tuscl

Fox steadfast on bias news reporting? Trump favoritism over the top?

Estafador
BIG APPLE
Saturday, January 25, 2020 6:49 AM
What say you folks on this Article on Fox by CNN: [view link] "Asked to name media companies in which they have trust, 65% of Republicans named Fox News. One in 3 named ABC. And that's it. Not a single other news source was trusted by even 33% of self-identified Republicans in the Pew poll. That's in stark contrast to both Democrats and the population at large. More than 1 in 3 Democrats named 13 media sources they trust. The general public named 8: ABC (48% trusted), CNN (47%), NBC (47%), CBS (45%), Fox News (43%), PBS (42%), BBC (35%), The New York Times (35%) and MSNBC (34%). (Note: The pollsters went through 30 media sources with the respondents.)" The chart is in the link.

28 comments

• rickdugan
    4 years ago
    Esta, if the title was your takeaway from that then you need to think a little harder. The reason that Republicans don't trust those other news sources is because they have proven, time and again, that they cannot be trusted to report a story straight. Every story is a spun editorial now. Some will now shamelessly publish outright speculation and uncorroborated accusations as if they are indisputable facts. Then of course there are the myriad of stories that they choose to ignore, most especially when it doesn't suit their political agendas. There was a time when the news media was the 4th estate and I wish it still was. But nowadays they pander to specific groups who drive their viewership because they've found that those groups prefer biased reporting. By the way, Pew was one of the same outfits that published polls showing that Clinton beating Trump by a wide margin. They are not particularly well known for polling integrity or accuracy. About the only news source that I trust anymore is the Wall Street Journal, which has a broad readership of all political stripes. Also, the only polling source I trust anymore is Rassmussen, which was about the only polling source to get the Presidential election right.
  • twentyfive
    4 years ago
    ^Oh yes Fox is the source for the straight scoop bwahahahahaha.
  • rickdugan
    4 years ago
    I didn't say that either 25.. Read my last paragraph again - as slowly as you need to. ;)
  • twentyfive
    4 years ago
    I read it slow enough to understand you my friend, Bwahahahahahaha
  • RandomMember
    4 years ago
    When looking for news sources I look at the number of Pulitzer Prize winners and top goes to (in order) (1) NY times (2) WaPo(4) AP (5) LA Times (6) WSJ with NY Times having twice as many Pulizers as 2nd place WaPo. All of these do a decent job of separating news from editorial content. They all live and die by getting the facts straight. I currently have paid subscriptions to NY Times, WaPo, and Economist. I grew up in metro LA and it would arrive in paper form every day while growing up. LA Times changed hands, but it used to be a terrific news source. I had paid subscription to WSJ for decades and it's a good source of news, especially foreign policy. Authoritarian regimes either own the news or they have success manipulating the news. Trump is a master at manipulating the media and Fox has become the official mouthpiece for Trump propaganda. It's a real problem because Trump lies *constantly* and everything he says needs to be fact-checked. Agree completely with @Esta and it's a very big problem as the country slides into chaos. Nate Silver at 538 has gained a lot of praise for his statistics-based reporting and data-science skills applied to polling. Rassmussen has was one of the worst records for right-wing bias and Silver adjusts the Rassmussen results based on their on their past predictive performance. Rassmussen gets a rating of C+ over on 538. Fox News polling actually isn't bad.
  • founder
    4 years ago
    I saw this article come up in my news feed yesterday and read it. The title of the article was "This 1 chart explains how bad Fox News is for our politics" The actual "chart" in the article was blurry, and I couldn't read the text. Yet somehow, CNN wants me to trust them? Also, if editors were still a thing, they'd have changed the digit "1" to the word "One" in the headline. But you be you, CNN. (FWIW, I don't watch FOXNEWS at all)
  • twentyfive
    4 years ago
    @founder this is the problem everyone has their own news feed, and we don't react to the same set of facts anymore.
  • gammanu95
    4 years ago
    CNN, second only to MSNBC in terms of sheer bias, published a poll that FOX News is the least trusted new source in America. Wow, I am certain that poll is just as honest and reliable as the rest of their reporting. $500 says that does nothing to improve their tanking ratings.
  • bdirect
    4 years ago
    new is boring, i get my news from Tuscl discussion board,, most of americans are traditional and will support trump......like it or not,,, but the left wingers own the media, and the country until trump got into the white house, they cant believe it, and want to take him down, using fbi and impeachment,,, but cnn is very powerful source of news around the world, that is all they watch in foreign lands,
  • founder
    4 years ago
    @twentyfive, my point was NOT about my newsfeed, rather it was about an Opinion Article on [view link] that was pushing 1 (one) "Chart". The "Chart" was not legible on my phone. Why, tell me, would [view link] not publish a higher resolution chart? That's my point. We have lost all the editors at our "news sources". If you want us to believe you, do a better job editing.
  • twentyfive
    4 years ago
    ^ It wasn’t about yours or anyone else’s news feed maybe it’s not clear but everyone sets their own newsfeed differently as a result we discuss the other side by assuming that we are the only ones with the correct facts, I don’t think any organization give the news unadulterated any more, that wouldn’t sell enough soap or fill enough airtime
  • founder
    4 years ago
    Once again, I'm not taking any side. I'm simply stating that they had a low resolution chart, and the whole article was about the chart. Am I the only one who finds that funny?
  • twentyfive
    4 years ago
    @founder don’t know if you remember but a while back we discussed the border and I don’t know if you remember me saying I don’t disagree about the need for borders it’s the politics surrounding the border that are such a problem Cut through the political bullshit on most subjects you’ll find many actually agree on the issues, it’s the nuances that create all of the turmoil.
  • woodstock
    4 years ago
    founder, you're not the only one. The issue appears to be that, when networks made the switch from one hour of news per day every evening, to 24-hour "news" all the time, the quality of that news dropped because editorial oversight went down, and the bar for what is considered newsworthy dropped to near National Enquirer levels. I could go on, but I won't.
  • founder
    4 years ago
    Thanks woodstock... I'm glad someone understands my gibberish.
  • bdirect
    4 years ago
    fox news does have the best girls with skirts and leg show to keep you watching
  • Nidan111
    4 years ago
    I trust news media (any of them) about as much as I trust politicians (any of them). They all sleep together. Operation Mockingbird is probably still very much alive.
  • RandomMember
    4 years ago
    As far as the trial goes, "The democrats are relying on facts, but the republicans are relying on Fox" --Maureen Dowd
  • san_jose_guy
    4 years ago
    Fox is 100% biased on all matters all of the time. It has always been this way. It is absurd. I do not listen to it at all and I suggest that no one else does either. It feeds the Lizard Brain. "The democrats are relying on facts, but the republicans are relying on Fox" --Maureen Dowd Random Member +10 Jeffrey Toobin on impeachment trial: Trump is winning here [view link] SJG
  • mark94
    4 years ago
    The romanticized view that journalism was once a pure and unbiased source of news is hogwash. It has always been a politically biased advocate, going back to the earliest days of the Republic. The Spanish American war of 1899 was forced on us by these so-called journalists. The current arrangement with Fox on one side and the Mainstream media on the other spewing propaganda is the way it has always been.
  • Estafador
    4 years ago
    @Founder the chart seemed extremely clear to me. I could even zoom in and the resolutions was a ok
  • Fun_Loving_Fella
    4 years ago
    @Estafador, I looked up the article. It was odd because when I viewed it through google I could tap on the chart to open the image and zoom in. It was cystal clear, I could read every word. Then I hit the “view on CNN” button and could no longer view the chart in the same way. It was blurry and when I zoomed in it just zoomed in on the blur. I don’t know enough about the internets to explain why google was able to give me a better view when they’re not even the original source
  • Fun_Loving_Fella
    4 years ago
    > The current arrangement with Fox on one side and the Mainstream media on the other spewing propaganda What bothers me is that the viewers on each side know With every fiber of their beings that the other side is spewing propaganda and their side is delivering the golden truth of god
  • Mate27
    4 years ago
    No shit, of course Fox is biased in order to gain viewership. Just like msnbc Rachel Maddow draws a bunch of carpet munching dikes to her show.
  • Fun_Loving_Fella
    4 years ago
    What’s the difference between three lefts and two wrongs?
  • Estafador
    4 years ago
    @Meat72 but is Fox's viewership really growing? According to various statistics, their core viewers are people over 70. AND millennials are very far from that. And that's the core audience tv needs to keep alive until the next gen gets old enough
  • Mate27
    4 years ago
    Blog viewership are increasing exponentially. Most educated People get their news from multiple online sources, even from sites like this one. At least I do.
  • san_jose_guy
    4 years ago
    Hey, I agree about the Spanish American War, that was William Randolph Hearst in action. Fox has never been anything but a psychological attack and sanity and rationalism. Roger Ailles had cut his teeth working for the Tobacco Industry, blocking the passage of CA's first attempts at indoor air protection about 1979. He ran this campaign called "Californian's for Common Sense", using what are now called Thelma and Louise spots. This is how the Republican's do it. Today we know that these sorts of appeals target the Lizard Brain. Its just the most bullshit that money can buy. Fox is total nonsense. But some people believe it. If held up to the light of truth, the Fox version of affairs will never stand up. SJG Adam Schiff: No meaningful impeachment trial without John Bolton [view link] If Trump wanted to help his party he could just promise not to run in Nov, or he could just resign. This would give them a chance to come up with a reasonable candidate. Humble Pie-30 Days In The Hole [view link] Frampton, Do You Feel Like We Do [view link] SJG's Photo Album [view link]
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion