tuscl

Miami Gardens 2AMer

shadowcat
Atlanta suburb
MIAMI GARDENS, Fla. -
One person is dead following an altercation at a Miami Gardens strip club early Thursday morning.

The shooting happened about 4 a.m. in the area of Northwest 199th Street and Northwest 27th Avenue.

Police said people inside an Acura ZDX abandoned the car in the intersection and fled from the scene.

Meanwhile, a couple blocks away, the driver of a Saturn was seen being put into the back of a police car in handcuffs. Another man who was a passenger in that car was pronounced dead at the scene.

Police said it appeared the victim was trying to get out of the car when he was killed.

The driver of the Saturn refused to speak to reporters as he left the police department.

Police said the abandoned Acura, with license plate tag MSZDX, also had multiple bullet holes on the driver's side.

"We received information that there was an altercation between the deceased individual and some other party," said Detective Michael Wright. "We don't know if the altercation was physical or verbal, but there was an altercation inside an adult establishment in the area."

Anyone with information about this shooting is urged to call police.

17 comments

• motorhead
    10 years ago
    No surprise right? Isn't Miami Gardens one of the un-safest areas in the entire country.

When Notre Dame played in the national championship game a few years ago, there were warnings to visiting fans to be very careful in the area.
  • Papi_Chulo
    10 years ago
    They didn’t mention the club – the nearest club to that area is Mint Lounge which is on nw 187 st and nw 27 ave – Mint Lounge is a small black club that I visit from time to time.

I went ahead and Googled it and in fact it was at the Mint Lounge per the end of the video on the link below of a local newscast:

http://www.local10.com/news/breaking-new…
  • Papi_Chulo
    10 years ago
    BTW - Miami Gardens is where Treyvon Martin was from (although he was killed in Orlando while visiting his father).
  • Papi_Chulo
    10 years ago
    And yeah – Miami Gardens is a very high crime area and is in the news at least a couple of times a month.
  • Dolfan
    10 years ago
    It's a high crime area, but I'm not sure its "one of the worst in the entire country" - I can think of a few places in Miami and the rest of Florida that are substantially worse.

But, more importantly, did anyone else catch one of the other links on that page? The headline read: "Serial buttocks groping suspect arrested in Cooper City" http://www.local10.com/news/kenneth-lope… The article kinda sucks, but thats a funny ass headline.
  • IHearVoices
    10 years ago
    Miami Gardens isn't even the worst place in Miami. Shoot, there are places here in Tallahassee that are on par with Miami Gardens.
  • motorhead
    10 years ago
    * a quick Google search revealed Miami Gardens to be the 5th most dangerous suburb in the country
  • Papi_Chulo
    10 years ago
    Yeah – Miami Gardens looks middle/working class – places like Liberty City, Overtown; Allapatah; Opa Locka; seems worse and more hood.

IDK what the deal w/ Miami Gardens is – I get the feeling a lot of the violence in drug-related inter-gang stuff – I’ve heard the Gardens drugs gangs have a beef w/ the drug gangs from Little Haiti – but IDK if that is speculation or fact.
  • motorhead
    10 years ago
    Most dangerous cities in a America 2007. Granted, it may hsve improved since then

Here is the list:

1. New Orleans
    2. Camden, N.J.
    3. Detroit
    4. St. Louis, Mo.
    5. Oakland, Calif.
    6. Flint, Mich.
    7. Gary, Ind.
    8. Birmingham, Ala.
    9. Richmond, Calif.
    10. North Charleston, S.C.
    11. Cleveland
    12. Baltimore
    13. Miami Gardens
    14. Memphis, Tenn.
    15. Youngstown, Ohio
    16. Atlanta
    17. Compton, Calif.
    18. Orlando
    19. Little Rock, Ark.
    20. Minneapolis
  • Dolfan
    10 years ago
    I'm too lazy to do any real research, but I damn sure feel safer in Miami Gardens than I do in Overtown, it's not even fucking close. I'm sure I could come up with 4 others in the Miami area pretty quick too. The list just gets longer if I include Homestead to Palm Beach, moreso when I think about the rest of the state or country.

Not that I really care, I just don't want anyone skipping out on a visit to any of the fine Gentlemen's Clubs in the area for fear of violence...
  • Clackport
    10 years ago
    I hope Miami Gardens isn't too dangerous. I'm applying to a law school in Miami Gardens, St. Thomas University School of Law. Also, Tootsies is a club I want to visit, and I believe that's in Miami Gardens.
  • Papi_Chulo
    10 years ago
    St Thomas is in a black area sorta in the hood but there are def worse places in MIA.

Tootsies is also sorta in the hood but it's off a major commercial street & Tootsies is kinda large and sorta self-contained like a resort in a not so good area (you're ok while there but not a good idea to go wandering around in the surrounding area).
  • IHearVoices
    10 years ago
    Yup: Overtown, Liberty City, Opa Locka, 79th Street (between NE 4th and NW 17th)...those are the places I'd watch my back. Some parts of Little Havana too, since my Spanish isn't what it used to be. Wouldn't even think twice about Miami Gardens or Carol City.
  • jackslash
    10 years ago
    Tootsie's is in Miami Gardens, and when I was there for the TUSCL meet it did not look bad at all. Nicely kept houses, businesses, normal people. Not scary. Of course, I live near Detroit.
  • shadowcat
    10 years ago
    I was surprised to see Orlando on that list. have Mickey and Goofy been getting into it?
  • PhantomGeek
    10 years ago
    I'm surprised to see Minneapolis on that list.
  • Cheo_D
    10 years ago
    For reference: The Mint is around the center of Miami Gardens on a side street off one of the main avenues into Sun Life Stadium. Tootsie's is almost as far as one can be from there and still be within town limits, in fact the parking lot fence IS at the town line, in a commercial/industrial zone that beyond the line into unincorporated MIA-Dade County territory includes The Office and KOD. ranukam's St. Thomas campus is closer to the border with Opa-Locka.
    That part of the county is never goint to be in the Condé Nast travel guide to SoFla. Then again that's why you can find strip clubs there.

BTW, Miami Gardens, for those not paying attention, had their police chief busted for mongering last week at the next county over (warning, autoplay vid/audio): http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/fl-miam…

You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion