tuscl

Marvin Lewis should be fired!

Mate27
TUSCL’s #1 Soothsayer!
OMG, 5 straight years losing in the first round of the playoffs says something, but Marvin Lewis needs to be held accountable for the thuggish type of play his gangsta not only displayed last night, but all year. It starts with the head coach, and the organization needs to reign it in if they have any shot of success in the future.

Good teams have great management, which the Bengals opponents last night has. I would be embarrassed to be part of an organization led by someone who continued to let that behavior fester all year long. Watching NFL countdown today is showing many infractions by Burfict in previous week's games, and they even call for the leash to be shortened on Marvin Lewis. I think because he has made the playoffs is the only reason why they've kept him, but last night's thug like mentality displayed at such a crucial time will give management some ammunition to cut loose on some garbage.

11 comments

• busta_nut
    9 years ago
    Totally agree. The should have outright released Burfict and Jones immediately after the game. The today I would have fired every coach. Next would have been a press conference to the fans letting them know that kind of behavior and attitude will not be tolerated. We will win or lose with class, professionalism and sportsmanship. And if anyone else had a problem with it, I will be happy to release them also. I really think the fans would respect that kind of stance.

And meanwhile, Ray Rice still can not get a job..
  • IwillLapAdancer
    9 years ago
    All this maybe true, but the owner Mike Brown like to refer to himself as the "Redeemer". Taking in troubled players and giving them multiple chances to straighten their act up. Coach Marvin Lewis has had to direct an asylum full of characters since day one. I'd put some of the blame on the owner himself for setting the stage to begin with.

http://www.cincyjungle.com/2012/5/25/304…
  • shailynn
    9 years ago
    I am not a Bengals fan, but here's my take.

1. Marvin Lewis appears to be a class act, maybe a little bit too passive at times with his players.

2. Pacman and Burfict lost that game for Cinci, not Marvin Lewis. Could Marvin have handled the situations with Pacman and Burfict? Maybe, but probably not. I personally know Pacman (not well) and the best way to describe him on a good day is "fucking nuts."

3. Although McCarron did a decent job, if Dalton was healthy it's very probable this wouldn't even be an issue right now.

4. Considering all those factors, if it was my decision, I wouldn't fire Marvin, but that's just me.
  • san_jose_guy
    9 years ago
    This Marvin Lewis, do you think he'll make it to the Super Bowl? Is he a Christian?

My Lions would like him.

SJG
  • rattdog
    9 years ago
    marvin is not one of my fave coaches in he nfl. having said that however:
    -if you fire him who are you going to replace him with that will do better?
    -with the lack of a scouting department well then one would not have a choice but to take talented thugs like pac-man jones to be on the squad.
  • Mate27
    9 years ago
    Thugs? Who would want to coach them?

Marvin has decided he's comfortable with this atmosphere, and with his tenure speaking volumes I definitely place much of the blame on him for maintaining a long living reputation for this type of thuggish play. His passive response is still a choice when it comes to his players' style. Jerry Tarkanian, former UNLV coach dealt with the same thug like players, and it's always the same theme, short term thinking gets you nowhere in the long run. Bengals owner is only interested in selling tickets for his playoff team, and getting the revenue from the NFL. Marvin Lewis has decided to play along with this game. If anything he will likely be a scapegoat for this fiasco.
  • rh48hr
    9 years ago
    It's an organizational decision. The head coach is part of it but the owner and gm also play a role. You cannot blame the scouting department and say they don't have talent. The Bengals have one of the most talented rosters in the league. They went 12-4. You don't win like that without talent.

The organization starting with owner Paul Brown made the decision to bring in Jones and Burfict. Both Jones and Burfict were free agents. Both talented and both with off field issues. Burfict was undrafted because of his issues although he had first round talent.

Burfict had just intercepted the Steelers on the last possession. Those who say he shouldn't have been on the field don't know what they're taking about and don't understand the game. The organization decided to live and die with these players when they brought them in, so to turn their back on them on the last possession makes no sense. If you think they should have been taken out earlier when he was starting to lose it that's fine but then maybe they can't stop the Steelers with their backups.

I'm not a Bengals fan, as a matter of fact they are hated rivals. I can't stand Burfict, I think he's an idiot. But to blame Lewis solely for not pulling him or to think he didn't talk to him about playing with poise doesn't make sense imo. Everyone in the organization holds some responsibility for these two players.
  • Papi_Chulo
    9 years ago
    I don't think he should be fired – the Bengals were a laughing-stock b/f Starvin Marvin.

But I *do* think it starts at the top (head-coach) – the Bengals; particularly on defense; have been very very aggressive and physical for a few years now and playing that brand of football means sometimes the line is crossed.

The HC can def keep things in check and many HCs do-it; if it was a one-time thing then only the player can be blamed; but when it's a pattern it means it's more of an institutional thing; IMO.
  • motorhead
    9 years ago
    I doubt this would ever happen - but Tom Coughlin is known as a tough disciplinarian. He could go there for a year or two and clean it up.
  • DandyDan
    9 years ago
    It also would have been helpful if that one player hadn't fumbled toward the end.
  • shailynn
    9 years ago
    I think Tom will wind up somewhere. Even though he's old owning to rings opens a lot of doors.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion