tuscl

"Hank Aaron, baseball great who became voice for civil rights, dies at 86"

joker44
In the wind

"Hank Aaron, baseball great who became voice for civil rights, dies at 86"

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/obi…

12 comments

• twentyfive
    4 years ago
    I was just about to post this

R. I. P.
  • magicrat
    4 years ago
    10 Hall of Famers have died in the past year. RIP Henry
  • skibum609
    4 years ago
    Feel blessed I got to seem play.
  • whodey
    4 years ago
    He retired before I was born so I never got to see him play but he has always been a great ambassador for the game. If more of today's athletes behaved like him both on and off the field they would be better off.

His last public appearance was a couple of weeks ago when he got his Covid vaccine as part of an effort to motivate African Americans to get the vaccine. Hopefully that good idea doesn't backfire now.
  • Muddy
    4 years ago
    Has it been 10? It's sad seeing the black and white baseball era gone. There's something just so charming about that time. Who's left? Not many, maybe only Willy Mays. I'm not a guy who's into athlete worship at all, but the kid in me just loves old time baseball. All the stories from my family members gone past. They used to have scrap metal night for the Brooklyn Dodger game where you would bring and turn in scrap metal to the ballpark and it would get you in to Ebbets Field for that night. So you would have people lugging their old ovens down the street and whatnot. Different era.
  • skibum609
    4 years ago
    I am with Muddy on a love for old time baseball. Nice to see hank Aaron remembered and still pissed that the most underrated athlete of all time, Frank Robinson, passed in 2019 with barely a ripple. Triple crown winner, only MVP in both leagues in history, first black manager and a true 5 tool athlete and no one remembers him.
  • Huntsman
    4 years ago
    I’m sad to hear this. RIP Henry Aaron.
  • whodey
    4 years ago
    Skibum Frank Robinson may not have gotten much national press coverage when he passed but there was all kinds of press coverage and tributes here in Cincinnati.
  • ATACdawg
    4 years ago
    Sad. A great player who was always a class act. Would that every player today would emulate him.
  • DeclineToState
    4 years ago
    Friend of mine had brief conversation with Willie Mays when traveling and during chat referenced Hank Aaron and their mutual playing days. Willie's response was: If I'd have played in same home stadiums as Hank did in Milwaukee and Atlanta (instead of Candlestick Park in SF), I would've hit 800 home runs!
  • Cashman1234
    4 years ago
    RIP Hank. He was a class act. I still remember the night he broke Babe Ruth’s home run record - as the channel cut to the replay of his home run - and Hank running around the bases. He had to deal with some fool chasing him and hugging him too.
  • mike710
    4 years ago
    Hank was one of those players that seemed like living legends when I was growing up. Don't think I ever saw him play in person but saw him on TV as a kid. The funny thing is that with all the science involved in the game today, the current stars are probably bigger and stronger, but they don't seem as legendary to me.

I enjoy baseball today but the stars don't seem to hold the same mystique as players from the past. Maybe because you only saw the old players once in a while and now social media has them out there all the time.

I was glad to be able to see Mays, McCovey, Gaylord Perry, Harmon Killebrew, Frank Robinson and many more in person. I guess getting older played a part in understanding the players are just human instead of living gods.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion