tuscl

OT: R.I.P. Fred Thompson (1942-2015)

minnow
Any place that interests me.
From Watergate counsel to actor to US Senator, and 2008 Republican Presidential candidate, quite a life/career. Like many other famous people who have passed, one often takes them for granted. I'm sure most Tusclers have some level of awareness of Fred Thompson. I recall at least 3 movies where he played a calm, level-headed but tough character- "Flight of the Intruder", "Hunt For Red October", and "Class Action." Although not a TN resident (his Senate seat), he was the one I favored for the Republican Presidential nomination in 2008. R.I.P., sir.

7 comments

• tumblingdice
    9 years ago
    Fred was a decent individual,but I'm glad he will no longer be making commercials.
  • Eagle1191
    9 years ago
    Was sad to see this news myself today, lots of great people have passed this year.
  • SuperDude
    9 years ago
    "Die Hard 2," "Barbarians at the Gate" and "In the Line of Fire." He was the next step, after Ronald Reagan, to merge elective office and show business celebrity. Now the two are one.
  • seaboardrr
    9 years ago
    Matlock, Days of Thunder, Law & Order.

Respected him as a politician which I don't think I've ever said about anyone else and loved him as an actor.
  • shailynn
    9 years ago
    "Stack em, pack em and rack em"

Fred once was eyeing a presidential bid, and drove his old beat up pick up around capital hill to try to look like the "anti-politician." Don't worry, Fred was still a typical politician and got millions upon millions in his pockets from lobbyists, can't blame him!
  • rockstar666
    9 years ago
    Loved him as an actor. As a politician...not so much. Me made Cruz seem like a flaming liberal. He was a conservative version of Reagan.
  • motorhead
    9 years ago
    Wasn't he pretty high in the polls in 2008 but had a poor performance in a debate? He fumbled some questions. That surprised me because with his acting background, I thought he'd be more comfortable in a debate.

I know Reagan was called "The Great Communicator" but I always thought he wasn't very good at speeches or press conferences. Again, being an actor, I thought he'd be more natural. Clinton and Hussein are far better orators.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion