tuscl

End of Era in Ft. Lauderdale?

Cheo_D
I'd better be where I can Look AND Touch
Oakland Park, FL is a smaller municipality on the North side of Fort Lauderdale and has been the location of the two corporate-sister strip clubs Solid Gold and Pure Platinum, which people tend to call the "Fort Lauderdale" strip clubs because let's face it, this is one of those "municipalities" that was incorporated to give developers a better land/tax deal and it's mostly surrounded on 3 sides by the parent city, existing as a satellite thereof.

The City of Fort Lauderdale, seat of Broward County, FL, has since the 80s been on a massive campaign to "clean up" the tourist-intensive zone between the beaches and US1 leading into and out of itself and to promote "improvement" redevelopment along US1 ( = go more upscale for more tax collections, natch). They cut down bar hours and drove out the drunk Spring Break kids and sought to do the same to the adult businesses.

Strip joints like Mike Peters' Dollhouse, immortalized by Mötley Crüe, were part of that wild past that Broward County wanted to forget. Oakland Park as a good satellite went along with big-sister-city and tightened its adult business regulations to the strangling point. In the end Solid Gold and Pure Platinum were the remnant of "Fort Lauderdale" strip club legacy (including part ownership by Peters), after in the early 00's the town made a settlement with the then-management of both SG and PP to "grandfather" them for a time period in the regional-standard full-nude full-bar mode.

The time in the deal ran out in November.

Their current lawyer claims that the then-managers could/should not have made that deal, but they did; also that they need still more time to change the businesses to something compliant as the agreement had called for. Solid Gold, the more "upscale" (and costlier to run) sibling was the first to fall. Pure Platinum ostensibly remains open as the company fights City Hall, under the argument that their contracts and papers are in order for yet more time and third parties would be harmed if they were to shut down cold turkey, but the city still wants them to lose the full nude or go juicebar.

I visited the SG in the Fall as the court dates approached and the Shadow of Death already hung heavy. It may be that greater Fort Lauderdale will indeed become "clean" along US-1, the damage to business may be already done even if Platinum prevails legally.

Broward County's remaining major concentration of strip clubs would be in Pompano Beach, a larger incorporated city further north that has the advantage of including a huge chunk of land on the "bad" (West) side of I-95, far away from the tourists, where there's industrial/warehouse zones, trailer parks and working class/black neighborhoods. So it can simply zone its strip joints (Cheetah Pompano, Booby Trap North, Diamond Dolls, 4Play, Club Pink North, etc.) out of the way of the "nice" travelers.

The other area would be all the way almost to the Miami-Dade county line in Hallandale, most notably the "clean" club Scarlett's and the kinda clean-ish Cheetah Hallandale, which are also in areas unlikely to be gentrified any time soon and that anyway would be more associated with the North Dade scene than with Fort Lauderdale in people's minds.

So it looks like the Crüe's "Girls, Girls, Girls" will finally have its reference to Fort Lauderdale become doubly a historical artifact, gone in the name of gentrification and family friendly tourism, and there will be no more nude dancing and lap grinding convenient to tourists near US-1 until you get well down into Miami.

News reports:
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/br...0…
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/br...1…
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/br...1…

16 comments

• Papi_Chulo
    9 years ago
    Yeap – Ft Lauderdale is a shadow of its former past w.r.t. the party scene; seems city officials want to make it all clean family-fun and nothing else; hope it does not spread.
  • shailynn
    9 years ago
    Ft Lauderdale went to shit right after LMN moved.
  • TxVegas
    9 years ago
    Losing Solid Gold is a disappointment. I liked the vibe of the evening gowns to full nude stage shows.
  • mmdv26
    9 years ago
    Better change those lyrics to Boys, Boys, Boys...I think Lauderdale is a gay guy Mecca of sorts.
  • vincemichaels
    9 years ago
    Yes, mmdv26, correctamundo. When the gays have taken power as they have there. Look what happens. Ft. Lauderdale still has excellent beaches, it was a morning ritual to drive down the strip enjoying the water and the babes out working on their tans.
  • Cheo_D
    9 years ago
    @TxVegas, yep, full gown to full nude, good grinding mileage in the lapdances, and (expensive) above-and-beyond care in the CR.

And I must disagree with the last couple of posts, in my experience gay power does -not- particularly work against adult entertainment venues (but if it has taken over Ft. Lauderdale then that's a deliciously ironic twist on the civic conservatives who launched the original drive to "clean up and upgrade").
  • twentyfive
    9 years ago
    I don't know about gay power being the force behind the closing of all of the adult entertainment venues I personally believe it's all about money,and the large hotel corporations that have way more money than the Micheal Peters and other groups,that seek to profit from the Fort Lauderdale as a family friendly venue in the end the money wins. Unfortunately that is the American way.
  • skibum609
    9 years ago
    Fort Lauderdale strip clubbing has sucked since the late 70's. Pompano Beach was better 10-15 years ago. Really not worth going to any longer.
  • sflguy123
    9 years ago
    I don't like when stripclubs fail or are forced to close in Broward County as this is my stripclub scene but I haven't been to Pure Platinum in well over 10 years. If I reviewed it back then it wouldn't have been good.

And I've never been to this version of Solid Gold. I used to go to an old version on the east side of Fedl Hwy, south of Oakland Park. It was a topless pasties place.

So neither of these places will be missed by me. Neither got reviewed a lot either.
  • silkypants
    9 years ago
    Disappointed. Had a couple of great trips to Solid Gold.
  • laplurker
    9 years ago
    It sounds like the clubs could stay open as full nude if they stop serving alcohol. It has been that way for decades in California. Only topless and bikini joints can serve booze there. The alcohol-free nude clubs do manage to stay open getting by on cover charges, soda sales, and the club cut of dance fees.
  • Cheo_D
    9 years ago
    @laplurker sure, but underlying this is a deliberate campaign by the Fort Lauderdale business interests to make life harder for adult entertainment places and drive them into the swamps. And to be fair Peters just doesn't seem to want to change his schtick either, how come he just let a 10 year grandfathering run out w/o a visible move to adapt in one direction or the other.

In Florida the strip clubs seem to be mostly on a local-ordinance level, there is no state uniformity -- Tampa for instance operates under the California rule but next door Pasco County is nude-and-booze. In SE Fla the standard is full nude/full bar, with a medium to high chance of extras. On can see how it would be a risk to change that if you would be the only operation in three counties doing so.
  • laplurker
    9 years ago
    Cheo_D - I hear you. I despise these government idiots that try to cram their morals down our throats. Especially when most of them are boozing and whoring on the sly with bribe money. I'm from California where the nude no alcohol rule is statewide. You comment about no state level regulations explains a lot about the Florida strip club scene that I have been wondering about.
  • gammanu95
    9 years ago
    Does anyone know where the hotter and higher-mileage dancers from SG and PP went? Did they mostly begin working at another club together, or have they scattered to the four winds?
  • Papi_Chulo
    9 years ago
    ^ hard to say – a good bet would be Diamond Dolls in nearby Pompano or perhaps Cheetah Pompano; but there really aren't any gown types places like SG around for them to migrate to so hard to tell where they might've gone since there are a lot of SCs in SoFla.

I would say other similar scale clubs – e.g.:

+ Cheetah II (West Palm Beach)
    + Cheetah Pompano
    + Diamond Dolls Pompano
    + Scarlett's Hallandale
    + Cheetah Hallandale
    + Vixens Davie (this is a new club but it's big and nice but struggling to get dancers so maybe some migrated here)
  • gammanu95
    9 years ago
    Anybody got a bugle? I feel like we should play "Taps" here.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion