tuscl

Generational differences among strippers?

BurlingtonHoFactory
New Jersey, near the Shore
By most definitions, the first Generation-Z strippers will hit the clubs no later than 2020, and possibly sooner. I wonder what they will be like. (I mean, aside from the obvious: very young at first.) Most strippers are currently members of the Millennial Generation, aka Generation-Y. Researchers can't seem to agree on precise beginning and ending dates, but the consensus says that the Millennial generation began at some point between 1979 and 1984, and ended at some point between 1999 and 2001. For those who've been clubbing for decades, do you notice a difference in attitudes between strippers from different generations? Baby Boomers, Gen-X, Millennials, etc. I'm either a very young Gen-Xer or a very old Millennial. Either way, I haven't been clubbing long enough to notice real changes. There were still some younger Boomers working at the clubs when I first started, but I can barely remember them now. Do you think the next generation will have a different attitude toward extras, fraternizing OTC, etc? Social media and wearable technology will be second nature for them. They will all have been born long after the AIDs crisis began. They will have never seen a time when the United States wasn't at war. Most will have grown up against the backdrop of the Financial Crisis, the Great Recession, and so on. Do you think this will make them more eager to earn, just like the Great Depression once allegedly made an earlier generation more frugal? Millennials are supposed to be more entrepreneurial and sex-positive than earlier generations. Maybe this trend will continue into Gen-Z, and that will mean more and more girls will choose sex work in the next generation. Any thoughts or predictions?

45 comments

• Bj99
    7 years ago
    the teens I know stigmatize stripping a lot less, and actually see it as a good gig "if it makes you happy, and works for you." They also hate traditional beauty ideals, or altering who they are for the sake of acceptance, or popularity (it's seen as a personal weakness), but that doesn't mean they don't want to look good, and be liked.

I think we will see more strippers w hairy arm pits, and trannies, but also a lot more girls who do it bc they like it, and have a good attitude, and don't have the usual excuses and desperation. So maybe more of the smart sexy girls who have the inkling will opt for it, even if they don't "have" to.
  • mark94
    7 years ago
    It all comes down to the individual. I'm not a big believer in labels, whether it's millenials, or latinas, or whatever. In the club where I have the most experience, there is a wide range of behaviors and attitudes among dancers with little correlation to age.
  • flagooner
    7 years ago
    The BurlingtonHoFactory generation apparently enjoys to completely ignore using paragraphs.
  • crazyjoe
    7 years ago
    What about the millennials that say millennials are pieces of shit and they don't even know they are millennials.
  • Bj99
    7 years ago
    Hey now, he didn't use any douchy air quotes. One thing at a time. We don't want him getting OT, least we forget the Hillary thread.
  • shadowcat
    7 years ago
    Strippers from my generation are thankfully retired. :)
  • Jascoi
    7 years ago
    omg... yes.
  • mark94
    7 years ago
    How about libertarian strippers ?
  • flagooner
    7 years ago
    Nooooo!!!!
  • Lurker_X
    7 years ago
    Well this thread went downhill quickly.

What we'll be seeing soon is a transition away from boomer customers to Gen-X customers. Maybe that's another thing crimping the number of clubs. The population base of middle aged men willing to pay for play becomes lower and that supports fewer establishments.

When I talk with mid 20s strippers about how they got into it, I am surprised a little at how easily they shrugged aside doubts and plunged in. I remember in college in the late 1980s how it seemed such a taboo thing for one of my buddy's girlfriends to be invited by another girl to consider working at *gasp* Hooters!
  • BurlingtonHoFactory
    7 years ago
    @mark94, I've never met any of those LOL
  • BurlingtonHoFactory
    7 years ago
    @Lurker_X, yes, I recently had a conversation about this with a dancer. She's convinced that the business is going downhill and will one day disappear. Her reasoning is good: competition from the internet, camgirls, BP, etc. But I was skeptical. Younger people spend more time online than older folks, obviously. And yet when we looked around, there were only younger guys seated around the bar. So what's keeping the older guys away from the clubs? Of course, it was just an observation from one day at one bar. The numbers may tell a different tale.
  • BurlingtonHoFactory
    7 years ago
    @crazyjoe, I've met people who insist that Gen-Y and Millennial mean different things, and refuse to call themselves Millennials because the word has developed a bad connotation. It's silly, IMO
  • Lurker_X
    7 years ago
    I kinda do feel like the stereotypes about Millennials do apply fairly well. At least the college educated urbanites I encounter at the office. But then I still encounter chain smoking, rednecky, high school dropout types at the small town strip clubs. It's kind of a strange feeling at times, to transition from one world to the other in the same day.
  • BurlingtonHoFactory
    7 years ago
    @Bj99, for the record, I wasn't the one who took the Hilary thread off-topic. @Dominic77 and @sharkhunter did it first. Then you and @ twentyfive started talking about money in politics. I was just responding. And now the Hillary thread is just an all-purpose politics thread. But it was off topic to begin with, seeing as how this is supposed to be a board about strippers, whores, clubs, etc.
  • ppwh
    7 years ago
    > So what's keeping the older guys away from the clubs?

The price of cat food has been going up, at least for the good kind like Nature's Variety Instinct, which cuts into fun money.
  • Bj99
    7 years ago
    oh crap! It's happening again!
  • mark94
    7 years ago
    I found my safe space in the Hillary thread. Beyond that thread, it's all strippers for me. Promise.
  • Bj99
    7 years ago
    It is totally your safe place. Please keep all extremely off topic political ramblings in the Hillary thread. ;)
  • RandomMember
    7 years ago
    Never mind strippers, good-looking college-educated millennials are going online to meet older guys for money in droves, and there's apparently little stigma involved in doing so. There's never been a better time to be alive if you're male and have some disposable income.

• RandomMember
    7 years ago
    Year @Mark93, you nut case. Stop your insane political ramblings.
  • RandomMember
    7 years ago
    *yeah
  • Jascoi
    7 years ago
    i like the idea of the youngest new strippers having a better general attitude...;)
  • twentyfive
    7 years ago
    My sweet spot is women between 28 and 35 they are more often my type than any other age group
  • mark94
    7 years ago
    RandomMember. Just exactly when are you going to post your first review? Troll much ? Speaking of off topic.
  • Dougster
    7 years ago
    The last stripper generation before sex robots take over?
  • Cashman1234
    7 years ago
    I'm wondering how strip clubs will be categorized in a few years with the current set of descriptors for sexual identities. Will there be clubs catering to each of the LGBTQ... orientations? Just finding a club with female dancers and male customers could be a challenge!
  • Call.Me.Ishmael
    7 years ago
    "The last stripper generation before sex robots take over?"

BBC/AMC has a drama series called "Humans" that's set in the near future where AI-driven anthropomorphic robots are prevalent as a servant/slave class. It deals with that specific topic as well as many others (i.e. automation in the workplace, etc.).

It's actually pretty good. And the "lead android" is a smoking hot Asian woman.
  • BurlingtonHoFactory
    7 years ago
    Yeah. You guys know if you had a sex robot at home that looks, feels and acts like your CF you would never leave the house. Bonus points if the robot smells and tastes like your CF, too, I suppose. It will probably take 50 years or more before we get there, so maybe that's what I have to look forward to during my senior years. I'd take that over a Social Security check any day.
  • wildbourbon
    7 years ago
    I'm also right on the bubble between Gen X and Millenials. I get along well with Millenials who are within 10 years of my age but find I don't have much in common with those 11-20 years younger than I am.

I think the younger Millenials and the following generation will continue to learn how to profit from their bodies more so than previous generations. If you spend any time on Instagram or Snapchat you will notice that many girls have a "free" Instagram or Snapchat account and use those to sell subscriptions to their "premium" pages where they show more. These services allow women to hide their lives from family and friends (as opposed to Facebook) and make money from men.

How will this affect strip clubs? I think clubs will always be around because men want to look and to touch and women who aren't opposed to letting strangers touch them will be there for the money. Then again, a lot of girls selling social media subscriptions and begging for gifts from Amazon are able to bank loot without doing a whole lot and if that model works, more girls are going to gravitate to it.
  • BurlingtonHoFactory
    7 years ago
    @wildbourbon, I think they call us "x-ennials," or something like that, and there was an article a few years ago that referred to us as The Oregon Trail Generation:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oregon_T…

I was born in late 1981, so by most definitions I'm a Millennial, but I definitely *feel* more like a Gen-Xer. (This, in and of itself, may actually be the best proof that I'm really a Millennial, after all: only a true Millennial would believe that his *feelings* matter more than objective reality LOL.)

I also get along best with dancers who are no more than 10 years younger than I am (although I'm not sure if that's a generational thing.) And I completely agree with your assessment of the industry and its future prospects.
  • ppwh
    7 years ago
    @BurlingtonHoFactory,

Enough of the definitions in the Wikipedia article include 1981 that I think you've got a pretty strong claim on Gen X -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generation…
  • flagooner
    7 years ago
    @BHF
    "I think they call us "x-ennials," or something like that, "

No, we call you jackasses.
  • Dougster
    7 years ago
    @Ishmael: I watched the first season of Humans. I agree, pretty good. Sometime when I get a free Saturday will watch the second season.
  • Lone_Wolf
    7 years ago
    @ RandomMember - "There's never been a better time to be alive if you're male and have some disposable income"

Amen brother. Shit is fucking surreal.
  • BurlingtonHoFactory
    7 years ago
    @flagooner, thanks for the tip. It's kind of a moot point to refer to someone like you as a loser. After all, that's what we call each other here anyway. But I think you've really earned the description: someone who has over 3,500 comments posted to a board that is dedicated to paying for activities that are almost sex but not quite. So I'll just say that the difference between you and me is that I do actually still get laid *for free* on occasion, and that's because I'm a millennial and therefore I'm not old yet. But I assume you are. So why don't you just go and fuck your dead mother? Enjoy yourself.
  • flagooner
    7 years ago
    ^ I'd say a big difference is that you are "not old yet" but still spend significant time posting to the same discussion board.

I'm sure that impresses the girls you fantasize about having sex for free with. Or does your inane ramblings about libertarianism and the bolshevik revolution do the trick?

Free advice: Just be who you are instead of trying to impress a bunch of anonymous perverts. On second thought, that probably wouldn't be very successful in your case.
  • mark94
    7 years ago
    Humans is one of my favorite shows. It's very well done and raises interesting questions about the nature of consciousness. Plus, Gemma Chan is hot. Too bad she doesn't have bright blue eyes in real life.

There's a huge cliff hanger at the end of season 2. I'm looking forward to season 3.
  • Bj99
    7 years ago
    @ cashman, that's a really good point. I can imagine strip clubs being LGBT friendly and a lot more females attending. That generation is also very very social. Even on their phones and gaming, they are always interacting. I can imagine them increasing the club vibe a lot. Not sure how great that generation will be for extras.

The teens in my life are fine w my job and ask if I like it, and about safety stuff, but they both think breastaunts are pathetic somehow. Maybe it's the facade they don't like.
  • Cashman1234
    7 years ago
    @Bj99 I think those are excellent points. I'm curious as to how clubs will morph and adapt to the interests of the new generation. They are much more social - and they appear to have much less concern over sexual boundaries.

Extras demand may change dramatically too.

As long as there are still baby boomers out there - I think there will still be old school type clubs. But there will be changes made as some clubs start to change.
  • Dominic77
    7 years ago
    a couple things I've noticed about Gen Zers, is they tend to think more long term (esp. career-wise, advancement opportunities) and they tend to accept & embrace failures as learning opportunities / teachable moments. Aka they act like the smaller percentage better Gen Yers, for the most part. Just based on the interns I've dealt with.
  • Lurker_X
    7 years ago
    Maybe Gen_z will have a sense from the 2007-2011 Era that the economy can unravel quickly and it is ultimately manipulate anyway. Perhaps it will leave them with a sense of perseverance, a bit like Gen-X who saw their parents and neighbors struggle through the awful 1980-1982 recession, and graduated during the early 1990s recession.
  • Book Guy
    7 years ago
    Sounds like men with some disposable money are getting more and more opportunity to buy sexual services from attractive young women. That's got to be good, right? But it also sounds like men themselves are becoming disposable, in favor of merely their money. And yet men aren't necessarily making more money as a portion of the overall earned incomes of our planet than we were in the past. In fact, our share is dwindling. So, sex services become less interpersonal, and more money-oriented, we make less money and are interpersonally less valued ... are males just on the decline generally? I am frankly not impressed with EITHER the Gen X OR the Millennial women, they're so damned good at ... well, at NOTHING. Why would their ineptitude be supplanting us supposedly formerly valued (we used to make a higher proportionate share of income; hence, we were more valued) men?
  • Mistah_Fetti_Morbuxxx
    7 years ago
    Excellent post Book Guy. I had the same thought but you worded it so perfectly and elegantly.
  • Clubber
    7 years ago
    Have been out of the loop for some time, but I always preferred the upper age of dancers during my prime clubbing years, my ATF excluded.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion