tuscl

"Dollar" Tipping

DougS
Florida
One of my biggest irritations in a club, is the post-stage performance money begging. I'm talking about how the dancer comes off stage after her performance and goes from patron to patron asking for a tip. If I wanted to tip her, I would've tipped her when she was on the stage. (when I stage-side tip, it's a girl that interested me enough to get up off my ass and walk to the stage, so I'm definitely interested, and then I don't just tip a buck - it's usually a fin or a 10-spot; maybe even a Jackson if I want her to come visit me bad enough, after she's through)

I hate it when the girls come by and ask me the dreaded question, "Are you tipping tonight?". What do I get out of that, except $1 lighter in the wallet?!! I will usually reply to that question with, "and what does a dollar get me?" or maybe "not right now, I just got here", or something equally lame.

Especially annoying, and in my mind extremely rude, is when I'm sitting with a girl of my choice, enjoying a private conversation, and another girl strolls up and asks for a tip. I do not think I should be interrupted for that, and I think it's somewhat disrespectful to the girl that I am with. I refuse to tip in that case, and usually explain to my table-mate my reasoning, so that she doesn't think I'm some cheap jerk.

As for stage-tipping, I am not one of those guys that will get up on stage and lie down with a bill in his mouth. First, who knows where the heck that bill has been, especially at a strip club! Secondly, I don't want to be a spectacle. I will just stand there at a corner of the stage and make the girl come over so that I can tuck it and maybe have a quick chat. I HAVE layed on the stage a few times in my "career", however (probably less than 10 times) and probably will again sometime.

Any thoughts?

20 comments

• casualguy
    18 years ago
    I was tired when I posted I don't know what a tip walk is. I really meant to say I have never experienced a tip walk so I don't know what it is like first hand to really know it. I can read all kinds of definitions but experience is different than reading about things. Didn't mean to make anyone misunderstand me.
  • chandler
    18 years ago
    Casualguy: "Tip walk" is a term for the subject of this thread, which Doug described at the top. It is done in all parts of the country as far as I know, although it tends to be only in some of the less upscale clubs.

As for dollar dances, I really don't like it at all when the DJ orchestrates them, telling customers to hold up a dollar bill if they want one, then yelling "Switch!" to the girls every 30 seconds. That's the kind of disruptive, DJ-centric gimmick I would expect at a Deja Vu. The dollar dances I like are where some strippers decide on their own to circulate and offer them without any involvement from the DJ, and without everything else in the room coming to a halt. They do it at several clubs in Michigan and Indiana. There are always several girls offering them at any given time at Brad's Brass Flamingo.
  • Yoda
    18 years ago
    There is no tip walk in Mass, RI clubs or CT clubs. Dancers approach you after their set to see if you want to buy a dance. Yes, a few pain in the ass skanks at some of the seedier clubs will approach you and ask for money but it's not that tough to just say no.

I've experienced the tip walk in San Diego and in Philly and honestly, I don't have a problem with it. If I watched the girl's set she deserves a tip.
  • Book Guy
    18 years ago
    My best dollar experiences, come to think of it, are when I've already "got my own" dancer, and I get her to come up to the stage to tip the girl who is doing her set. Often I get an up-close view of the two of them interacting, especially if I wisely choose two girls who know each other. I remember Dusty and Justice getting rather intimate within close view at PP Memphis once, won't ever forget it, in fact! :)
  • casualguy
    18 years ago
    I think I often get my dollar's worth out of the stage tips I provide. I think two hot girls with one in short shorts definitely got good value for their dollar tip at the stage. They lied down flat on their backs side by side at the top of some stairs for the stage. Then the sexy blonde stripper came over and straddled their legs and put her nice full breasts up against the females breasts in a pretty close embrace. Then she repeated this for the other girl. I had just tipped the stripper a dollar earlier and got to see this from about 2 feet away. Dollar tipping can be a lot of fun.
    :)
  • Book Guy
    18 years ago
    You can learn a lot about yourself, by being put in uncomfortable situations. Some girls at a club I frequent are very up-front about demanding a tip. "So, how about a dollar tip?" I respond "no thanks, not this time" quite directly. It takes cojones to be rejection-but-polite-but-stern all at the same time. It's a way of dealing with people, that involves eye contact and self confidence, and all that other stuff that slouching adolescents don't have.

I think a LOT of club-goers simply don't have those cojones. Hence, the market for dollar-grubbing of the unpleasant kind.
  • RickWood
    18 years ago
    I haven't been posting in the discussion area, just reviews. I suppose it's time I change that.

When I walk into the club I want to sit and watch a rotation of dancers to decide who I want to start tipping. I generally don't tip for the first song/bikini dance of a 2 or 3 dance set. I start tipping when the stripping starts. If I find her appealing, and there are very few tippers, I'll remain stage-side and tip her each time she comes around and pays a little attention to me. The good dancers won't wear you out and always make sure to come by and say "Thanks" after the dance. Maybe a little peck on the cheek, especially if I'm not a regular. Depending on the attitude, I may get a VIP or two at this point, or wait, tip her again the next round and then see about VIP dances.

I -ALWAYS- make sure I tip the waitress. If I get a $3.25 drink, I give her a $5, and other than checking on me occasionally, I'm usually not hounded for more drinks until I'm ready.

• casualguy
    18 years ago
    While I don't know what a tip walk is, stage tipping is common in my area and can be fun. I haven't been in a club that did dollar dances in years. However that could be fun as well. Basically the DJ announced what was going on and bouncers gave out change in one dollars to anyone who needed it ahead of time. Then the DJ would announce to everyone to hold up a dollar if they wanted a $1 lap dance that lasted for about 30 seconds or so from whatever stripper was nearby and you acted interested, then they switched for the next 30 seconds, and then repeat this process for 5 to 10 minutes. It could give you a good indication of what a more private lap dance from a dancer migh be like. It was also a way to get customers to spend their cash when they weren't otherwise.
  • token
    18 years ago
    The dollar dance routine is cool. If you prefer a dancer you can usually keep her attention by offering another dollar at the normal switch. Sometimes they just want to circulate to expand their potential client base--totally understandable. One club here used to do $5 dollar switch dances. You really got a feel for the lady (usually lasted 2-3 minutes) before the switch. One club here does a booty shake where the ladies form a circle around the stage and customers tip a dollar from behind. Thats classy. ;)
  • DailyGrind
    18 years ago
    If we (customers) pass on going to the stage (with exceptions- e.g., prearranging VIPs) most dancers are forced to visit the floor.

Let them come to me.
    After all, I don't just pay to be seduced.
    I pay to be approached and seduced.

Almost all of my area clubs offer dollar dances, but I still practice and preach the above.

When a hottie eventually visits, I tip them for both the DD (or equivalent) and for their latest stageshow.
    This usually assures regular and longer visits.

To those without DDs: Unite. Boycott the stage.
    They can be retrained ;)

Happy hunting,
    DG
  • casualguy
    18 years ago
    I don't recall ever being in a club that had something called a tip walk. Is that common in the northeast or some parts of the country? It's somewhat rare for a dancer to ask for a tip when she's not on stage at least in the clubs I've been to.
  • SteelerDawg
    18 years ago
    Same here.. I don't think I've ever seen a "tip walk" around these parts either.. (AZ).. or "dollar dances" for that matter. Even stage tipping here is kind of light from my experience.
  • Book Guy
    18 years ago
    I don't like ANYONE to ask for a tip. I don't like having to EXPLAIN that to anyone. Tips are EXTRA, for SUPERIOR service rendered.

When I get $100 worth of lap dances, I regularly tip $20 above the strict price. That's better than the "usual" 10% or 15% recommended in most service professions. I stage tip more than most guys, to the point that I've expended another $20 or so in singles by the end of the evening. And I nearly always add at least $1 to the cost of any drink, probably more, to bring it to a round figure so I don't have to carry around quarters and nickels. So when a butt-ugly dancer trolls by and demands a tip, and then doesn't take "no thanks, not now" for an answer, I get DANGED ANNOYED and FAST.
  • chandler
    18 years ago
    I guess part of what bugs me about the tip walk is that it's so routine. Even the dollar dance routine makes me wish the girls would use a little more imagination. A few times, I've been in clubs where a few new strippers would go around trying different favors for their tips, and it really made things interesting. It also helped that they weren't the usual sadsacks you see expecting a handout.
  • AbbieNormal
    18 years ago
    At some clubs, notably the ones in DC I'm most familiar with, it is common for the dancers to do a tip walk and thank the customers with a handshake after their set. They NEVER ask for a tip however and most won't bother a patron who is otherwise involved. It's a buck and I usually take my lead from the rest of the crowd if I'm outside familiar surroundings. Like most things this is very region and club dependant. I agree that asking "are you tipping tonight" is a rude thing to do and would be likely to reply "Yes, just not you."
  • hugevladfan
    18 years ago
    I never mind the stage walk. It's a freaking dollar folks. Granted there are some people I would prefer not to give one to and I am sure that there have been many times where I pass on doing so but if I have a few dollars available and I am sitting there watching women shake their derriers for ten minutes of entertainment it's more than worth it.
  • casualguy
    18 years ago
    Where I live at, it's very unusual for a dancer to come around and ask for a tip. About 99.9 percent of all dancers just take what they get at the stage. I believe the lap dances is where they usually make their main money anyway. For a dancer to ask me for a dance and then ask for a tip if I turn her down seems like a pity tip. On the other hand a couple of dancers did this one time and they asked for a tip after I turned down their invitation for a double lap dance. I offered them a dollar tip a piece. One girl took it and then the other girl acted pissed off saying I could keep my dollar because I might need it more and she had the other dancer give her dollar back. Needless to say, they were pretty stupid to ask me for a lap dance later in the evening. That's not the way to make someone like you. I'm glad it's only a few out of state dancers visiting that ask for a tip when not on stage. It makes it seem to me like they are so desparate for money they have to ask for tips by walking the club like a street pandler.
  • casualguy
    18 years ago
    If any dancers happen to read this, this is one reason some guys are so quick to get rid of dancers just asking to sit at their table. They don't want a dance and they don't want to be asked to tip the dancer just because they spent a minute or two trying to get one. I heard one dancer acted a bit upset because some guys were telling her to get lost, they didn't want a dance when she never even asked them.

I myself have had several dancers sit and chat after I turned them down for a dance. They continued to sit and chat and never asked me to buy them a drink or for a pity tip. I don't mind dollar tipping if I get something out of it though such as a club special where dancers do a 30 second lap dance for a dollar and switch to another customer if you got a dollar out to tip them.
  • token
    18 years ago
    Haven't been to any clubs here where dancers circulate after their set for tips...that seems retarded somehow. If you really wanted to tip, you would have already. There is one club that continues with the tired old "can I have a dollar for the juke box?" before they go on stage. Of course, the JB is free for them to punch in their numbers but we, I guess, are supposed to be too stupid to realize that. Basically, I good about tipping (Im one of those saps that believe they have a hard life) if the set is good or if they rub on me between sets (assuming they are decent looking).
  • chandler
    18 years ago
    I agree. The panhandling style has no place in a strip club. It's always the bowsers who need to resort to it. I'm all in favor of girls circulating for tips, but they should offer something in exchange - a mini-lap, a feel, etc. - and not try to make it seem like you owe her for something. The line about tipping for a dance you already chose not to tip her for is for losers.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion