tuscl

Parking Lot

Itsmytime
I’ve had enough and I can’t take it any more
Parked the car (no valet) at the club today and started walking to the front door. Then I see a cop cruiser parked next to the front door, with the club manager standing outside. No sight of a cop. I hesitated but decided to go inside. There was no police presence in the club and the atmosphere seemed no different than usual. When I left about an hour later the cruiser was gone and no hint of trouble.

What did I just experience? I generally stay away from cops, so was it worth the risk of walking into a bust?

21 comments

• san_jose_guy
    8 years ago
    At our Sunnyvale Brass Rail, cops are in and out all the time, no big deal.

But then that place is no touching, and a local institution.

At the maximum mileage clubs, the most extreme ones with very little plausible deniability, I would be concerned. I would never be in an AMP when a cop is there.

If you tell us more about this place and the usual practices for that area it might help us understand better.

SJG
  • AnonymousJim
    8 years ago
    I'm with you on this one. When I see cops come in, I generally try to make my way out. Not so much because I think I have done or am doing anything wrong. Moreso if something does go down because they're trying to get someone who is doing something wrong.

Ranging from having to be a witness to something someone else did, to getting hit with a stray thrown bottle to getting shot, I don't want it to happen when I'm at the club because I don't want to have been identified as having been at the club. I prefer to stay Anonymous, Jim.
  • shadowcat
    8 years ago
    I've been through 2 raids. One at the Memphis Platinum Plus that was definitely a prostitution bust and the other at Follies that was nothing more than a dancer license check. In both cases the place was swarming with police. A show of force to prevent any violence.

A single cop car parked outside is probably nothing more than cops doing an investigation of a club employee or a friend of the manager.
  • mikeya02
    8 years ago
    Maybe the cop stopped for a piss break. One of his perks
  • mrrock
    8 years ago
    He stopped for a quick lapper!
  • vincemichaels
    8 years ago
    I never knew strip clubs served donuts and coffee.
  • s88
    8 years ago
    One SC I've been to always has a uniformed armed off duty detail cop just inside the front door. He doesn't seem to have any purpose except stand around since the pat down and ID check are done by regular black jacket bouncers. I check the badge, it was the correct PD for that city. Seeing the cop was so crazy, I googled it and was true that that SC hires real cops. The mayor of the city and the police commissioner say while the business maybe offensive, it is not illegal and they can't discriminate against which business want a detail cop. The cop is $60 per hour for detail work, city takes 25% of the $60 as their fee.

Internet rumor says the detail cop is protection money. I never found an official explanation for the detail cop.
  • san_jose_guy
    8 years ago
    Here SJPD is always checking out the Viet Coffee places, and oh man do the girls come on to them.

But, it seems to be legit. I think they are trying to use the places and the girls as listening posts, anytime their is a major unsolved crime.

They are hoping that someone will be bragging.

Usually they come in through the back door and stay in the kitchen so that the customers are alarmed.

The girls come on to them, well because they know that that works, and they don't want problems with the cops.

SJG
  • jackslash
    8 years ago
    Cops have to stop in to pick up their bribes.
  • twentyfive
    8 years ago
    To s88 Here in South Florida many of the clubs, especially the busy ones use police or sheriff deputies, for the same purpose its sort of a bribe paid to keep the hassles to a minimum. Another reason they use the official detail to provide security is that it keeps a lid on unnecessary 911 calls. Many businesses that are open at night, nightclubs, busy restaurants, sporting events, shows and movies also try to keep those 911 calls to a minimum also paying protection in the form of overtime details, as too many calls tend to get the business labeled a nuisance, that generally has a deleterious effect on many other things, from license renewals lease renewals to insurance rates among other things. The details generally keep things under control resulting in far less 911 calls which is beneficial to the strip clubs and other businesses that utilize them.
  • shailynn
    8 years ago
    One of my buddies is a cop and he works most Saturday nights at a sports bar. He goes into the station, gets dressed and drives his police car to the sports bar and parks it right out front. It's just like he's going to work only the sports at pays him instead of the police force/municipality.

I've seen something similar at a few clubs, mostly down south and they officers are usually at the door inspecting people entering the club.
  • AnonymousJim
    8 years ago
    I've seen uniformed security with a private firm badge before but never actual police protection. Interesting.
  • Dominic77
    8 years ago
    My club has the same sort of thing where a uniformed police officer hangs out in the lobby from 12 midnight until the club closes. It makes sense now. I always figured it was a ounce of prevention (or protection money) is worth a pound of cure.
  • jester214
    8 years ago
    Sounds to me like the police officer was on the property but maybe not actually inside? Issue with a patron or someone wandering around and the club called the cops, who proceeded to take a look?
  • goldmongerATL
    8 years ago
    Knew a cop that worked security at the infamous Gold Club in ATL during its heyday. Made something like $30/hr above board and quite a few hundred extra a week to not see anything. Several times a year he would go when not working and, as he put it, "hang out" with dancers in a back room. That place had quite a few "back rooms"
  • Dominic77
    8 years ago
    There is something 'odd' with those police. I wrote about that on here before. After dropping a bunch of money on a dancer and drinks, it was time to go home. She asked to confirm which way I was heading home so I told her. The dancer talked to the bouncer who in turn talked to the policeman. On the way home, I was waved through a sobriety checkpoint. Odd coincidence if it was one. Some money was exchanging hands someplace I didn't see, methinks.
  • lopaw
    8 years ago
    As I was leaving a COI club last Saturday afternoon there were 2 LA sheriff's squad cars parked right out front. I quickly walked to my car and immediately got online to warn my fellow LA area mongers to avoid the area until things quieted down.
  • Cashman1234
    8 years ago
    I try to avoid a club if there is a LE presence. It might be nothing - but all it takes is one drunk patron to get things going and then you could become a witness. Not what I want.

I've been in two clubs when cops came in - went straight to the managers office - and then left shortly after. I'm guessing it was one of the costs of doing business in the area.
  • motorhead
    8 years ago
    I'm not that paranoid. Maybe I need some of JS69's weed
  • motorhead
    8 years ago
    ....or maybe I just grew up on Adam 12. "To protect and serve"
  • gammanu95
    8 years ago
    Depends on whether the cruisers lights were on or not. If the lights are on, they responding to a call, probable cause, or other active item. If the lights are off, he could neighborhood policing, have a friend at the club, following up on something non-urgent, or whatever else. If the lights were off I wouldn't sweat it.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion