tuscl

club bouncer extorted $20-$40 from me. ever experienced this?

gothamyte
from that Adam Westsiiiide of Gotham
ever been extorted by someone at the SC......for non-sexual stuff?

what would you have done in this sitcho?

this happened long ago. i was visiting a relatively safe, 'hood SC, but in a rough part of town (especially at night). happened to park my car directly across the street, which was rare: usually i parked on the same side of the street as the club, but blocks away. that day i "got lucky" there was a spot directly across the entrance. at some point in the night, probably before going home, i noticed that i lost my keys. jumble of keys were on it: house, car, etc. couldn't find my keys anywhere. kept going to my car to see if it was locked inside of it and was checking the actual street when suddenly the bouncer, who is standing outside the SC and had been watching me silently, says "you're looking for these?" and holds up my keys. i'm elated. but then he says pay me if you want them back.i can't remember if it was $20 or $40. prolly $20.

at first i thought it was a joke. i was going to refuse because i had a spare on me. but there was also my house keys on it, office keys and spare keys to other family member's cars on it. it'd be better to have my keys back. i thought of reporting him, but he was a big dude and i thought as soon as i'd go back inside (without my keys to report him) he looked like the type to jog on over to my car, open it and take whatever he wanted. now he knew exactly which car the keys belonged to and who owned the car. also, i'd been in the club awhile before i noticed my keys were missing--he also looked like the type of bouncer who'd stand outside call one of his buddies and ask them to go off and make copies of my keys for him while he continued to standby outside as a bouncer so he could hit me up, later.

i felt that his extortion of $20-$40 was not a suggestion or an offer but an absolute statement. i paid him. good thing i still had $ on me but as i remembered, i usually was very thrifty at that particular SC for no reason. i may have gone to the atm nearby too.

all i could do was privately wish him bad karma. and yeah, i didn't go back to that SC for a long while.

42 comments

• JohnSmith69
    7 years ago
    Once I left my cell phone in the VIP. My blow job was particularly enjoyable and Mary Jane was in another world. So I went back and the guy has my phone at the VIP check in desk. He just kind of held the phone. Obviously waiting for a tip. I gave him a $20 which seemed to be acceptable. Wasn’t pissed, I was glad to have found my phone.

You could call the cops which would eventually result in your keys being returned. But I wouldn’t want the hassle.
  • twentyfive
    7 years ago
    You prolly should have gone home gotten your AR and blown the place up. ;)
  • gothamyte
    7 years ago
    thought about calling the cops on him, but he seemed like the type of dude that had thought that out already. like, if i went to call the cops, he would've just literally thrown my keys, or locked them up somewhere inside the club and deny, deny, deny. then what? i remember feeling that he wasn't asking me for $20-$40, he was absolutely warning me i'd better pay or worse things could happen. not physical harm, but but it would be in my best interest to pay.

this happened long ago. before cell phones. now that i think about it, a bouncer like him in the 'hood prolly goes through accidentally lost items a lot. and finally figured out a way to make money off of it. i'm sure he had a full-proof plan against cops or whatever. he had my keys the whole time. he saw me go back and forth to my car without saying anything to me at first.
  • Papi_Chulo
    7 years ago
    Strip-clubs are a seedy business and it's all about $$$ - extortion is part of the pay-to-play business-model - one has two choices for the most-part;

1) don't visit strip clubs

2) pay the piper
  • shadowcat
    7 years ago
    Years ago at the Goldrush in Atlanta a bouncer tried to gouge me for $20 but I called his bluff. I was going to VIP with a dancer and he wanted another $20 so that she wouldn't get called on stage during that 30 minutes. I know she just got off stage so I told him no .

Well he was back checking on me every 5 minutes. So no fun to be had. I cut it short and left. This is what is known as greasing the bouncer. I leaned the hard way.
  • realDougster
    7 years ago
    "This is what is known as greasing the bouncer."

@gothamyte - there's a guy here that's an expert on greasing bouncers, but I can't remember who it is...
  • DeclineToState
    7 years ago
    ^That's fucked up.

Only time I've ever been gouged by a bouncer is paying $5 to bypass the scanning of my driver license.
  • DeclineToState
    7 years ago
    ^The fucked up comment was meant to apply to shadow's story
  • crotchrocket
    7 years ago
    Well, you did lose your keys. And he did find them. So the polite thing to do was say Thank you and hand him a $20. The fact that he demanded the 20 before handing them over makes him a douchebag.
  • Papi_Chulo
    7 years ago
    @crotch

Would you expect a $20 tip if you found someone's keys?
  • gothamyte
    7 years ago
    i also posted this so we can all be aware. not that we aren't when we hit the SCs, but as a reminder.

and to hear other stories of extortion to keep us all on our toes.

• Cashman1234
    7 years ago
    I’m not sure why this is such a big deal. $20 to get keys back seems like a reasonable amount. I would have tipped the guy $20 for finding them - if he hadn’t asked.

Your answer to this question will tell me a lot about you: What would you have done - if the bouncer didn’t ask for money?

I’ve tipped guys at clubs in sketchy neighborhoods to watch my car several times. I never thought twice about the money either.
  • rh48hr
    7 years ago
    What a d-bag. Not a whole lot you can do in my estimation. But I'd love to hear if anyone has a simple solution to this. There are solutions, but not ones that seem simple If you don't know management at the club.
  • Papi_Chulo
    7 years ago
    No one is entitled to a tip for returning something that belongs to you and doesn't belong to them - let alone demand a tip to return you YOUR PROPERTY
  • rh48hr
    7 years ago
    I agree Papi, and I don't know if there's an easier solution, but the best I can think of is start to call the police to call his bluff.
  • Papi_Chulo
    7 years ago
    Like anything related to strip-clubs, one is on their turf and they have an advantage over you - not much one can do except play ball (similar to when a dancer rips you off and she already has your $$$; not much you can do) - I may have paid the $20 but not more than that - and if I was in an unfamiliar area even harder to stand your ground - plus in the pre-Uber days you may be stuck w/o your keys - and even w/ Uber you may be stuck not being able to get into your place.

One can call the cops but these douches are often street-smart and they can easily get rid of your keys and deny they ever had them.

No easy solution when dealing w/ someone not playing by the rules.
  • Jascoi
    7 years ago
    twenty bucks in this case was probably worth it.
    butt certainly less would have been better.
  • jaredlucas
    7 years ago
    Bouncer is dick. I would have called the cops on him
  • gothamyte
    7 years ago
    again, this happened years ago--before cell phones if i remember right. and i can't remember if it was $20 or $40 he charged me. because i remember being mad at the amount too.

>Your answer to this question will tell me a lot about you: What would you have done - if the bouncer didn’t ask for money?

had dude not asked me for money i wouldn't've given him any, of course. but i'm a different type of cat, tho. i don't equate money with 'happiness' or 'fulfillment'. so maybe i'd would've bought dude his favorite drink inside. and i think that establishment did offer some light food, so i'd offer him that. or pay for a table dance for him. somehow him asking me for money directly was foul. because as papi_chulo said, it's my property. thanks for finding it but everybody loses stuff. i'd kinda expect that from a dancer to be foul like that, but a bouncer? i didn't see that coming.

by the way, this was a club i'd been to multiple times in the past. i'm sure the bouncer had seen me before. we never conversed or nothing. that's what made the whole thing so odd. i wasn't a newbie at the club. and i've seen him again when i returned to the club years later. i marked my 21st birthday there (alone.)
  • Cashman1234
    7 years ago
    Regardless of whether you think it’s extortion - you were in a strip club. People pay for things they wouldn’t normally pay for (outside of the club). In strip clubs - almost every interaction is based on money. The keys were yours - and the bouncer found them. Outside of a club - I’d expect a person to just give the keys back. But with a club - even though it’s a dick move - it is another transaction.
  • rickdugan
    7 years ago
    shadow posted: "Years ago at the Goldrush in Atlanta a bouncer tried to gouge me for $20 but I called his bluff. I was going to VIP with a dancer and he wanted another $20 so that she wouldn't get called on stage during that 30 minutes. I know she just got off stage so I told him no...Well he was back checking on me every 5 minutes. So no fun to be had. I cut it short and left. This is what is known as greasing the bouncer. I leaned the hard way."

Funny shadow, when I last visited Goldrush, I had a fantastic uninterrupted time with a young beauty. Of course, I paid the shakedown, which they called a "stage skip fee" that was being split evenly between the manager and the DJ.

But this is something a little different. Voluntarily paying a guy to stay away so that you can have sex is one thing. Having your car keys held hostage is quite another and not something he should have expected a tip for. Having said that, the guy did do the OP a solid by finding them, so...
  • flagooner
    7 years ago
    Put a cap in his ass.
  • twentyfive
    7 years ago
    ^^^that does it, I’m taking away your constitutional right to own a gun. ;))))
  • flagooner
    7 years ago
    Your pushing it. I might have to start patronizing you.
  • realDougster
    7 years ago
    ^^Start?
  • twentyfive
    7 years ago
    ^^^ Puleeze flag, keep your characters straight. ; /
  • flagooner
    7 years ago
    If I were to create a parody profile, I'd at least parody the member I made the profile for, not just post as a regular member.
  • twentyfive
    7 years ago
    ^^^ stop patronizing me realoutofduckster
  • orionsmith
    7 years ago
    I would have asked for his name and remembered his description. Paid him some money to get my property back and then reported him to management of the club and chain if in a chain and called it extortion at the strip club which can be considered a crime by itself and bad for business in general because I do public reviews online. Now if a manager paid me back the extortion fee, I would stay quiet about it. I might even tell him that was extortion which is a chargeable crime before he took the money so if he had a brain, he might realize if he takes the money, he may be fired.

I've found people's phones in clubs and never expected a tip. If someone kept it, I would call the police and have them charged with theft and the find the phone app would make it ring. The police in some locations would be more than happy to be able to file charges at a strip club unless they were paid off illegally.
  • joc13
    7 years ago
    The "VIP reserved section" tables at Oasis are nothing but a bouncer shakedown. Kind of ridiculous looking when the club is 75% empty and there are 15 "reserved" tables. I remember the club being more crowded, and guys spending more money on the girls, when such nonsense didn't exist.
  • orionsmith
    7 years ago
    If I was loaded with cash and 20 or 40 bucks was peanuts and I was super busy, I'd just pay the fee and get out of there. I'd probably still report it though so that management could fire him. That's the least I could do to help everyone else and even help club management know there is a thief working at their club. A tip would be voluntary. Extortion is pay up or else.
  • orionsmith
    7 years ago
    I've gotten people fired without even trying.
  • orionsmith
    7 years ago
    I prefer just to mind my own business and not cause trouble. A dancer told me I was trouble out of the blue one evening. I know enough to cause trouble, You can also cause a strip club trouble if city officials or others with power are looking for ways to shut a club down. I'm not working for a city or trying to cause trouble. Give me no trouble and I leave happy. The trouble I caused in the past people deserved it because they were costing a club business and I was a regular customer not breaking any rules. If employees steal from customers, customers leave and clubs lose money they could have made. It's easy to cause trouble. It's when you stay quiet and let small crimes go unpunished that causes more trouble for others possibly the club as well.

I remember a club was successful until a dancer started routinely stealing from customers. Some complained in the club before walking out angrily never returning. Fast forward 2 years of small crimes going unpunished by strip club workers. Club isn't busy at all on what used to be a busy weekend night. City is trying to shut the club down with a new ordinance. Dancer steals from me a regular of hers. I also walked out angrily after saying something. Thought about not ever returning. Instead I did the right thing and reported it online to the club and chain. I didn't want to bother with the police. Some clubs you get ignored if you have a general complaint. This club and chain took immediate action. Unfortunately the city successfully shut them down months later but I did return and the manager actually thanked me. I remember when I returned and told someone I sent the email, I was wondering if I was going to be immediately kicked out and not kicked out in a pleasant way. Was I looking for trouble? I was treated special afterwards. Manager and still working bouncers would wave to me on future visits or shake my hand in the club. Dancers seemed to treat me different. So much for remaining anonymous and blending in with the crowd. I had to stop visiting after less than a year. Club was shut down. Too close to a church.
  • goldmongerATL
    7 years ago
    Gotta remember you are dealing with a roidhead. Although it sound like OP would not have tipped, the bouncer could have simply said "Hey, my man! Do I get a tip for finding your keys?" Most people would have greased him and fely positive, not negative. the way he did it just created resentment.

But he's a bouncer. He doesn't give shit what you think of him.
  • crotchrocket
    7 years ago
    @papi No, but I'm not a stripclub bouncer hustler.

What I'm saying is pretty much what you said a few posts after your question to me: "one is on their turf and they have an advantage over you - not much one can do except play ball (similar to when a dancer rips you off and she already has your $$$; not much you can do) - I may have paid the $20 but not more than that - and if I was in an unfamiliar area even harder to stand your ground - plus in the pre-Uber days you may be stuck w/o your keys - and even w/ Uber you may be stuck not being able to get into your place."

The point being unless you were a complete newb, you should have known the rules were different when you walked in "a relatively safe, 'hood SC, but in a rough part of town".

The savvy thing to do was don't fucking lose your keys in a stripclub.
  • Tits510
    7 years ago
    After paying the extortion fee, would the cops dust your keys for his fingerprints?

Another way to nail him is to start your phone recording in your pocket. You then approach and ask for your keys. Then whammo, you got him on record. This tactic only works if you're in a jurisdiction, where only one party needs to know a recording is being made.
  • Dominic77
    7 years ago
    I agree with the others that the OP did lose his keys and the guy did him a solid favor by returning them. I tend to offer small rewards as well, though most people decline. But some people are less than honest or are very self serving. And the world can be a cruel place. Don’t lose your keys or wallet again is the best advice. The reward was your tuition for today’s lesson. Strip Clubs and seedy spots like this are the part of the map where it reads: There be dragons here.

The police aren’t going to do much for a nonviolent crime, in my experience. I wouldn’t expect them to dust for prints. LMAO.
  • twentyfive
    7 years ago
    Surprised that none of you pointed out that the bouncer could have kept his mouth shut and waited till you went away and gone through your stuff, stealing potentially much more than $20.
  • flagooner
    7 years ago
    ^ True, but ie's still a dick move. Ie would be a much more pleasant life for everyone if people would just treat others the way they would like to be treated in return.
  • twentyfive
    7 years ago
    ^^^ I thought you would at least excercise your 2nd amendment rights and put a cap in that bouncers ass.
  • Cashman1234
    7 years ago
    Good point Flagooner. That’s probably way beyond the mental capacity of a roided up bouncer. They aren’t strong at free thought.
  • Dominic77
    7 years ago
    @flagooner, The golden rule is in short supply these days, unfortunately.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion