tuscl

So, what time is it?

DandyDan
North Iowa
I look at the times listed for the messages and they don't seem to relate to reality at all. Just curious if something is wrong with the time?

12 comments

• chandler
    17 years ago
    Dan, this site's time stamp has been wrong ever since last month's format change. To compound the confusion, it is now displayed in 24-hour format. First, it was on Pacific Daylight Time, no matter where you were. For the last couple of weeks, it has been about 6 hours 24 minutes behind Eastern Daylight Time. So, your message, time stamped at 00:49, I take it was posted at 7:13 AM EDT or 6:13 CDT. My last message from last night, displayed as 18:36 was posted at 1:00 AM EDT.

It's confusing, but it's consistent. Founder has said he's working to fix it.
  • founder
    17 years ago
    This has been hard to fix. The javascript code we used witht the old format isnt working witht the new format.
  • Book Guy
    17 years ago
    I'd suggest (though I'm no computer genius) using "Zulu Time" rather than "Greenwich Mean Time." There's something in most time servers and protocols that understands the difference between the two (which I don't).

I can see how it could be a problem -- a thread is started by a dude in Los Angeles at noon Pacific time; it's responded to at 11:30 by someone in Mountain time; and therefore the response appears to have happened before the initial post. Geez, the nightmares ... :)

Maybe part of the sign-in cookie could include a type of time-stamp, so that the user's current time zone ... oh never mind, I'm sure you've thought of it ... :) ...
  • FONDL
    17 years ago
    I'm puzzled, why does anyone care what time a post was made? I don't think I've ever looked at the times.
  • shadowcat
    17 years ago
    BookGuy: I hate to bust your bubble but Zulu, GMT and UTC ( coordinated universal time) are all the same thing. Trust me I have been dealing with them for the last 43 years. All Air Traffic facilities around the world, all aviation weather and all air lines use it and the 24 hour clock. This is done to avoid confusion and mistakes. Boeing recently flew it's newest jet from Hong Kong to London nonstop. Can you imaging how many times zones they passed through and how many different air trafic control facilities were involved. We let the computers convert it for the civilians. I would not have a problem with all posts being in Z time. I just want to know if a post was before mine or after.
  • chandler
    17 years ago
    FONDL: It's simple. The 'Last Reply' time tells me whether anybody has posted to a topic since the last time looked at it, without having to open it again and scroll to the bottom. It saves me time.
  • FONDL
    17 years ago
    Chandler, I just sort them all by most recent post and keep reading the topics that interest me til I get to one where I posted last. Works just fine.
  • chandler
    17 years ago
    Fine for you. I'd rather skip those steps if I can tell nothing new has been added by glancing at the time.
  • DougS
    17 years ago
    So far, I've had to revert to making a note on my desk that has the date/time stamp of the last discussion thread that I've read. This seems to be working out SLIGHTLY better than using my previous method of opening and reading the last few posts to determine if I've read it before or not.

• chandler
    17 years ago
    Doug, you can go by the time stamp if you just remember to add about 6.5 hours for EDT.....and keep in mind that the offset could change at any time.
  • shadowcat
    17 years ago
    F is making some progress. I just noticed that the last post is now rising to the top. I like it.
  • shadowcat
    17 years ago
    Oops, now its not. I guess that it is being worked on though.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion