tuscl

Opening a can of worms @ Casa Diablo Portland ?

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national…

What are the experts' thoughts on how this is going to affect the strip club scene in PDX?

I think its going to be very interesting ;)

5 comments

• trixxi
    10 years ago
    It would be great if the girls got what they deserved but its unlikely.

"Casa Diablo manager Johnny Zukle told Willamette Week he doesn’t consider this a meaty case, because the strippers work as independent contractors and aren’t entitled to minimum wage or protection from harassment.

He called the case “frivolous and ridiculous” and said the alleged harassment is “nonexistent.” "

The key here being that the strippers "are'nt entitled to minimum wage or protection from harassment."

This is the truth about dancers and even though dancers may feel used and put up with being taken advantage of, they allowed themselves to become dancers and they must go through the actions of the club in their own dancer' shoes. Dancers cannot be given the same equal right or fair treatment that any other law abiding job provides. Dancers through themselves headfirst into sexual harassment nightly and they chose to do this for the money making potential. I wish there was a way that these girls were totally professional, kept written record of every act of unfairness, and could present this in court, however, the nature of the business is likely to throw these girl's accusations right out the window.

Yes, dancers do deserve to be treated fairly, but that is such an oxymoron that its an impossible conundrum to expect that. In a day where dancers are basically light prostitutes in the club, how can you expect the government to approve of this illegal behavior???
  • Tiredtraveler
    10 years ago
    The guy is an idiot. With all the vampric lawyers out there advertising on TV it would be cheaper to just pay the girls and walk away but now his dumb ass is in the national news and there is no way he will win this lawsuit unless he shuts the f... up!
  • Tiredtraveler
    10 years ago
    The average club owner is a greedy douchebag not realizing that if he just gave the girls a little fairness and consistency he would have no trouble and get rich. Write fair rules down and follow them and MAKE your staff follow them. I was in a club where a dancer told me if she got customer(s) to buy her 8 drinks over the course of her shift her stage fee was waved and only had to pay the rooms fee for each private dance. The dancer's drinks were the same price as my drinks and virtually non-alcoholic. That rule served two purposes 1] It got the girls to sit and talk to patrons to get them to buy drinks for them, 2] Most patrons ordered more drinks for themselves thereby increasing the number of drinks sold.
    I don't see the point of fines they are asking for legal action since you can only dock or fine an employee. If a girl is consistently late you simply replace her. There is no recourse against cancelling her contract if she does not show up to fulfill it.
  • trixxi
    10 years ago
    The girls state a certain amount is deserved for back wages but I wonder did these girls even file taxes while they were working at Casa? And if they did or did not, will they file taxes on the settlement earnings? I just ask because strippers are notorious for not accounting for such things.
  • alabegonz
    10 years ago
    Starz fell into a predicament that they were able to wiggle out of.

Also remember Dolphin got into trouble as well, it's all good now.

I remember the guy giving me a tour of Black Cauldron when I first got in. Didn't know he was the guy running the place. He's a cool dude and really enjoyed my visit that night.

Casa seems to do better than Cauldron, though.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion