tuscl

R.I.P. EDDIE VAN HALEN

rattdog
New York
the man was a master who led a movement to the next level of musical excellence in performance and style.. a genius at his instrument as well as an innovator of sound.

when my time comes i'll be looking forward to your jams with rhoads, hendrix, srv, moore, kath, etc.

17 comments

• datinman
    4 years ago
    Damn. Hate to hear that. 65 is too young, but if you were given the choice of 65 Van Halen years vs 78 mundane years of life. Most would be willing to shave off the extras.
  • twentyfive
    4 years ago
    Damn 65 is scary R.I.P.
  • Hank Moody
    4 years ago
    2020 can fuck off
  • Papi_Chulo
    4 years ago
    He was a gifted musician - it genuinely looked he enjoyed being a good musician vs just doing it for the $$$/fame.

AFAIK he'd been a lifelong chain-smoker and he'd been diagnosed with throat-cancer years ago.
  • winex
    4 years ago
    Resting In Peace doesn't seem appropriate for Eddie Van Halen. May he electrify the heavens with his magical guitar playing.
  • Muddy
    4 years ago
    He was such a cool dude. Some say Hagar vs Roth but I was always happy as long as I had Eddie Van Halen shredding
  • TheeOSU
    4 years ago
    Sorry to see this news. I didn't even know he was sick but even though he deserved more years I'm sure he had a great life.
  • winex
    4 years ago
    @TheeOSU - he has battling throat cancer for about a decade. In recent months, it spread to his brain and other organs.
  • yahtzee74
    4 years ago
    With Neil Peart also passing earlier this year that's two of the most influential rock musicians at their respective instruments from the 70s and 80s. Massive losses to the rock world.

• crosscheck
    4 years ago
    ^ Agree 100% Rush is my favorite band. Van Halen definitely top 5. 2020 truly sucks.
  • londonguy
    4 years ago
    I saw Van Halen in the 80's, Eddie was brilliant but Lee Roth was so high he ruined the show. I walked out.

Saw Rush three times pre Farewell to Kings album. They were great until then but that album onward I didn't care for them.
  • misterorange
    4 years ago
    Steve Vai article in Rolling Stone magazine. A tribute to EVH. An interesting read and a fitting eulogy for Eddie. It shows how greatness inspires both competition and camaraderie.
    I like how he refers to him as "Edward" and "Edward Van Halen" rather than simply "Eddie." It's paying tribute to him, the way you would with a classic, historical artist like "Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart."
    https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music…
  • rattdog
    4 years ago
    i'm not a subscriber of that rolling stone rag mag. but what i've heard was that dweezil zappa was friends with eddie and would invite him to the zappa household. there vai and eddie would jam. i don't remember if frank zappa joined in any of the jams. this was before vai went on with roth.
  • yahtzee74
    4 years ago
    Rolling stone has always has been the worst music magazine.
  • rattdog
    4 years ago
    yeah hard to take a music mag that seriously when they give many yoko ono solo albums 4 star reviews.
  • Cashman1234
    4 years ago
    RIP Eddie. Sad to hear of his passing. I never saw Van Halen live - but great memories of listening to their record albums as a teen remain. He was one of the guitar greats!
  • WavvyCain
    4 years ago
    Helped give Michael Jackson his biggest hit with beat it. Rest In Peace
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion