tuscl

Ugly Americans

jerikson40
New York
Recently saw a staggering statistic, and it's been all over the news.

Apparently, two out of three American women is either overweight or obese. What does that mean? Well, for someone 5' 6" tall, normal weight is between 120-150 lbs. Overweight is 150-180lbs, and obese is greater than 180 lbs.

Yes, this applies to men also, but for women the numbers are higher than for men. And since in this forum we mostly discuss women, deal with it.

That means for every three women you see, two of them are AT LEAST overweight. I think the split is 1/3 are overweight and 1/3 are obese. And those numbers are growing. And as we all know, many women who are not overweight are heading there as soon as they get married.

Oh, and for those childish douchebags who feel compelled to respond with some variation of "I know you are, but what am I?", don't bother.

42 comments

• shadowcat
    12 years ago
    I don't doubt those numbers at all. For you young guys out there that may want to get married in the future and wonder what your potential wife may look like 20 years after you marry her, just look at her mother. If her mom is trim & fit, there is a good chance that she will be too. The reverse will also most likely be true. Fat mom, fat daughter.
  • maburton
    12 years ago
    There's a lot of mitigating factors. Look at what cheap food is in America vs. what quality food is. Not to mention all the misinformation and disinformation about what practices are healthy vs. what isn't. We consume news and information like it's at a Chinese buffet and we don't know what to do with either.

I could go on a diatribe here because of my current experiences in losing weight, but I'll save it. It's actually challenging to be at a healthy weight in the USA for a wide variety of reasons - so none of this information should be shocking.
  • Stiletto25
    12 years ago
    According to the CDC, in a 2012 article, as of 2010 men have caught up with women on the obese scale.
  • Alucard
    12 years ago
    "It's actually challenging to be at a healthy weight in the USA for a wide variety of reasons - so none of this information should be shocking"

So true. :)
  • pabloantonio
    12 years ago
    My ATF is not skinny. She has curves and has a very nice ass. It's funny, as long as I have known her, she has never told me how much she weighs and I have never asked.

I know she weighs more now than a few years ago, but that hasn't stopped horny bastards from asking her for dances.

Come to think of it, it hasn't stopped me from seeing her either.

I dont require my dancers to be perfect. As long as women are not obese, I still think they are beautiful.
  • motorhead
    12 years ago
    Take a look at a map of the obesity rates by state. I think it's very interesting.

Obesity and geography is definitely correlated. The fattest states are in the South. With the exception of Florida abd to a lesser extent Georgia. Next fattest are the Rust Belt states of Michigan, Ohio, and Indiana. All of the Western states from the foothills of the Rockies to the Pacific are the slimmest as are the large Northeast urban areas including Washington DC.

I'm sure a variety of factors contribute to these trends. Education, weather & exercise, just to name some. It would be interesting to figure out the exact reasons why there are such definite lines.
  • vincemichaels
    12 years ago
    Sorry guys, but with this topic in mind, the avatar I had the other day comes back.
  • pabloantonio
    12 years ago
    Vince:

Showing that avatar to us horny TUSCL bastards is like showing the Sun to a vampire. MY EYES, MY EYES, ....must return to the dark club.

(Alucard, flee for your life!)
  • jerikson40
    12 years ago
    Mitigating factors, rationalizations and finger pointing aside, the fact is it's freakin' disgusting. Maybe it's because I'm getting older, but I'm getting so freakin' tired of seeing these disgusting fat women all over the place who don't take care of themselves.

Got my hair cut today. Of the five "stylists" in the shop, four of them were HUGE. Not just overweight, but freakin' porkers. So my stylist, of course the largest one there, takes me back to wash my hair. She's hovering over me, and her arms were so fat that this huge roll of blubber was hanging down and flapping around just above my nose as she washed my hair. Disgusting.

There's more to it than just blaming everyone else. But we've become a nation of finger pointers, so it's just going to get worse. And we've got morons on TV telling women to be proud that they are fat as a house.

For those who want to point their fingers at me 'cuz it makes them feel better about themselves, it's a nice day here and I'm going on a bike ride. Like I did yesterday. I weigh 183 and I'm 5' 11". Slightly overweight, not much. So point your fingers elsewhere.
  • Alucard
    12 years ago
    "I don't require my dancers to be perfect"

I suspect that there is at least 1 TUSCL member who does. ;)
  • Ermita_Nights
    12 years ago
    It's definitely getting worse here in Michigan. When I look at my high school yearbook, most of the group photos have one pudgy girl, the rest are skinny or normal. And the pudgy girl would be considered normal today.

When I was a kid, Coke came in a six ounce bottle. Now the smallest bottle of Coke you can buy is 16 ounces, with a liter or two being more common.

At MacDonalds, there used to be one size of burger. Then the "Quarter Pounder" came out and it was considered enormous. Now you can still get a normal size burger, but it's not on the menu, you have to ask for it as a special item.
  • pabloantonio
    12 years ago
    J Eric:

Easy brother, if girls are FAT, that's their problem, not ours. Just pass on the fat girls and leave the porkers for someone else.

Hate to burst your image of hairdressers, but muy hairdresser is about 5'4", 120 lbs, 34C, 26 - 35 blonde who does a good Job of cutting my hair.

Time for you to find a new hairdresser.

Oh, and a visit to a good quality stripclub this week should cure your "I cant take seeing all these fat asses" syndrome. Good hunting.
  • SuperDude
    12 years ago
    High schools have dropped or greatly reduced mandatory gym/physical education, because fatties were embarassed in the locker room. High schools have allowed fast food and soda pop suppliers to invade the cafeteria or allowed students to leave the building at lunch time to eat at nearby fast food franchises. And once they are old enough fatties are hired as dancers in Detroit at clubs like Ace of Spades. An old survey I remember hearing about said that Detroit had the highest per capita consumption of potato chips and television viewing. A city of couch potatoes supplies our strip clubs.
  • jerikson40
    12 years ago
    "According to the CDC, in a 2012 article, as of 2010 men have caught up with women on the obese scale."

Wow, thanks. Good information. Now all the fat women can breathe a sigh of relief and go back to their Haagen Dazs.
  • jerikson40
    12 years ago
    By the way, I just did 12 miles on my bike. Not a lot, but it was wonderful. And there's absolutely no reason that any person out there can't do the same thing. How many people spend their freakin' lives on their computers on Facebook or whatever, and then blame everyone and everything else because they are fat. There's no excuse whatsoever.

Anyway, all of this is one reason why I respect strippers so much. And I'm being serious. Because compared to the vast majority of women out there who couldn't care less how they look, strippers actually spend some time looking their best. And I respect that. You can always count on seeing some nice looking women when you hit a club. And the way most women look in public nowadays, the bar is pretty low, so it doesn't take much to make me say "damn, that's nice".

The other reason I respect the profession is that they're kinda like doctors. They make guys feel good. Well, the good ones do...

And I respect that. It's a very unselfish thing to do, in a completely self centered society. So I honestly place strippers in the top 3 professions that I respect. Now that's not to say I necessarily respect them as people, but that's a whole different topic.
  • Stiletto25
    12 years ago
    I'd agree with Pablo on the fat topic. I also have a nice looking, in shape hairdresser. I don't think there is an unattractive one in the whole salon. They are selling an image and their own product. It seems like they would want to present themselves well while on the job.

As for women who are obese, my heart goes out to them. Being a woman with a weight problem would be devastating. If you have genetics working against you, it's worse.

• mjx01
    12 years ago
    Shadow has a good point, but not 100% reliable.
  • jerikson40
    12 years ago
    "As for women who are obese, my heart goes out to them."

And IMO that's part of the problem. We place so much importance on not offending them, and making them feel good and proud about themselves. Does it help them fix the problem? No. The problem is already beyond comprehension, and by all accounts getting much worse. But what's apparently very important is that none of the fat women feel offended. And they have support groups. And Oprah and Tyra tell them how proud they should be. And nobody calls them "fat", because that would hurt them.

It's insane.
  • thesamurai
    12 years ago
    Its not just in America man, this is a world trend. Fast food, processed food, Internet instead of exercise, lots of reasons why people are getting fatter.
  • sharkhunter
    12 years ago
    I blame all the added high frutose corn syrup under that name or under some other disguised name that has been added to so many food items here in the US. I read something about it back a few weeks ago and the added ingredient seems to coincide with an increase in diabetes and weight of people here in the US. Of course everyone wants something to blame but it has been added to food all over the place here. I thought I read it wasn't in all the food overseas.

I know some people work hard at trying to keep the weight off and some resort to using diet pills. I suspect one dancer or two that I know of may be using such products and for one dancer, I believe it makes her sweat a lot because she suddenly started to become super sweaty in the last year or two. Makes me not want to get dances from her. Of course looking quite flabby has the same affect as well.

Now that I think about it, I should have asked all those older thin dancers I've met how they manage to stay so thin especially the ones that were in their upper 30's and one that was in her 50's. Of course they might just say that they don't eat much.
  • sharkhunter
    12 years ago
    I believe the other part of the weight problem is Americans not getting enough sleep. I read we are a sleep deprived nation. Of course losing sleep decreases the metabolism and other bad things start happening with our weight etc. over time. Instead of working out harder, some might be better off going to sleep early and maybe even wearing ear plugs if their sleep is disturbed a lot. Stupid birds keep waking me up this time of year during the middle of the night. There are too many lights outside.
  • motorhead
    12 years ago
    Fat & Ugly people. Hell yeah. Kill em all.

We don't want THOSE kind of people in our neighborhood do we?

Next thing you know they'll be want to join our all-skinny country clubs, eat fried chicken in public, and even have their own restrooms. Can't have that now! Whar's next? A fat person might want to run for president. We have to stop the insanity!
  • vincemichaels
    12 years ago
    My Avatar for President !!! Fuck Romney and Obama !!
  • georgmicrodong
    12 years ago
    You have a hair "stylist"?

WTF is the world coming to? Don't you have any self respect?
  • jerikson40
    12 years ago
    "I blame all the added high fructose corn syrup"
    "I believe the other part of the weight problem is Americans not getting enough sleep"

Uh, no. Those are excuses, not causes. There's a very simple reason why so many people are fat. Here it is. Are you ready?

DON'T PUT SO MUCH FREAKIN' FOOD IN YOUR MOUTH !!!

Jeez, how simple can it be? We blame Macdonalds, we blame genetics, we blame corn syrup, we blame everybody and every thing. But we never blame ourselves, because as Jack Nicholson said, "You can't handle the truth!!" So we've become a society of finger pointers.

• steve229
    12 years ago

Sorry, stopped to get an Egg McMuffin. What were you saying?
  • vincemichaels
    12 years ago
    Damn, steve229 and you didn't buy any for my Avatar? That's cold !
  • thesamurai
    12 years ago
    Thats weird, I thought we were a country of whiners with Jerickson as the Dear Leader. Probably won't last long though, somebody's bound to vid him with their phone, following girls around costco with drool on his chin and a tent in his pants. Big scandal ensues, heads will roll.
  • Alucard
    12 years ago
    "Thats weird, I thought we were a country of whiners with Jerickson as the Dear Leader. Probably won't last long though, somebody's bound to vid him with their phone, following girls around costco with drool on his chin and a tent in his pants. Big scandal ensues, heads will roll."

BRAVO thesamurai! The more of us who call this fool out the better. LMAO
  • motorhead
    12 years ago
    "Sorry, stopped to get an Egg McMuffin. What were you saying?"

Get one for me and add extra cheese.

.... Oh on second thought, better not. Don't want the OP to call out the food brownshirts on me.
  • Rod8432
    12 years ago
    In nearly every case of obesity (with v-e-r-y rare exceptions), it comes down to personal responsibility, will power, and committing to what one wants. It takes a lot of food/calories to feed all that fat, so somehow, the food's gotta pass the lips of the obese, no matter how little they say they eat or how much they say they don't want to be obese. Often, 3000+ calories a day somehow find their way to their stomachs.

For proof, we need look no further than cases where with sufficient motivation, the obese can figure it out and lose the weight. It's the ol' "gun to the head" idea, but it doesn't take a gun - just something figuratively as motivating. My formerly fat, and now fat again, aunt lost her weight so she could look good on her wedding day (that's "motivation" for her). A friend's dad looks like a senior magazine model due to losing weight after a heart attack that almost killed him. And so it goes...

The good food's out there, along with exercise options, so it's just a matter of choice. Now I agree that the more choices most people have (especially easy ones), the more trouble they tend to get themselves into. Short of mandating how these people eat (which I'd never do), then I say, let them reap what they sow.

As an alternative, we as a nation could also require our fat politicians to stop being hypocrites and set an example. If they (the government) want to establish healthy eating/body weight as national policy (which presumably they do), then politicians and their appointees (Yes, I'm referring to you, Ms. Benjamin - http://nctba.internetfd.info/wp-content/…) should be held to that standard. It's beyond ridiculous to expect anyone to take a healthy body seriously when those advocating the standard, especially the nation's highest placed doctor, don't adhere to it themselves.
  • Alucard
    12 years ago
    " Positions are usually already set in concrete and any valid points are never heard"

Valid points &/or opinions on any subject can be posted & discussed. Getting a balanced & civil discussion is VERY dependent on the "presentation" of the point &/or opinion & the willingness of the respondants to reply to balanced & civil opinions in the same manner. Condescendance does nothing to advance a balanced discussion IMHO.
  • jerikson40
    12 years ago
    And where does calling someone a "fool" fall in your rules for balanced discussions? Or agreeing with someone who calls a certain poster an "asshole"?

Dude, get real. You decided you dislike me, and from now on, until the end of time, you'll find any way you can to make fun of me and call me names. Face it, you (and some others here) are like little kids on the playground, and you have no interest whatsoever in a balanced discussion when I'm involved.
  • vincemichaels
    12 years ago
    Of the 3 women I am looking at here in a McDonalds (customers), 2 of them are at least over 200 pounds, including one brunette in a green t-shirt that is soaked in her sweat. YIKES !!
  • Alucard
    12 years ago
    "You decided you dislike me, and from now on, until the end of time, you'll find any way you can to make fun of me and call me names"

I don't dislike you personally. I do have a problem at times with some arrogant &/or all encompassing opinions you offer. Are the replies you made in this thread balanced? Perhaps if in your presentation of opinions you decide not to appear as though you are an Asshole &/or Fool others would not call you names.

Hey I'm guilty as charged in calling other posters names at times. I'll try to to reform. My apologies jerikson40.
  • MADDOG_ROMEO
    12 years ago
    jerikson, I apologize for calling you out so strongly in that other thread....Perhaps I should have been more diplomatic, but quite frankly I was pissed at you're direct and indirect comments towards stiletto who I (and many of us) hold in high regard....If she can be civil towards you even now, than certainly I can be....

One other thing Jerikson, - Stiletto is awesome, so is Drac, and all of these other regulars on this board....We got a truce in the playground as far as I'm concerned - lol, just don't piss me off...
  • georgmicrodong
    12 years ago
    Shit, you come on here and act like an asshole, whining because some stranger won't go out of her way to dress provocatively enough to give you a boner and follow her around drooling and wetting your pants, and then get all whiny when people notice and call you on it?

Fucking amazing.
  • deogol
    12 years ago
    "Shit, you come on here and act like an asshole, whining because some stranger won't go out of her way to dress provocatively enough to give you a boner and follow her around drooling and wetting your pants, and then get all whiny when people notice and call you on it?

Fucking amazing."

I don't understand... what's the problem? :)
  • MADDOG_ROMEO
    12 years ago
    jerikson, somehow it comes as no surprise that you didn't respond to my post above....I classify this as "passive deflection"....but then again, I've seen your MO is to engage in your dreaded (wait for it) hypocritical "deflection" whenever it seems to suit you (which is pretty fucking frequently)....
  • motorhead
    12 years ago
    A discussion of obesity rates, health effects, and possible economic outcomes is an interesting and relevant discussion.

Simply call overweight women "ugly" and "disgusting" is not.
  • Alucard
    12 years ago
    "A discussion of obesity rates, health effects, and possible economic outcomes is an interesting and relevant discussion.

Simply call overweight women "ugly" and "disgusting" is not."

I would think it was readily apparent to most fellow TUSCL members what kind of person we are dealing with regarding jerikson40. I have formed a good idea.
  • motorhead
    12 years ago
    Though the OP could have presented his POV a bit more artfully, I was reminded today that some of what he had to say is important.

While at a Subway for lunch, a young girl (about 9 or 10) ordered a sandwich. Her mother was with her, but let the girl order herself. She ordered chicken breast - a good start - but made it a footlong with double cheese, double bacon, pepperoni, double olives, and extra mayo.

Ok, I don't what to be the food police, but where is some parental guidance? If parents aren't going to teach a little dietary responsibility, the obesity rate will continue to climb.

I'm overweight, so I too may be a hypocrite. But at least by ordering a 6 inch plain turkey breast, I was trying.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion