tuscl

OT: coup d'état in Turkey?

4got2wipe
In a brilliant place!
After Dallas and Nice and we may be in for more loss of life. The military may be attemp a takeover in Turkey

12 comments

• rl27
    8 years ago
    Who cares. It's Turkey, the last time they were relevant was before WW-I.
  • mikeya02
    8 years ago
    There goes the neighborhood
  • 4got2wipe
    8 years ago
    Perhaps you're just fucking with us, but I'm just feeling a bet shell-shocked by the deaths in the news. Aside from the tragic loss of life that will no doubt occur if there is a coup it could exacerbate problems that directly impact the US and our closest allies.

You do realize Turkey borders Syria, right? And many ISIS recruits enter Syria from Turkey. And many refugees move through Turkey.

Perhaps military rule will be better. Erdogan is an authoritarian has been pushing the country in a more Islamist direction and I suspect (though I'm uncertain) that the military generals may be more secular. But who knows what's going on. Time to hope for the best and expect the worst.
  • 4got2wipe
    8 years ago
    The above was for rl27, not mikeya02
  • Hugh_G_Rection
    8 years ago
    Lets not leave Vladamir Putin out of the picture.... I know Russia has had recent confrontations with Turkey over use of their air space on flights over Syria, Putin backing up what's left of the Assad regime.

Yeah, it could end up being a VERY HOT summer over there!
  • londonguy
    8 years ago
    ^^^ Yes, someone I know just go back, temperatures reached 122 degrees. But seriously though Turkey is a mess of a country, it's treatment of certain religions and minorities is a disgrace.
  • vincemichaels
    8 years ago
    The coup is in process. we'll see who gets power. Yes, Putin would love to destabilize Turkey, it's in Russia's interest.
  • motorhead
    8 years ago
    No problem. They'll probably fall asleep later
  • clubdude
    8 years ago
    Beat me to it 4got2wipe. I was going to "educate" rl27 also.
  • Dougster
    8 years ago
    Bring back the Byzantine Empire!
  • jester214
    8 years ago
    Someone has to say it...

CIA plot!
  • sharkhunter
    8 years ago
    The spin I read suggested the current president was removing freedom of speech etc and increasing his own power and that most of his support was mostly from a Muslim region.

I also read the military was more closely aligned to the US military.
    Reminded me of the Egyptain military overthrowing the Muslim brotherhood which Obama had been supporting. I heard Obama was allowing Muslims into the US from Syria but Christians were not. Seems like Obama might be in danger of getting overthrown as well one of these days. I predict by 2017, Obama will lose his King power to issue decrees that all peasants must abide by.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion