tuscl

Man sues strip club over $50,000 credit card bill

shadowcat
Atlanta suburb
TAMPA --
A man enters a Clearwater strip club. He leaves three hours later thinking he's spent $600.

A few days later he checks his credit card account and learns he was charged $50,000.

There's no punchline or joke.

That's what Lokesh Simon James said happened to him after a March night spent at the Bliss Cabaret, 3860 Ulmerton Road.

James, 32, has filed a lawsuit in Pinellas County Circuit Court against the gentleman's club and a former Bliss Cabaret bartender, Doug Berube. His suit demands that he be repaid the money he says he was overcharged, plus interest, attorney fees and court costs.

"There's no way to spend that kind of money," said James' attorney, David Sockol of St. Petersburg. "How many dances would it take before you run up $50,000 at $20 a dance?''

James went alone to the strip club at about 9:45 p.m. on a Wednesday, Sockol said. He said James doesn't deny he spent around $600 in dances, tips and drinks.

Bliss Cabaret officials declined comment.

James, of Pinellas Park, contacted Bank of America to report the charges, Sockol said. He was told that because he was at the club, the charges couldn't be reported as fraudulent, the attorney said.

Sockol said his client is in "shock."

"Do the math,'' Sockol said. "It's impossible to spend $50,000."

11 comments

• randy77
    12 years ago
    Maybe Stiletto25 was working on this night.

Sorry Stiletto. I couldn't resist a little friendly dig. lol.
  • sinclair
    12 years ago
    First rule of strip clubbing is: you do not use a credit card in the strip club.

This guy was an amateur asking to get burned.
  • jackslash
    12 years ago
    "James, of Pinellas Park, contacted Bank of America to report the charges, Sockol said. He was told that because he was at the club, the charges couldn't be reported as fraudulent, the attorney said."

This is a surprising statement, and it does not reflect my experience. I have disputed credit card charges (never from a strip club and never so large), and the credit card companies have always been very cooperative. One of the best features of credit cards is that you have protection against fraud, and the credit card companies have good reason to help their customers.
  • JohnBuford
    12 years ago
    Something doesn't feel/sound right about the "because he was there..." line.I had a dispute with a hotel a few years ago and was unable to resolve it.I put American Express on it and it was a slam dunk,I got my money back.They never said "well you were at the ho tel,so you can't dispute it." I'm thinking there may be more going on here than we now know.
  • gatorfan
    12 years ago
    He tipped them $49,400?
  • randy77
    12 years ago
    Yes, something does sound fishy. I have a business that accepts credit cards. The card companies are ALWAYS on the side of the customer. The card companies make me provide the merchant copy of the receipt and the signature BETTER match or I'm SOL. I get notified of a dispute via mail and often the deadline for my response has passed due to snail mail.
  • motorhead
    12 years ago
    "Do the math,'' Sockol said. "It's impossible to spend $50,000."

Not entirely IMPOSSIBLE.

Mr. Sockol, did you read the story this week of ex NFL player Pac Man Jones regretfully telling rookie players that he blew One Million Dollars in a single weekend on strippers, booze, and drugs?
  • steve229
    12 years ago
    "He was told that because he was at the club, the charges couldn't be reported as fraudulent, the attorney said."

Like jackslash, I find that statement puzzling. Admittedly I haven't read the Fair Credit Billing Act in its entirety, but I doubt there's an exception in there for strip clubs.

http://ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/consumer/cre…
  • sinclair
    12 years ago
    Type the guy's name in google. There is a mugshot and charge for "scheme to defraud".
  • Papi_Chulo
    12 years ago
    ^^^ He does look kind of shady in that mug shut.
  • deogol
    12 years ago
    AMEX sticks by it's customer's far more closely than the other credit card companies.

But, they do, do their home work, their "due diligence." If there is any hint of connivance or fraud in the past or the incident in question, they will let you hang.

I agree with the other posters - NEVER USE A CREDIT CARD/CHARGE CARD in the club.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion