tuscl

OT: Tesla_0-60_2.28 seconds

TheeOSU
FUCK IT!
This is freaking unbelievable to me. Any car especially an electric car accelerating this fast, amazing!

http://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/reviews/2…

11 comments

• Papi_Chulo
    8 years ago
    I always heard electric cars accelerated faster than gas cars - I assume b/c much less moving parts and thus much less wasted energy
  • twentyfive
    8 years ago
    Test drive a Tesla last year acceleration was very similar to most high end v engine cars problem is lack of quick charging facilities. Otherwise nice car.
  • Dominic77
    8 years ago
    I am not surprised. Electric motors are torque monsters where max torque is available at RPM 1 and it doesn't tapper off whereas ICE (internal combustion engine) has a narrower rpm band (typically) where good usable power is delivered (hence transmissions to maximize application of usable power and torque).

Even though AWD has it place, (like on a daily driver) I like RWD for the reason
    Papi_Chulo mentions: --> "accelerated faster ... " (once already in motion) " ... b/c much less moving parts".

RWD is pretty visceral and savage at time. I love it.
  • Dominic77
    8 years ago
    clarification: max torque at rpm 1 is an exaggeration, but you get the point. It's not like an electric motor needs to be revved to a (somewhat) narrow(er) power band like ICE does.
  • RandomMember
    8 years ago
    Yeah, as was going to make the same comment as @Dominic -- electric cars can develop max torque at essentially zero RPM. Even more amazing that the car seats (I think) 7 passengers. And the Teslas are all going to be equipped for autonomous driving with cameras, array-processors, and sensors.

Of course handling is what makes a car fun to drive, not necessarily straight-line acceleration.
  • rockstar666
    8 years ago
    Rich kids crash Lamborghinis, Ferraris and American muscle all the time because they think they can drive, so they turn off the traction control. Handling 600+ HP isn't something for inexperienced drivers. Rich kids don't buy Teslas, and I'm pretty sure you can't turn off the traction control in them. I remember reading how they aren't good track cars due to computer overrides.

This is too bad because with the lowest center of gravity of any production car made today, they handle like a Lotus! But with a ton more torque at the low end. Maybe Tesla will put out another sports car eventually...one you can track?
  • rockstar666
    8 years ago
    Dominic is correct: electric motors have FULL torque off the line; yes even at 1 mph. Plus they have no gears; no shift lag, although modern sports cars have double clutches that eliminate most of that...but nothing can match an electric motor for low end torque.
  • ATACdawg
    8 years ago
    Actually, an electric motor can produce maximum torque at 0 rpm. That is why holding the car with the brake is so effective. In fact, you can actually achieve about 110 % torque at zero rpm before you start melting the motor. Here again, that is why they precool the motor - this allows more current to flow and provides some temperature margin.
  • Tiredtraveler
    8 years ago
    Yes electric cars go like hell for a few miles. Yes electric motors deliver instant power to all 4 wheels but why do you need to go from 0-60 in 2.8 seconds. When you get one that I can actually sit in (6' 3" - 240lbs.) go 500-1000 miles between refueling and have refueling to less than 10 minutes including bathroom break, call me because I might be interested but until then they are just a curiosity. Teslas are for people with more money than brains! and Hybrids are and will continue to be the dirtiest car ever designed and manufactured.
  • WetWilly
    8 years ago
    I have driven one of the faster Tesla Model S in what they call " ludicrous " mode, and the best I can say is that it felt like I was in a rocket ship. I went 0-60 in 2.8 seconds more than once.

Engineered better than any automobile I've ever seen or driven. It's in a class all is own.
  • TheeOSU
    8 years ago
    "but why do you need to go from 0-60 in 2.8 seconds."

It's not a matter of need, it's the exhilaration of being able to do it. Same as fucking a hot chick half your age, you don't need to do it but it's great when you do.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion