tuscl

OT: Dan Marino and Shannon Sharpe out on ‘The NFL Today' on CBS, Tony Gonzalez

Papi_Chulo
Miami, FL (or the nearest big-booty club)

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/footba…

In a one-for-two move, CBS will bring in recently retired Tony Gonzalez and dump Dan Marino and Shannon Sharpe from its “The NFL Today” pregame show.
CBS Sports boss Sean McManus said Gonzalez will bring “a fresh insightful perspective” to the program. Obviously, he did not think either Marino or Sharpe could deliver in a similar fashion.

Still, he saluted the two voices he fired.

“While we welcome Tony, we want to acknowledge Dan Marino and Shannon Sharpe who have contributed greatly to the success of the NFL Today for more than a decade,” McManus said in a statement. “Dan and Shannon are true Hall of Famers on the field and in front of the camera.”

Then why were they given the boot?

Rumors of Marino's potential demise began circulating following the 2012 season and continued through last season. This past season similar speculation swirled around Sharpe from sources contending CBS wanted to change the chemistry on the show.

It is likely CBS will add another former player to the cast of “The NFL Today.”

Industry sources say the leading candidate is Bart Scott, who spent the season as an analyst on CBS Sports Network's “That Other Pregame Show.”

Gonzalez will join host James Brown and analysts Boomer Esiason and Bill Cowher on The NFL Today. The now former All-Pro tight end for Kansas City and Atlanta and will also join the cast of Showtime's “Inside the NFL.”

6 comments

• GoVikings
    11 years ago
    Shannon Sharpe was just an OK analyst. I can see why they would want to replace him. Dan the Man, however, was good.

I think Gonzalez will do a great job. I just picture him as someone who will fit naturally into that position.
  • tumblingdice
    11 years ago
    Marino is a dolt and I can't understand Sharpe.Tony earned it,so let it be.
  • ime
    11 years ago
    Marino sucked
    Sharpe was aloud mouth, but occasionally made a good point (few and far between).

Bring back Sterling Sharpe
  • steve229
    11 years ago
    "Marino is a dolt"

Network suits seem to think that a great QB will make a good analyst because of their "mastery of the game", but they often turn out to be clueless on the air (cf Marino, Steve Young, et al). I've listened to a lot of player interviews on Sirius NFL Radio and IMO the most intelligent, well-spoken and insightful players by position are offensive lineman, but I guess they are not considered telegenic enough.

All that said, if Payton Manning becomes an analyst, he will be one of the greatest ever.
  • tumblingdice
    11 years ago
    Steve Young is another moron.Mark Shlereth on Mike and Mike puts you in the trenches,you feel what he's been through.I would also pay good money to hear Lawrence Taylor talk.
  • minnow
    11 years ago
    FYI, the top 3 positions that scored highest on "Wonderlic IQ" test are- Offensive Tackle, Center, and Quarterback, in order. Running backs scored the lowest.

Seems like there's a lot of hate for ex QB's who become commentators. While not really an "analyst", I always liked Don Meridith (ex Cowboys QB) on MNF. He was about the best sidekick around.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion