OT: "American Woman"

jackslash
Detroit strip clubs
I came across the recent movie "American Woman" on HBO. I had not heard of it before, but I found it very moving. It is the story of a single mother whose teenage daughter goes missing one night. She is left to raise her daughter's baby while working at low-paying jobs and dealing with her disapproving mother and sister. This is the tale of white working poor Americans in real circumstances in a small Pennsylvania town.

"American Woman" has no direct connection to strippers. However, the movie reminded me of the family of my ATF and other strippers I've come to know well. The characters drink and smoke, engage in messy sexual relationships, experience economic insecurity while working at jobs like cashier or waitress, swear and fight with each other, and engage in domestic violence. They are poorly educated and have no prospects for success, but they love--and hate--their family members. If the movie had included drugs, it could be a portrait of my ATF and her family.

After all the superhero movies, this was a breath of fresh air. It tells us about real Americans in real life. I recommend it.

https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/ameri…

1 comment

• Electronman
    5 years ago
    I've grown weary of movies about comic book heros/villains and animated Disney movies.
    Thanks for the recommendation for American Woman.
    I also recommend Parasite and Jo Jo Rabbit.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion