tuscl

Momma-don't-know money

For the married guys, or the divorced guys, have you ever heard the term "Momma-don't-know money", which refers to, obviously, funds that your baby-momma doesn't know about? Is that an aspect of marriage that just about every guy can relate to? I remember my Dad would talk about his Momma-don't-know money, and I also remember my Mom commenting that a man who hands over his paycheck to his wife is a "smart man." Is that how most American marriages are? A tug-of-war over your money & freedom?

14 comments

• goldmongerATL
    6 years ago
    Makes me think of guys I work with. Older guys that still CASH their paycheck at a bank. Do not trust checking accounts, banks or especially their wives. Give their wives cash and the wives drive around town paying as many of the bills as possible with cash. They convert their savings into old silver coins for the coming collapse of society or a nuke war with the Russkies. Either that or they buy odd parcels of undeveloped land in the middle of nowhere because they ain't making any more of it. Yes there are still people stuck in 1960. I'm sure that is how their father before them and their father's father did it before that.
  • orionsmith
    6 years ago
    Are there still jobs that are not direct deposit?
  • lolruned
    6 years ago
    ^

Yes, there are many jobs that pay under the table (i.e minimum wage)
  • shadowcat
    6 years ago
    I've never heart that term but I suppose it means money that you hide from your wife to spend on things that you don't want her to know about. Like going to strip clubs. I had a hidden bank account that she did not know about. The statements, etc went to my company mail box. It was still always a challenge to put money away without her knowing about it. Divorce fixed all of that . :)
  • gawker
    6 years ago
    I never had a problem. My wife's paycheck, and later her pension check were direct deposited into my account.
  • Cashman1234
    6 years ago
    Sorry. I’m not hip to that lingo.
  • goldmongerATL
    6 years ago
    No, these are not under the table. These are skilled labor union guys that have maintained the option of an actual check. Another factor is this fear that one day the money will not go in direct deposit. They want it placed in their hands.
  • rickdugan
    6 years ago
    I think that a lot of married guys who club have ways to divert or hide a bit of cash. I know that I do as there is just no way to justify a large enough cash withdrawal necessary for a full club experience, with OTC included. I own a business, which makes it much easier, but I do believe that many companies also offer salaried employees the option of having a % of their checks deposited into a second account.
  • skibum609
    6 years ago
    As a divorce lawyer I intentionally stay away from cretins who use terms such as the one in the original post. Women are better savers anyway.
  • houjack
    6 years ago
    I told my wife when dating there was no fucking way I was gonna have our paychecks go to a joint account. At the time, I said this because I saw a married coworker talking about how he needed permission to buy a video game. Fuck that noise. I told my wife there was no way I was gonna do that.

Joint account for joint bills. We put equal amounts in there. Everything else can spend as we please. I'm so glad we set that precedent. Especially now that I club, lol.
  • RandomMember
    6 years ago
    "...Mom commenting that a man who hands over his paycheck to his wife is a "smart man." Is that how most American marriages are? A tug-of-war over your money & freedom?"

After all these years, my wife and I still have separate investment accounts. She's more of a daredevil in the market, and my accounts balance the risk with more conservative investments. I make a half-assed attempt to keep a savings account for stripper and sugaring money. A good divorce attorney could probably figure that out in a microsecond, and ( I think ) half the money pissed away would be awarded to my wife. I'll probably be married to the day I die though...
  • georgmicrodong
    6 years ago
    Gods, I’m glad I don’t have to hide that shit.

I’ve seen more guys doing that than not, though.
  • mjx01
    6 years ago
    exactly why comingling bank accounts is a horrible idea
  • pensionking
    6 years ago
    If your significant other isn't cool with your hobby (and divorce is not in the offing), consider these ideas:

1. When golfing or dining with a friend, pay with credit card and pocket the cash for his half.
    2. When filing expense reports at work, have them paid by paper check, not direct deposit. Cash them and create a cash stash.
    3. Have taxable investment accounts set up to mail you dividends by paper check rather than reinvest. Cash stash #2!
    4. When you go to ATM to get cash for you and the wife, pocket your 1/2 of the cash. Pay for everything with credit card other than SC. Gas, coffee, donut, hot dog on the golf course . . . everything. She'll probably burn thru cash as fast as you spend on your one cash hobby.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion