tuscl

More off topic: Closing Ceremonies

motorhead
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
The Brits put on great opening ceremony, but this closing ceremony is fucked.

Ok, I get the hot chick, but what's with black guy in the orange prison suit.

19 comments

• sharkhunter
    12 years ago
    lol, I told someone when I saw the guys with the garbage cans and the girls with the brooms that it looks like they are ready to take out the garbage. It was some kind of musical performance.

I did enjoy the Who and Beatles music and the Spice girls. I've been reading the paper most of the rest of the time or my iPad.
  • Knights26
    12 years ago
    Allow me to try to explain: There is a group called "Stomp", who is famous for using everyday objects as instrument, i.e., trash cans, brooms, mops, whatever you can find. The guy in the prison suit wasn't in a prison suit. was a janitor cleaning during the 8-minute Brazilian presentation. He was showing the foreigner, security guard, what Brazil was like with the dancers, singing, and carnival performers. You might be talking about something else though but I'd be glad to try to explain. I love understanding different cultures.
  • Knights26
    12 years ago
    By the way, I LOVE motorhead lol!
  • mmdv26
    12 years ago
    I liked the part of "stomp" where the guys had the 55 gallon drums strapped to their feet and walked. Maybe that could be a new Olympic sport in the future.
  • steve229
    12 years ago

Spice up your life!
  • londonguy
    12 years ago
    Loved our closing ceremony, some would not have 'got' certain things thast were happening but overall it was a great show. Truly proud to be British and that we delivered a great Olympic games.

Good explanation by Knights26 !
  • steve229
    12 years ago
    @londonguy - now if you could only do something about your brethren to the north of us...

"Canada wears denim jackets, a.k.a. Canadian Tuxedos to Closing Ceremony for our amusement (PHOTO)
    Yes, it's the Canadian Tuxedo, khaki pants with a denim jacket, complete with patches that feature the Maple Leaf flag and a beaver."

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/olympics-f…

Canadians....sheesh!
  • Tiredtraveler
    12 years ago
    Our uniforms(USA) were so F...ing gay. Berets!!!!!!!!!!!!! We are not French. Where are the cowboy hats. Alot of atheletes trade hats and such I saw an interview with an athelete who said no one would trade because the uniform were so gay were not American culture. I know that Ralph Laureen donated them but what was the USOC thinking?????????????
  • motorhead
    12 years ago
    Londonguy

I was really impressed how well your athletes did and the medal count. They represented the country well. Now, will funding continue so they keep it up in 2016?

I would rather the Golds go to England than China
  • londonguy
    12 years ago
    Thanks Motorhead. Yeah, we did well, our best haul ever. We don't do too bad for a small nation do we? I am proud of them all, especially the cyclists and rowers.

How do people in the U.S. feel the USA did in the Olympics?

Funding will continue until 2016, our Prime Minister has given backing for 125 million GBP per year until the next games. I know that's diddly squat compared to what the USA team must get though, do they get any taxpaers money?
  • mmdv26
    12 years ago
    USA did fine. I really felt bad for McKayla Maroney who typically nailed her vault routine 19 out of 20 times in practice, but came up short in competition with no medal. The agony of defeat.

Not likely that much taxpayer money goes toward Olympic teams in USA. Most money is raised from charitable donations to U.S. Olympics.
  • inno123
    12 years ago
    I will agree that the closing ceremony had some snoozeworthy segments and unlike the opening, no particular arc or continuity to what they were doing.
  • 10inches
    12 years ago
    never heard of Jessie J , but damn she is hot !!!!
  • motorhead
    12 years ago
    10 inches.

Thought the same thing. Don't know her but she was hot.

At one point, I got bored so I missed the Spice Girls.
  • shadowcat
    12 years ago
    I'm sure you will like the ceremonies much better in Rio, ala Carnaval.
  • londonguy
    12 years ago
    @inno123 there was continuity but I'd agree you'd have to be British or very familiar with British life and history to see it.

Jessie J is a very popular singer and person in the U.K., a very down to earth girl from the home counties ('states' that surround London) with no airs and graces. Here are tow links for her songs, one she sung on the night (price tag) and another one called Domino

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMxX-QOV9…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJtB55Mao…

This link below is for a group called elbow that sung on the night as well, take a look at this, it features a guy on the street somewhere in the U.S. -he's a clever guy but I guess he confused people as to which way to the condos. Great song too !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NFV8dHrZ…
  • EarlTee
    12 years ago
    "How do people in the U.S. feel the USA did in the Olympics?"

Many of us don't give a shit.
  • carl95
    12 years ago
    They should've had Lemmy play.
  • sharkhunter
    12 years ago
    I enjoyed watching beach volleyball. I expect it to better in Rio. It was so cool one day they were wearing coverups and they said the sand temperature was 46 degrees F. The US beat China in metal counts. I was glad to see that. Then I heard the British were upset back in 1996 when they only won one gold metal and started some kind of lottery system to get more funds for the effort. I don't know the details but whatever the UK is doing it must work.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion