tuscl

Feel Sorry That He Did Not Get a LT Contract

mikeym
Mostly in Florida
I feel very very sorry for Dak Prescott. That was the worst sports injury I have ever seen.

22 comments

• rattdog
    4 years ago
    he shouldn't have fought for the extra yardage. most he could have got was an extra few yards

worst injuries i ever happen to saw was napoleon mccallum and joe theismann
  • whodey
    4 years ago
    It's bad but I wouldn't say it was the worst sports injury. Not counting auto racing crashes, I'd say the two worst I've seen were Clint Malarchuk taking a hockey skate to the jugular and Kevin Ware's broken leg in the NCAA tourney.
  • Tetradon
    4 years ago
    Don't know if you call this sports, but...
    https://youtu.be/UOSYcM4AJ8k
  • pistola
    4 years ago
    If Kevin Ware was the name of the kid whose bone shattered in half in the NCAA a few years ago while taking a three, that was the worst. Tibia right through the skin... that was gnarly.
  • minnow
    4 years ago
    Indeed a gruesome injury, but I can't feel too "very very" sorry for someone who makes more in 1 year than many people, including some in the c-suite make over the course of a career. (~ $31M). How about feeling sorry for "Average Joe" getting a bad injury or career ending illness with weak health insurance.
  • misterorange
    4 years ago
    Ughhh... that's hard to watch. I wonder if his injury would have been less severe or even not happened on natural grass as opposed to turf. The way his toe was planted and didn't move when his leg got hit... on a grass field it might have just slid and/or dug up a divot and not broke his ankle.
  • WavvyCain
    4 years ago
    That’s why we want our black men paid for their talent 💪🏾
  • winex
    4 years ago
    ESPN is reporting that surgery was successful last night, and that with the type of injury he had, he has about a 4 to 6 month road to recovery.

It is not expected to be a career ending injury.
  • Hank Moody
    4 years ago
    C’mon minnow. Dak was taken 135th in the draft. Took the starting job in his rookie year and worked his ass off to develop into a star. Has made about $3.5 million on his rookie contract. Was in line for a $100 million contract, which because it’s the nfl, is not guaranteed so he’d have to keep earning that salary every year or be cut. You don’t feel bad for him at all because he has talent and exceeded it? I’m a Giants fan, hate the cowboys, and feel really bad for him. That said, he likely still gets paid, but will have to work his ass off again to keep his job.
  • winex
    4 years ago
    There are guarantees with a lot of NFL contracts.

Full guarantees like the one Kirk Cousins received from the Vikings when he left the Redskins a few years ago are VERY rare. But there partial guarantees (aka signing bonuses and other incentives are quite common)

The final numbers were never released, but rumors were that Dak was talking about $110 million fully guaranteed on a 5 year deal that would have averaged about $35 million a year.

The big sticking point between the sides was the length of the deal. Dak’s side wanted a 3 or 4 year deal with similar average per year and less guaranteed because he wanted to renegotiate after the next TV contract.
  • rattdog
    4 years ago
    what would dallas do if andy dalton goes 8-3 or 7-4 the rest of the way?
  • winex
    4 years ago
    Dak was putting up numbers as far as yards were concerned, but he wasn’t putting up wins.

Our defense is very poor.

Historically poor.

That having been said, the remains schedule is weak.

I think that Daltons performance will be evaluated as it should be evaluated - on an adjusted basis determined by the quality of the defenses he faces.

In addition to that, Dak’s progress will be evaluated. The 4 to 6 month recovery I quoted assumes no complications. Well, by definition, a compound fracture means that the bone penetrated the skin. Infection is one common complication that has to be a concern.

If Dalton performs well and Dak heels well, the Cowboys MIGHT decide that they don’t need to pay top of the market for a QB and invest a larger percentage of their cap on the other side of the ball. (Remember, the salary cap is expected to shrink from 199.5 million a year this year to 175 million next year. At over 38 million on a second franchise tag, Dak would be eating up a very large percentage of the total available funds on a reduced cap )

It’s also possible that Dallas tags Dak again.

And another possibility is that this incident causes Dak to value long term stability higher than he has since the end of his 3rd season and not try to hold out for a top of the league salary.

(even if he is a free agent next year, he won’t be signing a deal bigger than what Mahomes got)
  • Hank Moody
    4 years ago
    Minnow (gentleman that he is) shot me a pm pointing out Dak is making $31mm this year on a one year deal. I mistakenly thought he was in the last year of his four year rookie deal. My bad. I still feel sorry for him not signing his deal and the uncertainty the injury causes him and those who depend on him, but Minnow’s point on his current earnings is well taken. 👍🏼
  • twentyfive
    4 years ago
    That’s the luck of the draw, guy was betting all in on his roll and snake eyes came up, he should have a better agent
  • winex
    4 years ago
    Yeah, 31.4 million to be precise.

And he is in a lot of commercials as well.

Also, from what I have read, he has catastrophic injury insurance.
  • twentyfive
    4 years ago
    So all things considered he’s still a fairly wealthy young man who should have enough on the side to live however he likes I doubt seriously we’ll be seeing a go fund me for Dak
  • mikeym
    4 years ago
    Dak was already having a tough year with depression as his brother committed suicide in April (https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/cowboy…)

In addition to the pain from the injury, Dak lost the starting qb job to Andy Dalton. When Jerry Jones sees the success that Dalton has, I believe that the Cowboys will pick Dalton.

As a mobile qb, his rehab will harder than some seem to think and his future to be effective is in question based on what I saw from Alex Smith.

Finally, $31 million before paying taxes and all the leaches that surround NFL players.

I believe the Cowboys offered a 5 year deal, and he wanted a 4 year deal. Based on his track record of being a fantasy football stud but not a winner (think Jameis Winston), I would not offer him more than a one year deal for next season.
  • Papi_Chulo
    4 years ago
    I blame white-supremacy for the injury (b/c hey, everything bad is b/c of white-supremacy) - the guy that invented turf was white - most NFL players are black - no doubt he knew how this would "hurt the black man" and no doubt it was his main motivation for inventing turf - if you can't see this it's b/c of *your* white-supremacy - just sayin'
  • Papi_Chulo
    4 years ago
    IDK if it was Dak's agent, or the players' association, pushing for Dak to be the highest paid (in order to keep contract$ up) - but it seems he was offered a very good contract that was turned-down - I don't think most people see Dak as the top QB in the NFL or even among the top QBs (say top 5) - I'm a Cowboys fan and I like Dak, but I wasn't down with him getting a massive contract that would hurt signing other players in positions of need.

As it often happens; not uncommon for a player to lose his job once injured if the guy coming in plays well - I don't necessarily think Dalton will way outplay Dak, but could be he plays well enough to justify keeping him at a much lower salary and investing in other positions of need.
  • winex
    4 years ago
    It’s Dak’s agent Doug Francis

He always wants top of the market compensation for his clients.

The problem is that although Dak is good, he isn’t elite.

As for Andy Dalton ( who also needs a contract after this season ) vs starting over in the draft next year, it all comes down to resource allocation.

If the go with Dalton, he would probably command a Teddy Bridgewater sized contract.

The difference between that and the 37.6 million that the next franchise tag would cost for Dak, Dallas could add a pretty damn good (near pro bowl caliber) Defensive Tackle and a similarly talented Safety.

Ot it could add an elite player at either position.

You have to judge Dalton this year by different metrics. Both the left and right starting tackles are gone for the season.

So is the most talented tight end.

And, of course, if you are in position to draft. Trevor Lwerence or Justin Fields, that changes everything.
  • latinalover69
    4 years ago
    Waivy Cain, Lebron killed the NBA. NFL going down town too. Fans leaving in droves. Gonna hunt fish hike bike walk jog RV shoot play with dog BBQ etc instead of watching sportsball. Sports is now something for our kids to do, not something to watch or follow. Someday in the not too future, brothas gonna be looking back at pre covid Pro Sports and all the $$$$$$$$ and say 'where my money bruh? And we will say Lebron James, the woke NBA, BLM. Antifa, the democrats, and the leftist and marxists killed the Pro Sportsball Golden Goose bruh. Unfortunately it looks like in the very near future your brothas ain't gonna be paid because the terrible ratings for pro sports means advertisers are going to shun sportsball because no one is watching. sad, it didn't have to be this way. But go woke, go broke. Fortunately Brony is going to walk away from the NBA dumpster fire a billionaire but the rest of the young brothas gonna be SOL shortly.
  • mikeym
    4 years ago
    Oops my bad. Looks like the Cowboys will go back to Dak, if he's healthy, next year after the helmet hit on Dalton:

https://twitter.com/MarkBullockNFL/statu…
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion