tuscl

Alexander Acosta resigns as labor secretary

jackslash
Detroit strip clubs
The slimy Acosta, who gave the sweet-heart plea deal to the pedophile Epstein, resigns. But he still did not apologize to the victims.

https://nypost.com/2019/07/12/alexander-…

22 comments

• Clubber
    5 years ago
    jack,

Like you,, I don't know all the facts, but from what I heard, were it not for the deal Acosta worked. The "pedophile Epstein" also earned the labeled of a “Level 3 sex offender” — meaning the worst.

So for that, if true, I thank Acosta. That label with what he is now facing, well just might be no amount of money is going to buy him a "get out of jail" card this time. Plus he may take over prevs with him.
  • mark94
    5 years ago
    It was the states attorney in Palm Beach who ( intentionally ? ) screwed up the case. Acosta got involved late in the process and did what he could to salvage it.
  • jackslash
    5 years ago
    From what I've read, it appears that Acosta was the author of the corrupt deal. Now he's trying to avoid responsibility by blaming everybody but himself.
  • san_jose_guy
    5 years ago
    Sounds like Trump's people over all are really just shit.

SJG

Rhapsody In Blue: Gershwin
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynEOo28l…
  • Nidan111
    5 years ago
    @SJG. I personally think EVERY person playing in the political game are nothing more than narcissistic pieces of shit, no matter what side of the isle they are on. We, the subservient population simply have to live our own personal lives the best we can. They, the politicians, don’t give two shits about the people who put them there. I serve my family and my friends. I feed them, I protect them. I look to absolutely nobody else to do so.
  • san_jose_guy
    5 years ago
    Trumps people are a new low. And the Democratic Party is for the most part good people.

SJG
  • Icey
    5 years ago
    One of the biggest problems in this country is the cultural belief that the rich are beyond reproach. Conservatives bank off of this to do all the shit they can.
  • ime
    5 years ago
    Ha SJG remains woefully out of touch, the democratic party is unmatched possibly in history as being the most corrupt and scum filled bunch ever.
  • RandomMember
    5 years ago
    I'm not following all that closely. I thought Trump's comment about Acosta at the press conference was hilarious:

"He’s a Hispanic man. He went to Harvard."

Lol! As if that clears everything up. Trump's token Latino in the cabinet. I guess if he were white and went to Suffolk Law School he might be a corrupt scumbag.
  • san_jose_guy
    5 years ago
    The Democratic Party, at least its more progressive wing, really does represent the people.

SJG
  • Clubber
    5 years ago
    jack,

Can't speak to what you read, but I heard the States Attorney for Florida SAY what I stated. Were it not for Acosta, the pedo would have skated!

Especially that Level 3 designation!
  • Hank Moody
    5 years ago
    Maybe the state didn’t have anything on him, but why didn’t the feds (Acosta) prosecute? They apparently had a 50 page indictment detailing crimes with multiple girls? Acosta said some refused to testify, which is plausible to a point. But there were lots of victims and then they hid the plea deal from the victims. Something doesn’t seem right. If it truly was the best deal feds could get, it would’ve been reported differently at the time and even in hindsight. Just glad this POS looks like he’s facing real justice. 14-16 year olds aren’t “underage women.” They are children.
  • Clubber
    5 years ago
    Jimmy,

Wasn't the feds.
  • Hank Moody
    5 years ago
    Clubber -

I’m missing the point of your post. Could you clarify? “What” wasn’t the feds? Acosta was US Attorney for FL (feds) and made decision to cut the deal rather than prosecute when they had a 50 page indictment drafted.
  • skibum609
    5 years ago
    The guy may be the worst type of creep, other than being a filthy rat progressive. The people represented by the filty rat progressive wing of the democrats are leeches, criminals, foreigners and welfare rats. They make Acosta, who at least got the pedophile to plead a bad case, is better than they are. Jeffrey Dahmer, were he alive would be a bit worse.
  • Clubber
    5 years ago
    Jimmy,

Just figure that if he is being tried by the state, and the feds did as well (unless completely different charges) seems the defense would have a slam dunk for double jeopardy?
  • Hank Moody
    5 years ago
    Ah, gotcha. Maybe Rev or another lawyer can chime in but as I understand it that’s not how double jeopardy works. You can’t be tried for same crime twice. You can be investigated again and again, I think even charged for the same crime twice. It gets a bit complicated when you mix state and federal, but I think you have to go all the way to a verdict, or close to.

Epstein was never tried by the state, so there is no state v federal double jeopardy issue. What is an issue is whether his plea deal (same as a verdict in this instance) protects him against further trial by the feds. Most of the accounts I’ve read are pretty confident it doesn’t because he’s being charged with different crimes than the ones covered in the plea deal.

Double jeopardy issue aside, and also Acosta’s excuses aside, it seems Epstein got off pretty lightly based on the evidence they had. On top of that, based on the accounts (not yet evidence) it seems he did this to dozens of children over many many years.
  • Hank Moody
    5 years ago
    I have to correct one mistake I made that I think Clubber had right - Epstein’s guilty plea was to state charges. Just saw that in Jack’s NY Times article about Epstein’s girlfriend. I was confused because it seems clear Acosta negotiated the plea, and he was a federal US Attorney, but the charges were state charges. Odd, but I guess that is what happened.

I think most of what I wrote re my understanding of double jeopardy and Epstein’s situation is correct but I wanted to clean up my mistake. Oops.
  • mark94
    5 years ago
    Epstein’s deal was for crimes committed in Florida. The new charges are for crimes committed in New York. Different crimes. Different locations. No double jeopardy.
  • skibum609
    5 years ago
    You cannot be tried for the same crime twice. If you are chrged in state court and enter a plea deal, you cannot be tried for that crime in Federal Court, or in another State Court. You can be charged and tried for different crimes.
  • boomer79
    5 years ago
    You can be charged in state and federal court for different charges which as a practical matter are the same crime. Why the feds were bound in Florida is because they gave a non-prosecution agreement in exchange for the same plea. The question is whether the agreement covered the entire department of justice or just the Florida office. Epstein will argue DOJ in Washington signed off on it and that it should cover all related federal crimes. From what I gather the wording may not say that but the intent is unclear.

As far as double jeopardy the State of New York could definitely file charges depending on whether statutes of limitations would apply.
  • Clubber
    5 years ago
    Jimmy,

In my book, They should just toss him in prison with a whole bunch of BUBBAS and lose the key!
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion