tuscl

Ideas for ending the American Reccession

Tuesday, January 14, 2014 6:43 AM
I have a couple thoughts on how Americans can end their big recession. 1. Stop giving monetary aid to non-democractic countries, ie Egypt 2.Raise tarrifs for crap coming from countries with shitty human rights. ie China 3.Lower the price of gas at least 20 cents on the litre. What do you guys think?

21 comments

• skibum609
    10 years ago
    1. The amount we give on a yearly basis would run our bloated Government for 2 hours. Interest on debt payments will take up 100% of all Federal Tax revenues in less than 30 years and is the single biggest disaster waiting to happen. 2. Targeting companies for tariffs is against the treaties we signed and if China stopped buying our debt we'd be in huge trouble. 3. More than 80% of the cost of gas is taxes and I won't hold my breath waiting for any Government to lower taxes, especially one led by Democrats.
  • crsm27
    10 years ago
    1. STOP SPENDING!!!! 2. STOP WITH THE FREE HAND OUTS!!! 3. CUT SPENDING ON PROGRAMS THAT ARE FAILING!! 4. HAVE EVERYONE PAY TAXES NOT JUST 40% OF THE CITIZENS! I could go on and on. But the biggest problem is that our government is spending money like they have an unlimited bank account. They keep coming up with programs to give money away to people. We have people sucking off the system and not putting anything back into it. I know this might offend some people but we need to stop extending the unemployment benefits. If you are out of work for more than 180 days your benefits should stop! People now say they can make more by being on unemployment than working. So they are sucking off the system and not putting back in. You can go out and find two part-time jobs to pay your bills. If you can't then you need to downsize in life and learn to live at a different income level. People do it daily....it is called LIFE!! That is what will make you work harder to get back to the old level you are accustomed too. sofaking....lowering gas prices won't do a damn thing to help out the recession. What needs to be done is investment into the private sector. Or give tax breaks to the private sector so they can go and create jobs and expand. One thing that is going to make this recession longer is the implementation of OBAMA CARE. Right now the private sector doesn't know how this bill will effect them. So they are not promoting growth of their industry because they don't know how bad they will get hammered. They are cutting peoples hours to 29 a week so they don't have to provide insurance for these workers. They are taking away health insurance benefits and giving their employees cash to go out and find their own insurance (which is cheaper for the company) because the new law is making the employer's insurance go way up. It is going to be a scary few years to see how this actual bill will all play out and the United States workers and citizens will be paying the price. Just wait to see that this bill won't be able to fund itself (like promised by the people who passed it) so they will need to suck more money out of the government that it doesn't have to keep it up and running. Which then will mean more taxes on the 40% that pay taxes.
  • crsm27
    10 years ago
    Toomuchcover.... you hit the nail right on the head with that one. But the elected officials (both parties) just keep on a spending and spending and spending.
  • rockstar666
    10 years ago
    The % of our GNP that pays the interest on out debt is the lowest since the early 1970's, which means the US has unlimited credit (as long as Congress doesn't decide to stop paying the bills). Recessions always end with government spending and this one is no exception. As the recovery slowly continues, more tax dollars help pay down the debt itself. Cutting spending always sounds nice but unless you want to cut defense spending, SS and Medicare drastically, "cutting spending" is just meaningless rhetoric. The recession has been over for about 5 years; it's been a slower than desired recovery.
  • crazyjoe
    10 years ago
    Get rid of the federal reserve
  • crazyjoe
    10 years ago
    Or put someone in charge of it that has financial education
  • deogol
    10 years ago
    I believe the numbers are cooked. Unemployment, tax payers, amount in the work force, illegal immigrants, global trading... they are all the wrong numbers.
  • rockstar666
    10 years ago
    People complain the government is incompetent and can't get anything done, but then claim they can cook the books and fool everyone??? WTF??? There are hundreds/thousands of people from both parties that assemble these reports and it would take a vast conspiracy to fudge them. It would be the news scoop of the century if you could prove the numbers are cooked, and all it would take is ONE disgruntled employee to blow the whistle. The numbers have a margin of error of course, but it's not deliberate. The methodology is consistent so even if the numbers are off, they have value in comparing them to themselves over time.
  • Tiredtraveler
    10 years ago
    A flat tax so everyone pays the same rate. If everyone get a decent size personal deduction for dependents say $10000 for each child and adult. At 20% flat rate a family of 4 making $40,000 to pay no taxes after filing. A family making $100000 pays $12000 someone making $1000000 would pay $196000. The Warren Buffets of the world would loose their special status and since Obama's buddy Warren pulls down around $500,000,000 per year he would pay $99,998,000 (not married and grown kids)instead of the $5 or 6,000,000 he pays now due to special status. Please also note that an IRS lawsuit against him for tax evasion went away and was settled for pennies on the dollar after his public support of Obama and his policies. The special policies of the ultra wealthy like John Kerry, Nancy Pelosi, Dick Lugar, Warren Buffet, The Kennedys to name a few that all get special status and tax breaks through the burden one to the middle and upper middle income people (those making from $100,000 to $2,000,000) who are the people creating jobs. Currently If you make above $200,000 your tax rate is now 39.4%. But if you are Warren Buffet with friends in high places you pay only 11% or 12%. If you are General Electric with your CEO on "the jobs board" you pay no corporate income tax whereas the rest of businesses that are not multinational with special privileges pay upwards of 40%.
  • joker44
    10 years ago
    Oy! Next a post on the best way to resolve the Syrian crisis. Best stick with topics about women, SCs, sports, and music, boys.
  • crsm27
    10 years ago
    Rockstarr... There is more ways to cut spending other than the places you mentioned. There are government grants going out to useless things. Yes those moneys are only in the millions but yet that is a start. Also with some social security expenses.....cut the unemployment benefits or cut them back to get people back to the work force! Again a way to save some money. How about cutting funding to "green jobs".... all that money was just going into the pockets of friends to this administrations pocket!!! Also look at cutting subsidies towards some businesses or industry (Agriculture). I have talked with farmers who have stated if you can't cheat the government out of $50,000 a year you aren't a good farmer. With that being said it could be cooking your books so they don't pay in taxes or showing a loss. Or getting the money out of the federal crop insurance program. But I know what you are saying.....the only way to make an immediate impact is to make cuts in those three places you mentioned. but yet they can make cuts in other area's which will slowly over time make up some good ground. But sad thing is that if they cut those programs they would spend it elsewhere.
  • crsm27
    10 years ago
    Tired... you are also 100% correct. If you contribute to the campaign of any elected official you some how get your income taxes cut...funny how that works. Also many people in government are making millions and getting away with out paying much in taxes.
  • knight_errant
    10 years ago
    Skibum nailed it- done in one.
  • jester214
    10 years ago
    1. Across the board spending cuts and I mean everything. 2. 20 page tax code. Absolutely nothing else matters until we do #1
  • bang69
    10 years ago
    I agree with every one on this issue
  • bang69
    10 years ago
    I agree with every one on this issue
  • sharkhunter
    10 years ago
    This country has been bankrupt for years in my opinion but I am somehow ok with the funny accounting gimmicks to keep things running. After the fed was created the value of our dollar in 1913 or 1914 dollars is only worth less than 4 cents. It is getting worse. Eventually the elite will probably decide to crash everything and change the rules and use a one world global currency screwing all but the elite who converted their savings into whatever currency is tradeable. Who knows what they have planned? As far as I know they have some crazy plan that involves me. Maybe we are all slaves to the system. Let's just enjoy what we can. Spend those dollars in strip clubs while they are still tradeable for something worthwhile. If the Fed can buy a few trillion of our debt, what does it matter if China holds 1 trillion of our debt? The Fed could buy them out almost entirely this year alone after they started tapering. If you thought Enron was bad, our elected officials are really good. Of course is anything really illegal if you make the laws and do away with other peoples rights whenever you please? With this attitude of elected officials, it's no wonder other countries despise our leaders. I can only think of one poster on here who completely agrees with doing away with people's rights.
  • jabthehut
    10 years ago
    To answer the original post, I agree with 1 & 2 but think that artificially lowering the cost of gas will not help in the long run. I know that as the price of gas has gone up I reduce my travel or use my motorcycle (42mpg vs 30 mpg) more.
  • ilbbaicnl
    10 years ago
    Raise the minimum wage, and put tarrifs on countries with low/no minimum wage with big trade surpluses with us.
  • crsm27
    10 years ago
    Here is the deal with raising min wage....it will do nothing but raise inflation on goods and services. It is a double edge sword. because if people can afford to spend more....prices go up! If you don't believe me look at the 90's-2000 with the housing market. People got more money....either throw wage increases, getting loans (which they couldn't afford), investments, etc. What did that do to the housing market and prices.... Skyrocketed!!! Then look at the mess that created. Same thing will happen with the increase in min wage. But it won't be houses....it will be milk, clothing, materials, etc. That will help boost the economy but will also put stress on businesses. Look at the expenses business have to face right now.... Normal operating costs (materials, rents, equipment, facilities, property insurance, clerical work, taxes, utilities, maintaining equipment, etc) then add on the changing SS tax laws (going up), providing health insurance for employees mandate, increasing of costs of everything. So now if you add in the rise in min wage you will see people losing jobs or hours getting cut back. Which will put people in the exact same situation they are in now. A quick little example....again just an easy example to prove a point. You have a business 30 minimum wage employees and 30 other employees/owners at higher wages. So they fall into the category of paying for health insurance. Using $7.25 an hour and all min wage employees work 40 hours. $8,700 per week in wages and $450,000 in a year in just min wage employees. Now if you increase the min wage to $10.10 (as some liberals want it) That is $12,120 per week and $630,000 a year. You increase just wages alone by $180,000. How do you think that company will make up the increase in wages it is FORCED to do??? Raise the price of the goods it sells or the service it provides!! Then if business falls off they will cut jobs. Like I said DOUBLE EDGE SWORD.
  • sofaking87
    10 years ago
    There's a lot of good feed back here. I agree, not enough is being done, and there are too many people sponging the system, I read that amongst the OECD countries the US has one of the highest rates of people not in the work force. They also posses large numbers of "disabled" people with ailments that can't be verified.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion