tuscl

I wonder if I can qualify for food stamps?

shadowcat
Atlanta suburb
HARRISON TOWNSHIP, Ohio -- Prosecutors say food stamps were being used to buy lap dances at a strip club in Ohio.

A months-long investigation led to raids at several establishments in Harrison Township, reports WKEF.

"In short, the Harem was being used basically as a sex and drug den," said Montgomery County prosecutor Mat Heck.

Now, five people are in jail and there are warrants for six more for what prosecutors say was happening inside The Harem.

"Undercover agents witnessed a number of liquor violations, including dancers in full nudity. They witnessed illegal drug transactions," Heck said.

Heck said undercover agents bought drugs from the defendants and "observed the trading of food stamps and the cards used to obtain food stamps in exchange for sex acts, for lap dances, and even for illegal drugs."

Desiree McDermott lives near The Harem.

"You really don't know what people do behind closed doors. I really don't know what they've been doing, but I think it's good that they got caught," McDermott said. "There's kids coming up and down, going to school. I go to work. I ride the bus. We don't want to see that stuff. We don't want to deal with that and have the kids see that growing up."

The investigation at The Harem led officers to Sharkey's and The Living Room. Both are facing sex and drug charges.

Sally Elams lives close by.

"This is where I live, and I care about my community, so I'm going to do everything I can to combat, you know, anything I don't want in the community that isn't good for us as a whole," Elams said.

She said neighbors used to protest in front of the strip clubs but gave up.

"I think a lot of people feel like the justice system has failed us," Elams said.

"The residents of Harrison Township are frustrated and really angry at this illegal activity, and I don't blame them," Heck said.

A hearing will decide whether The Harem will be closed permanently. The other establishments are already back open.

8 comments

• jackslash
    7 years ago
    I know strippers who sell their food stamps at a discounted rate, often to other strippers. Dancers also sell their excess prescription drugs. Who would guess that strippers would break the law?
  • Cashman1234
    7 years ago
    Its definitely rough to have to do without food when you need pussy.
  • Corvus
    7 years ago
    The prosecutor is named Heck! Is that our Heck?
  • Papi_Chulo
    7 years ago
    Messing up the game for us true SCers w/ that nonsense by bringing unnecessary attention to all strip-clubs
  • samsung1
    7 years ago
    Southern ohio has always been against strip clubs. Cincinnati no longer even has a strip club. No surprise dayton is getting busted just north of cincy.
  • theDirkDiggler
    7 years ago
    Do they even have physical food stamps anymore? The ones that look like funny money in certain denominations? I though all they had were the link cards. Is there even an easy way to check how much "money" is on them? Imagine a dancer giving extras for a card and finding out there's nothing on it...
  • warhawks
    7 years ago
    In Michigan, the “food stamps” are actually called “bridge cards.” Like mentioned above, they are like atm cards.

I used to go to party stores in the Detroit area where people who got the cards would wait for you to go get whatever it was you were buying in the store, and they would offer to buy it for you on their bridge card if you gave them the cash (at a discounted rate) you were going to use to buy the goods. Thereby they turned the “funds or stamps” on the card into cash which they could then use to buy whatever it was they wanted (most likely drugs, cigarettes and booze).
  • wildbourbon
    7 years ago
    Hell, the couple in front of me at Safeway today were buying flowers and birthday cards with and EBT card, why not lap dances? They did their best to hide the EBT card, but when it was declined and the cashier had to do a manual entry, their gig was up.

I LOL'd while they were waiting for the transaction to approve, he grabbed my basked of bourbon and said, "you like the good stuff, huh?".
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion