tuscl

Dancer Lawsuits

Papi_Chulo
Miami, FL (or the nearest big-booty club)

Was just flipping thru the classified ads of a free alternative newspaper (Miami New Times) and saw an ad from a law office out of Houston, TX that seems to be specializing in this area and they provided the following website:

http://www.texasovertimeattorney.com/vid…

I have not looked at the website but I’ll probably skim it to see if there is any interesting info on there.

12 comments

• jackslash
    9 years ago
    The clubs keep losing these lawsuits. How stupid do you have to be to lose lawsuits to strippers?
  • Papi_Chulo
    9 years ago
    The strip club business is a shady business. Where else does one charge $8 for a bottle of water - WATER?
  • crazyjoe
    9 years ago
    Jack you are right.
  • crazyjoe
    9 years ago
    Jack you are right.
  • crazyjoe
    9 years ago
    Jack you are right.
  • crazyjoe
    9 years ago
    Jack you are right.
  • sinclair
    9 years ago
    It seems like these fair pay lawsuits are happening in alot of locales, and the dancers are more often than not winning, whether that be by winning the lawsuits or the club agreeing to a settlement. It seems to depend on the attitudes of the judges in the different areas. The way I see it, if you are an independent contractor, you are owed nothing. If you are not making enough money at a given club, go to another club. If you are not making enough money as a stripper, then go work a regular job like most Americans do.

Lawyers and strip clubs are both shady. I wouldn't be surprised if this lawyer is pursuing cases involving strippers in the hopes that he can get some access to some South Florida pussy and cocaine.
  • motorhead
    9 years ago
    I looked at the FAQ section of the attorney's website. Interesting that he never mentioned what "his cut" of take would be.

Jack in correct that the clubs are indeed mis-classifying dancers as independent contractors and the courts continue to rule as such. But I'm still not convinced that the vast majority of "working" dancers want the system changed.
  • rob0411
    9 years ago
    How will the system change? Easy solution for the law is to make dancers employees and put them on the old time piecework system. The dancers get minimum wage for the hours they are there, then a cut of the money they earn for dances. This would require a person to check them in and out of the dance room, keep track of their time, and collect the money (probably in advance) from the customer.

From a customer standpoint, this would suck. It happens now in a number of clubs in NC and is the reason I don't go to them. No more casual conversation in the back. Everything becomes very mechanical because there is a charge for every song you're with her.
  • shadowcat
    9 years ago
    Typically the attorneys take 33%. I agree that most dancers do not want to change the system. All of these law suites are brought by former employees are now flippin burgers and see it as a n easy way to pick up some cash.

If I was a club owner I would get together with an attorney and come up with a written agreement for all present and future dancers to sign agreeing to their status as independent contractors.
  • deogol
    9 years ago
    "If I was a club owner I would get together with an attorney and come up with a written agreement for all present and future dancers to sign agreeing to their status as independent contractors. "

Can't enforce an illegal agreement.
  • motorhead
    9 years ago
    There seems to be some debate of who started the independent contractor model. In his book "The Topless Prophet", Alan Markovitz (Flight Club, PHC Detroit) claims he did. Other sources cite MBOT in San Francisco.

Read Markovitz's account. When he first made the change the dancers got mad and quit but a week latet they were back and making more money than ever.

Like I keep saying. It's win-win for both even if it is illegal.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion