tuscl

Ford road side service.

shadowcat
Atlanta suburb
Sunday, February 25, 2018 8:10 AM
My new Mustang [view link] came with a 5 year roadside service. I have a premium account with AAA and have been happy with their speed. Should I drop it? Anybody have good or bad experiences with Ford road sideservice?

39 comments

• twentyfive
    6 years ago
    Check your auto insurance policy you might be covered avoid paying twice for roadside assistance.
  • shadowcat
    6 years ago
    25 - I dropped my ins coverage a long time ago in favor of AAA.
  • twentyfive
    6 years ago
    That seems like a smart idea if your policy charges more than AAA, but my understanding of many insurance policies actually use AAA as their service provider.
  • twentyfive
    6 years ago
    ^^^Although AARP offers a pretty good discount for AAA
  • shadowcat
    6 years ago
    I'm not a member of AARP and have no desire to pay $12 to join. I don't need them to get senior discounts. I think most ins polices limit how far they will tow your vehicle. My premium policy with AAA is unlimited but I've only had to call them for dead batteries and a flat tire once.
  • galiziabob.sabbatical
    6 years ago
    My roadside assistance with towing is 67 cents a month with State Farm. 92 cents for my other car. I got rid of AAA so fast!
  • Papi_Chulo
    6 years ago
    Ford & AAA probably work similarly in that they subcontract with local operators, thus it's probably overlap unless Ford has a max towing distance that's not too good (AFAIK AAA basic only has about a 3-mile free towing to get you to the nearest garage, I have the next level up that provides up to 100-miles free towing). An advantage of AAA is that they'll dispatch one of their own people if it's just a dead battery or flat tire, and thus you may get quicker service for those things. I'd say yiu can have AAA as a backup but you probably don't need it (assuming Ford's free towing distance is acceptable).
  • ppwh
    6 years ago
    I dropped AAA a couple of years ago when I got my a new Ford because of the roadside assistance. I just happened to look it up again yesterday (being a man who enjoys a certain level of mileage). Turns out that 60K miles / 5 year will run put closer to the 3 year mark for me. The thing about the Ford Roadside Assistance is that they only tow it to the nearest Ford dealer, while AAA Premier will do 200 miles. Also, the AAA Premier will cover situations like helping get your car back home in case of a wreck far from home. I have been willing to risk it with a new car under warranty and full coverage insurance. I only bumped AAA up to the Premier when doing a fair amount of long-range driving on a car with over 100K miles and liability-only insurance.
  • sinclair
    6 years ago
    Nice ride, shadowcat. I too have Ford Roadside and AAA. It is overlap, but the AAA membership pays for itself just in what I save on hotels and tourist attractions in a year. After 5 years/60,000 miles, I will just continue with AAA solely.
  • Clubber
    6 years ago
    sc, Not sure if they still offer it, but buy a Harley, join HOG, and roadside for ALL your vehicles is dirt cheap. Also, a big PLUS, you are now a rider!
  • minnow
    6 years ago
    +1 on sinclair post.
  • twentyfive
    6 years ago
    @ Clubber another excellent reason to buy a Harley Davidson.
  • shadowcat
    6 years ago
    I think I'll keep both but sorry Clubber, I'm no Willie Nelson. :)
  • Papi_Chulo
    6 years ago
    @shadow Is that your actual car? Niiiiiiiiiiice!
  • shadowcat
    6 years ago
    Papi - Bought it Friday night. 2018 Mustang GT Premium. 460hp 10 speed automatic with all of the whistles and bells. The color is called Royal Crimson.
  • Papi_Chulo
    6 years ago
    !
  • goldmongerATL
    6 years ago
    Be careful with manufacturer roadside assistance. Check the fine print. I had it with my latest new car and ran out of gas. Not covered. The manufacturer roadside assistance was free ONLY if a warrantied part failed and disabled the vehicle. Otherwise, get out you wallet.
  • Clubber
    6 years ago
    Now I understand the interest. FORD... (F)ound (O)n (R)oad (D)ead
  • gammanu95
    6 years ago
    Neither, I use the roadside assistance plan on my mobile phone (AT&T)
  • gammanu95
    6 years ago
    and congrats on the new ride, sc
  • joeblow44
    6 years ago
    @ Clubber I Thought was Fix Or Repair Daily. Lol. Very nice car Shadowcat. Hope to one day afford a car like that. Maybe if I stop clubbing, I could.
  • Jascoi
    6 years ago
    i am impressed with your selection of cars. i have aaa road service and drive a used six year old prius.
  • VeryBigDawg
    6 years ago
    Another new Mustang. Rub it in Shadow. :)
  • Papi_Chulo
    6 years ago
    You should have given your old Mustang to VBD
  • Clubber
    6 years ago
    44, Yes, that is another. And how about Failure On Race Day?
  • Clubber
    6 years ago
    sc, Seriously, I've never been a Ford fan even though I had 4 Ford company cars. Still, nice pick for your new wheels!
  • Clubber
    6 years ago
    I am putting in my order tomorrow for my Aspark Owl. A 0-60 MPH Run in 1.921 Seconds!
  • vincemichaels
    6 years ago
    Wanna drag ??
  • Cashman1234
    6 years ago
    Nice mustang Shadowcat! Nice color. Very good power too! I’d keep both. I’m sure there are some irregularities in the fine print - and hopefully AAA fills in the gaps in the Ford coverage.
  • Clubber
    6 years ago
    vm, "drag" has quite a few meanings. :)
  • shadowcat
    6 years ago
    Uh OH! I just discovered it comes with no spare tire. Instead you get a flat repair kit. No sure I can live with that. I may buy a doughnut.
  • twentyfive
    6 years ago
    The car should come with a direct connection to Roadside Assistance. I know you declined but it’s like asking founder for an edit button. ;)
  • Cashman1234
    6 years ago
    It’s important to check what sort of spare tire situation the new vehicles have. It’s bizarre they skip it like that. Are the tires run flat?
  • shadowcat
    6 years ago
    I took care of it. Ordered a spare wheel & doughnut for $255.
  • GACA
    6 years ago
    The only problem I had with Ford Roadside Assistance is that it only toes you to Ford dealers
  • GACA
    6 years ago
    AAA tows wherever you ask. So there's some limitation to the Ford Roadside Assistance coverage. And the fees get pretty exuberant over a hundred miles.
  • vincemichaels
    6 years ago
    Ouch !! Drag as in drag race, Clubber. :)
  • JohnBuford
    6 years ago
    NICE whip. I love the color.
  • Clubber
    6 years ago
    vm, I think I got that out of my system years ago. Was a state champion in '68. Still my favorite form of auto racing. Check this and it's about 6 years old! [view link]
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion