tuscl

OT: Day of Infamy

londonguy
Breathe, breathe in the air
Wednesday, December 7, 2011 6:57 AM
Just wondering if this date (Dec 7) is recognized nationally in any way?

25 comments

• shadowcat
    13 years ago
    National Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day, which is observed annually on December 7, is to remember and honor all those who died in the attack on Pearl Harbor on December 7, 1941. On August 23, 1994, United States Congress, by Pub.L. 103-308, designated December 7 of each year as National Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day.[1] National Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day is also referred to as Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day or Pearl Harbor Day. It is a tradition to fly the Flag of the United States at half-staff until sunset in honor of dead patriots.
  • georgmicrodong
    13 years ago
    @lg: A few of us old farts whose parents were alive then still observe it, and as shadowcat points out, it's officially observed even if it's not a holiday, but I'm not sure it has much recognition beyond that. I could wish I was wrong, but I gave up tilting at windmills...
  • vincemichaels
    13 years ago
    RIP, our veterans and civilians that died in that sneak attack.
  • Doc_Holliday
    13 years ago
    You know, I think I'll watch From Here To Eternity, tonight. Anyone got any more suggestions? And please don't say Pearl Harbor, that movie was a steaming pile of... I didn't like that movie.
  • rrbill
    13 years ago
    Tora! Tora! Tora! Is a pretty good film.
  • magicrat
    13 years ago
    The History Channel has a 2 hour special on tonight.
  • londonguy
    13 years ago
    Agree with you Vince. @gmd: what do you mean by 'tilting at windmills', another expression for giving up hope?
  • DFFECHSWU
    13 years ago
    I just read in FL Today that there are planned memorial services for those who want their ashes taken to the USS Utah or USS Arizona (the only ones that remain). The only ones whose ashes can be taken there are the ones that served on either ship.
  • georgmicrodong
    13 years ago
    @lg: Sort of. It's a reference to Don Quixote, fighting unwinnable or futile battles, among other meanings.
  • LeeH
    13 years ago
    Obama probably apologized to Akihito.
  • Clubber
    13 years ago
    Do they even teach our history in schools any longer?
  • farmerart
    13 years ago
    Well clubber, I have been giving tutorials in American history to steve229. Always room for one more in farmerart's classroom.
  • motorhead
    13 years ago
    "Do they even teach our history in schools any longer?" Well probably not this part of history. I think the left would believe that Japan is too important of a trading partner for us to teach kids the Japanese once attacked us. But having a father that fought in Pacific, I won't forget.
  • steve229
    13 years ago
    Oh, that "Day of Infamy." I thought we were talking about the time farmerart visited Bogart's.
  • Clubber
    13 years ago
    motor, Perhaps they teach that we provoked them somehow. You know how everything bad in the world is the fault of the United States, at least according to our Apologizer In Chief!
  • vincemichaels
    13 years ago
    Damn, I never knew they had cameras at Bogarts. (:
  • farmerart
    13 years ago
    I must add that I meant no disrespect here. Like motorhead I am the son of a WWII combat veteran. My father fought the Nazis in Europe until the end of the war in 1945. I have much admiration for the military of our two countries.
  • farmerart
    13 years ago
    @steve229; You forget your American history but remember my review of Bogarts when I met vincemichaels? Sheesh............!!
  • Dougster
    13 years ago
    Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?
  • Clubber
    13 years ago
    No, Belushi, it wasn't!
  • thesamurai
    13 years ago
    No, according to righty revisionist history that they are trying to have taught in our schools, it was the Iraqis that bombed pearl harbor. Our actions against Iraq can finally settle on a justification. They used their vast fleet of long range camels to do the job. I'm assuming they were sopwith, as I don't think even the average stupid righty would believe an actual camel could fly.
  • Doc_Holliday
    13 years ago
    Forget it, he's rolling.
  • Doc_Holliday
    13 years ago
    also: [view link] (sorry, I should have posted that days ago)
  • Doc_Holliday
    13 years ago
    and last [view link] is more my speed.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion