tuscl

board rules?

Mickkeyc
Florida
Monday, December 4, 2006 4:32 PM
So is it fair to say that you should not talk about people and specific acts on the discussion boards?

9 comments

• Book Guy
    18 years ago
    Casualguy: I disagree on your "simple internet rule." It IS true, that a LOT of posting can eventually be ascribed to its true owner and author, given an investigation by some computer department that has resources and intelligent computer dudes. So, when we pick an anonymous TUSCL name ("Book Guy", heh) we aren't really saving our necks. But that doesn't mean that the rule goes as far as to suggest we WILL get our necks cut. There's presumption of privacy; there's the maximal trouble that the FBI computer dudes would have to go through for minimal gain (giving me absolutely no legal grief for admitting I received legal lap dances once? har ...). What you're posting has great bearing on how careful you should be.
  • casualguy
    18 years ago
    The simple internet rule for all electronic communication is to not post, email, or instant message anything that you would not want read aloud on national news and identified as yours. However I like the idea saying you're telling a story to spice things up and stories can be fiction. If you think of strip clubs as one big fantasy to escape reality, then it all makes sense.
  • Mickkeyc
    18 years ago
    Good point chandler. Perhaps the economics of this board do not include person(s) to enforce such a policy. But a list of such prohibitions would provide a basis by which posters could monitor their own behavior / transgressions.
  • chandler
    18 years ago
    Or, is your question is more general, referring to whatever got Shadowcat banned, and what rules are there or should there be? I agree that TUSCL sorely needs some published guidelines. It's a fairly standard thing with most discussion boards to state what isn't allowed, and what will get deleted or get you banned. There are probably boilerplate forms that TUSCL could use with little modification. Most such policies are painfully obvious, and are inherently the right of the site to enforce, including the kind of deletions that have been made. At least by posting them, we would all know what we're agreeing to when we post here, or the site mod/admin/whatever can point to them when the clueless complain about their enforcement. The problem is that it takes time to manage all of this. I think TUSCL's hands-off policy is dictated as much by a desire to save time as a belief in free speech. As we've seen, when it comes around to limiting speech by editing objectionable content, this site's approach is to do it the most expediently, however crude the results.
  • chandler
    18 years ago
    Mick: Were you mainly asking about posting details of illicit behavior along with stripper names? If so, I think the crux of the issue is the confidentiality that is implicit in a private dance. Unless she gives you permission, you're honor bound not to tell the whole world what happened in private between you. This expectation can be alleviated when it occurs, for example, at a club that is already well known for extras. Should TUSCL enforce a rule against posting details along with stripper names? In my opinion, absolutely not. Who's to say whether the poster has received permission, or whether the situation at that club makes it no problem? Also, where do you draw the line between suggestive hinting and explicit details? However, I think TUSCL should include some guidelines on the site, perhaps even in the window for posting reviews. It's obvious that many posters never even consider the question, or, if they do, figure there's no harm to them so why not.
  • casualguy
    18 years ago
    I could easily go to some other discussion board if I wanted a heavily edited and modified discussion board. I actually like the mostly hands off approach. From time to time the Founder has laid down the law such as no posting of pics and made a few improvements such as allowing ignore for users. Overall I think it's been ok.
  • casualguy
    18 years ago
    Well if someone commits a crime against me and I know their name, I'll surely mention it. However for a dancer to commit a crime when they could easily dance for their money instead, is the height of stupidity in my opinion. It happened to me before but I think I may have only mentioned their stage name. I guess if I was really upset, I could have listed their full name, home address and phone number since I could have easily determined that in spite of what some dancers may think that they are safe if they commit a crime. I didn't press charges against her and dropped the matter after the manager of the club refunded some stolen money. I caught a dancer picking my pocket but didn't realize what she did until she ran away. I managed to refrain from an immediate confrontation with her and instead informed management and decided upon a course of action afterwards. I once talked about one dancer did and the club was raided within a few weeks. Someone must have believed me. Now I'm just a low key person not looking to cause any trouble even though I seem to know how to easily cause it.
  • FONDL
    18 years ago
    I don't think you should ever mention a girl by name as doing anything illegal. In fact you probably shouldn't even mention illegal activites in any specific club unless you're trying to get the place raided.
  • happylap
    18 years ago
    That sounds like a reasonable assumption, unless you want to get someone in trouble.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion