tuscl

A Third Of COVID-19 Deaths Are In Long-Term Care Facilities

Saturday, May 9, 2020 8:01 PM
that is a lastest news i found..... we are at 80000 deaths now in the states, and of course a white house staff has corona.... and i believe trump had a meeting with all the generals today.........who knows what is going to happen.......

16 comments

• bdirect
    4 years ago
    if your lucky to have a mother or father that is still alive......... i hope they are at a house and not at a LT-Care Facitlities
  • Papi_Chulo
    4 years ago
    If you're gonna post stats/facts, post a link of the source - if it's something you just heard then state it's something you heard
  • JamesSD
    4 years ago
    NPR is citing the 1/3 number. It may take us some time to really process the impact of covid. Most of the deaths are older people and those with other conditions. Of course there are also terrible cases involving children
  • RandomMember
    4 years ago
    Link from NY Times: [view link] "One-Third of All U.S. Coronavirus Deaths Are Nursing Home Residents or Workers" "At least 27,600 residents and workers have died from the coronavirus at nursing homes and other long-term care facilities for older adults in the United States, according to a New York Times database. The virus so far has infected more than 150,000 at some 7,700 facilities." It's even worse in some states. In my state (Colorado) the share of state deaths at nursing homes is a whopping 58% as of early May.
  • Warrior15
    4 years ago
    Yeah, I had heard the number was closer to a half of all deaths also. That is why Florida is way down the list in deaths even with the older population. They locked down those facilities very early and tight.
  • Cashman1234
    4 years ago
    It’s been unpleasant to hear of the deaths at NJ nursing homes. Sad to hear about folks unable to see their loved ones and getting the virus and passing. The more I hear about the virus - the less lethal it seems to be for healthy folks. If the nursing home deaths - and preexisting conditions - are taken out of the numbers - it’s not as lethal on the healthy population.
  • Musterd21
    4 years ago
    I heard on different news sources that it is a man made virus. Then the same news source says it is not. My son says it is a hopped up bad cold on speed. lol at any rate I am still working but I wash my hands, very, very often and really good. Of course I always did and I keep my hands away from my eyes. I am retired twice with two pensions so I really don’t need to work. Just do it for fun and for my wife’s uncle.
  • goldmongerATL
    4 years ago
    The surprising thing about Florida is the 65+ population percentage is not that much higher. The US average is about 16% 65+. Florida and of all places Maine are the highest with 20.5%. You get this image of Florida with like a 40% 65+ population. I found this by googling population over 65. [view link]. This is some population think tank. I am assuming their numbers are accurate as they cite the US Census. BUT, this article is also a good example of how people play with numbers. Subtitle: "One Quarter of Older Americans Live in California, Texas and Florida" Shocking, right? Maybe this is because those three states have over 27% of the TOTAL population. The three states combined have LESS THAN the national average of old people! Scroll down in the same article and California and Texas are both in the BOTTOM 6 of all states in percentage of 65+. Many of the "old" states are northern or poor states where young people are leaving in droves.
  • bdirect
    4 years ago
    exactly right goldmongeratl....... good post......the older population went thru 1929-1939 deep depression,,,total collapse with band closings......plus,that cause hitler to rise and ww2,,, then korean war.....then a boom 1960 to 2020
  • twentyfive
    4 years ago
    @bdirect not very many left that went through the 1929-1939 deep depression, the youngest of the WW2 veterans are ninety-four years plus, and not many of them are left, either, Korean war vets are all in their eighty's or older, What constitutes our older population is mostly folks in their seventies and eighties, the majority are more likely to be Vietnam vets and/or draft dodgers like our esteemed President Trump, but yes @goldmongerATL is correct, the population of Florida is still large majority under 65, only 20.7% of the population of Florida a state of over 20 million is actually over 65 years of age.
  • Lone_Wolf
    4 years ago
    Imagine if we applied all the trillions and resources to protecting the care homes instead of shutting down the economy. Things would look a lot different now.
  • silkypants
    4 years ago
    In Minnesota deaths from long term care facilities is 80% of Minnesota's total. Case number are still pretty low compared to other more active areas. Due to the lock down and the difficulty of having funerals, the state of Minnesota bought a warehouse to keep the bodies in. [view link]
  • SuperFreaky69
    4 years ago
    There have been more deaths in NY nursing homes, 5350, than total deaths in every state except NY and NJ. CA had twice the population of NY, 2769 total deaths. Cuomo had a lot to answer for. [view link] [view link] May 11th data
  • bdirect
    4 years ago
    so to sum it up....... over 2/3 of deaths in america are from NY and Long Term care facilities combined
  • Papi_Chulo
    4 years ago
    ".... Doctors keep discovering new ways the coronavirus attacks the body ..." Article is a bit long but has some interesting info: [view link]
  • Papi_Chulo
    4 years ago
    WHO warns that coronavirus cases have jumped in countries that eased lockdowns Several countries that have lifted coronavirus restrictions and reopened businesses, including China, have seen jumps in coronavirus cases, underscoring the “challenges that may lie ahead,” the World Health Organization warned Monday. “In the Republic of Korea, bars and clubs were shut as a confirmed case led to many contacts being traced,” WHO Director-General Dr. Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said during a press conference at the agency’s headquarters in Geneva. “In Wuhan, China, the first cluster of cases since the lockdown lifted was identified. Germany has also reported an increase in cases since the easing of restrictions.” Tedros urged caution as more countries seek to ease such restrictions and jump start the economy. He added that South Korea, China and Germany have all rolled out surveillance infrastructure such as broad testing and tracing to alert authorities in case the virus does reassert itself. Before any country begins to lift restrictions, they should have the epidemic under control, ensure that their health systems are able to cope with a potential resurgence and have necessary testing, tracing and isolating infrastructure in place, Tedros said. “Countries put these stringent measures in place, sometimes called lockdowns, in response to intense transmission,” he said. “Many have used the time to ramp up their ability to test, trace, isolate and care for patients, which is the best way to track the virus, slow the spread, and take pressure off the health systems.” Serological, or antibody, studies show that a relatively low portion of the population has antibodies to Covid-19, which means many are still susceptible to the virus, Tedros said. He added that the WHO understands the economic costs of shutdown measures and encourages countries to take “a slow, steady” approach in lifting restrictions. The lifting of the shutdown measures represent “some hope,” said Dr. Mike Ryan, executive director of WHO’s emergencies program. He added that “extreme vigilance” is needed as well as the necessary public health infrastructure, which some countries have yet to implement. “Many countries have made very systematic investments in building up their public health capacities during those lockdowns. Others have not,” he said. “And we need every country to put in place the necessary public health measures, public health surveillance, in order to be able to at least have a chance of avoiding larger second waves later.” The apparent resurgence in cases abroad come as dozens of states across the U.S. begin to reopen nonessential businesses and lift restrictions. Some states such as Texas reopened business, even as new daily confirmed cases continued to rise, according to epidemiologists. The U.S. has run just under 9 million coronavirus tests in total as of Sunday and ran over 277,000 on Sunday, according to data compiled by the Covid Tracking Project. On Saturday, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration issued the first emergency use authorization for a new category of tests to help rapidly detect coronavirus antigens. [view link]
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion