tuscl

Jets release Le’veon Bell

Tuesday, October 13, 2020 6:04 PM

26 comments

• TheeOSU
    4 years ago
    Short on time so I didn't click the link to read it but I'm surprised that Bell lasted this long. IMO he blew it when he turned down a huge contract from the Steelers and decided to sit out a year. Back then I told friends that he would never make up the money that he passed on.
  • winex
    4 years ago
    I said the same thing. With very few exceptions, running back productivity drops off a cliff after they hit 30. The deal he got from the Jets in free agency is lower than what the Steelers offered, plus he burned a year of his career.
  • pistola
    4 years ago
    The grass isn’t always greener... They must have had no takers. Not even a 7th rounder.
  • winex
    4 years ago
    Part of that may have to due with Jets management. I will be amazed if he doesn’t find a team this season.
  • Warrior15
    4 years ago
    Shelf life of an NFL running back is not very long. That's why very few teams spend real high draft picks for an RB.
  • winex
    4 years ago
    Plus modern offenses are more reliant on the pass. Stil the same, there is still more gas left in the tank with Bell. And given the rules of NFL salaries, a team could make him the veteran minimum contract offer and the a Jets would have to make up the difference between that offer and his salary with a new team. Pure speculation, but the Chargers could use him right now.
  • datinman
    4 years ago
    I really feel sorry for Trevor Lawrence.
  • winex
    4 years ago
    Well he could end up becoming a Giant. Wait, I see your point.
  • pistola
    4 years ago
    He will land somewhere for sure. Hell he might make a good slot receiver.
  • winex
    4 years ago
    He should be motivated too. He is going to need to build up perceived value in a year where the salary cap may decline by as much as 12.5%
  • rattdog
    4 years ago
    i can actually see a team like kc or new england picking him up and also see him get 1000+ yards from scrimmage.
  • winex
    4 years ago
    Thinking a bit more, while the need to help Herbert in the backfield was obvious last night, Bell would probably be foolish to go to the Chargers. This is a prove-it year, and they don’t have an offensive line.
  • Papi_Chulo
    4 years ago
    The league has changed - RBs are not as prominent in today's offensive-schemes - many teams seem fine w/ running-back by committee vs paying big-$$$ to just one RB - in the last few years it doesn't seem paying a RB big $$$ has given dividends. I do think he'd likely be very successful in either NE or KC and hope he lands on a good team where his talent is not wasted.
  • Cristobal
    4 years ago
    "I really feel sorry for Trevor Lawrence." I agree, if he follows thru on his decision to declare for the 2021 NFL Draft, he is headed to a very bad team, one that could ruin his career. Lawrence is considered a generational talent and that should give him leverage to force his way to another team, if I were his advisors I would start telling the Jets/Washington Football Team/Lions (and the other historically bad franchises) that he does not want to play for them. I am really surprised more top prospects do not force a trade like Eli Manning and John Elway.
  • Papi_Chulo
    4 years ago
    When you are the #1 pick in the draft, very unlikely you end up on a good team whether it's 2021 or 2022 or 20whatever (that is how the draft is supposed to work)
  • Cristobal
    4 years ago
    @papi_chulo. I understand the way the draft works and the perceived competitive balance it should create but I do not understand why the top draft picks like Trevor Lawrence force their ways into better teams/organizations the way John Elways and Eli Manning did. Both those players enjoyed career success while the teams they shunned proved the decision to force a trade was wise, though the Chargers enjoyed regular season success with Philip Rivers they only played in one AFC Championship despite being considered annually a top paper contender. The Jets are the definition of a bad organization and Washington is not far behind, why woukd you let those organization meses up your career, force a trade to Indianapolis or New Orleans.
  • rattdog
    4 years ago
    yes - sam darnold to the colts. either there, chicago or nola
  • Papi_Chulo
    4 years ago
    "... I understand the way the draft works and the perceived competitive balance it should create but I do not understand why the top draft picks like Trevor Lawrence force their ways into better teams/organizations the way John Elways and Eli Manning did ..." If I remember correctly, they got a lot of flack for it (analogous to when Kevin-Durant decided to join an already made good team like GS). It's always been that way and going against the grain is usually gonna garner criticism until it becomes more mainstream.
  • PredragDr
    4 years ago
    #Lose4Lawrence
  • winex
    4 years ago
    @RattDog - the Saints have capnissues. Brees has been doing some cap friendly things for the team, but when he retires, they need to step back for a few years and rebuild.
  • ATACdawg
    4 years ago
    If I was in charge of finding a new running back for my team, I would think long and hard before extending an offer to LB. He is demonstrably selfish and a lousy teammate. The Steelers stuck with him through injury and drug suspension and he repaid them by sitting out for a year despite a damn generous offer. They rightly waived him, along with Antonio Brown. The result? The Steelers are off to their best start in years. LB and AB? Both are out of the league.
  • sweetjamesjones
    4 years ago
    He is signing with the chiefs. The rich get richer.
  • Cristobal
    4 years ago
    From a football standpoint, it seems like a good move, low risk and high reward but if LeVeon is looking for a payday he could become a lockroom cancer and his contribution on the field could be mínimal.
  • rattdog
    4 years ago
    if andy reid uses bell like the way he used brian westbrook the chiefs are really going to be a league nightmare.
  • Heellover
    4 years ago
    Trevor Lawrence is rooting for the Jets and the WFT to win and the Lions to lose. I think he's out of luck. On his way to being a New York Jet. Darnold will be a back up somewhere or traded to Bears or Saints as previously mentioned.
  • Mate27
    4 years ago
    Go Bills!
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion