tuscl

Nuns fight strip club next to convent in Stone Park

jackslash
Detroit strip clubs
"Nuns fight strip club next to convent in Stone Park" The headlight says it all. Strip clubs do not have a good reputation and are subject to regulations. Why in the hell would an owner build a strip club next to a convent?

http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/10492…

19 comments

• bang69
    13 years ago
    wow thats interesting
  • Alucard
    13 years ago
    Because perhaps the land was the right price and was Zoned to allow it & the publicity.
  • georgmicrodong
    13 years ago
    You'd think the nuns would welcome the opportunity to save all those sinners, and expose those poor exploited women to the benefits of cleaving themselves to God alone.
  • shadowcat
    13 years ago
    It appears to me that the club has the law on it's side. However the question is wether or not the "morality police" will try to stop the club from opening or get it shut down by raiding the club looking for violations.
  • vincemichaels
    13 years ago
    Maybe the club sees a golden opportunity to recruit some of the nuns.
  • georgmicrodong
    13 years ago
    @shadowcat: What the hell difference does *that* make. Those bastard lawyers will get involved and convince some judge that they missed dotting an "i" someplace, and the whole thing will be tied up in court until the club owners run out of money.

Fucking church assholes. "Turn the other cheek." Until it's the church that has to do the turning.
  • shadowcat
    13 years ago
    george - I agree that the sharks will get into it but how much money is in the cofers of a community with only 5,000 residents vs a well financed club owner?
  • georgmicrodong
    13 years ago
    If the Church gets involved, a nearly unlimited amount...
  • shadowcat
    13 years ago
    Good point!
  • thesamurai
    13 years ago
    If conservatives can force Muslims not to be able to build a community center near ground zero, they can certainly go around the law again to prevent this. They just have to get a Hannity or Beck to turn the robots on.
  • jester214
    13 years ago
    I might get stoned for this but... I think I side with the nuns on this one.

99% of the time I think the fight over where to allow them is ridculous, but something about this just seems wrong to me.
  • JuiceBox69
    13 years ago
    Maybee I should become the priest and start selling vip's in the back of the parish at $100 per 45min....."everythang included"
  • Club_Goer_Seattle
    13 years ago
    A somewhat related story: I had a major fave a few years ago. Then I lost touch with her. I knew her full real name. One day I happened to Google it. What came up was the same kind of story in the above Sun-Times article. It centered around a nun, in a different city, who had the exact same name as the fave I knew. The nun was leading her church in protesting the opening of a new strip club. I wish the girl I knew could have seen that article!
  • motorhead
    13 years ago
    Nuns + liquor = good times

Girls just wanna have fun
  • shadowcat
    13 years ago
    Q: Do you know how to get a nun pregnant?

A: Dress them up like alter boys.
  • JuiceBox69
    13 years ago
    Lol motor & shadow
  • JacksonEsskay
    13 years ago
    Let me preface this remark by saying that I support the right of anyone to operate a lawful business of any kind, however, I also believe that exercising a right and exercising restraint should go hand in hand. I would no more want a strip club to be built next to a convent than I would want a church to decide to locate next to an existing strip club. Nor would I want a bar to open next to a rehab center of vice-versa. I think I might not be too upset to to see an ice cream parlor open up next to a Jenny Craig, however :-)

I will say further that if the nuns want to shut the club down without going to court, they should just picket it in full habits and carry rulers instead of picket signs. I guarantee that no one who went to catholic school will go within a mile of the place!
  • Ermita_Nights
    13 years ago
    Damn, I saw the discussion title, "Nuns fight strip club..." and thought it was going to be about a club that was staging boxing matches between nuns as a publicity stunt. I'd go see that.

Vince: I had the same thought about recruitment.
  • shadowcat
    13 years ago
    Here is an idea. Why don't the nuns buy the strip club and do this:

BOYNTON BEACH, Fla. -- A new and holier chapter for a former Boynton Beach strip club starts in just weeks. It is turning into a church.

"It brought a lot of drugs and illegal activity," said Vivian Brooks, Boynton Beach CRA.

That's what investigators say the Boynton Beach strip club Platinum Showgirls offered patrons for years.

"There were rooms in the back, three or four rooms. There were beds and mattresses in there, chairs. It was pretty nasty."

All of it right in downtown Boynton Beach with a neighborhood just feet away, separated by trees and rusty barbed wire.

The party ended October 2009. Police and DEA agents raided Platinum Showgirls and made multiple prostitution and drugs arrests. The building sat empty for two years. Then a local pastor walked in.

"Now it's a house of God now."

In a few weeks the Evangelic Assembly of Christ Church will hold its first services in the building they bought for $600,000 and paid $200,000 to renovate.

"It was so ugly. It looked nasty inside," said Pastor Dumont Pierre, Evangelic Assembly of Christ Church.

Pastor Dumont Pierre showed CBS 12 around the building. The room where the girls used to get ready, is now the pastor's office. From the tile on the floors to the light fixtures, the entire building is being renovated.

The Boynton Beach Community Redevelopment Association says recent investment in the downtown area is making a big impact.

"There were actually three strip clubs in our corridor and they are all gone now," said Vivian Brooks.

As church volunteers roll out the new carpet, surrounded by freshly painted white walls, they pray people appreciate the symbolism.

The pastor says if everything goes as planned they want to have the first services in the church in just a few weeks.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion