mexican people were eagerly awaiting delivery and were disconsolate at the loss. So much so that they declared a national day of mourning which they still observe today.

It is known, of course, as ...sinko de Mayo.
  • Warrior15
    3 years ago
    Any excuse to have a margarita is a good excuse.
  • CJKent_band
    3 years ago
    Some of the history regarding Cinco de Mayo had some important effect on the landscape of North America as a whole.

It is believed the French would have aided the Confederacy in the Civil War, Mexico’s resistance changed the history of the United States.

Pro-Union Mexican citizens in the state of California heavily celebrated the victory at the Battle of Puebla viewing it as a victory for the Union’s cause, later formalizing and spreading the annual celebrations across the United States.
  • Jascoi
    3 years ago
    ‘hick’

salute!
  • Cashman1234
    3 years ago
    This is similar to a Hallmark type of holiday.

It’s simply a day for enjoying some Mexican food and booze.

I never knew this was a holiday until I was a working adult. This was not because of history studies in school - but my parents never ate any Mexican food or beverages.

Enjoy Cinco De Drinko!
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion