tuscl

NFL Combine

flagooner
Everything written by this member is a fact.
Monday, March 4, 2019 3:35 PM
I watched the players do a drill for a few minutes. It was a DB drill. They backpedaled 10 yards, turned around, and sprinted 20 more yards. Our population is about 13% black, but 16 of the 18 participants I saw were black. (I rewound to do a count) Granted, it's a small sample size. But what do you think explains this statistical anomoly?

12 comments

• JamesSD
    5 years ago
    I can't imagine anything more dull than the NFL combine. That said it's probably a mix of factors. The legacy of slavery, as bigger, stronger slaves were probably more valued and frankly encouraged to breed more. Also people from the African continent seem to just be better runners overall, probably due to distribution of body weight and muscle mass. A third factor is the same reason a lot of entertainers are people of color: if you have economic Privelege you are less likely to roll the dice on a high risk high reward career like athletics or entertainment than if you are less affluent. We're quite good in this country at identifying the athletically gifted poor kids and routing them to better schools to play sports.
  • JohnTitor
    5 years ago
    Ask Jimmy the Greek and Al Campanis why!!
  • flagooner
    5 years ago
    Who are they?
  • JohnTitor
    5 years ago
    Two old-school dudes who lost their jobs & careers over their televised comments regarding the superiority of black athletes. Jimmy the Greek was a famous prognosticator & analyst for the NFL Today on CBS, which was their lead in show before the games on Sunday. Campanis was a long time exec for the Dodgers. Their downfall was very, very swift after what they said. I'm sure that youtube has clips of each, but I was too lazy to seek them out and post links. Both events were very memorable. It fell in line with the gist of the topic posted here about the combine.
  • RandomMember
    5 years ago
    Fortunately you'll never breed @Dougster, and the planet is better off without your pathetic gene pool.
  • Clubber
    5 years ago
    flag, My question is, why are you even concerned?
  • flagooner
    5 years ago
    ^ @clubber. Not concerned. Just wondering what kind of racist explanations some morons would come up with. Why are you concerned that I might be concerned?
  • Mnaz
    5 years ago
    If one of thirteen Americans is black, then if the 18 defensive backs at the NFL combine were randomly selected from the overall population you’d expect 2 defensive backs to be black and with 90% confidence the number of black defensive backs at the combine would be between 0 and 5. Since there were 16 blacks defensive backs at the combine, you should conclude that the 18 defensive backs at the NFL combine were not selected randomly from the overall population.
  • flagooner
    5 years ago
    I'd say it's closer to 1 in 8, but the logic still holds.
  • Mnaz
    5 years ago
    I realized the error right after I posted. Very sorry. Math humor is not easy.
  • Clubber
    5 years ago
    flag, One concerned about race is a racist in my book. I don't judge anyone other than by their character. I could be called a "characterist". I guess.
  • flagooner
    5 years ago
    People who claim not to notice race when they see someone, and then claim to only judge people by their character are usually closet racists in my book.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion