tuscl

Another Memphis club to bite the dust.

shadowcat
Atlanta suburb
'Babes of Babylon' Strip Club Shut Down Again

Updated: Thursday, 08 Sep 2011, 12:25 PM CDT
Published : Thursday, 08 Sep 2011, 12:25 PM CDT

MEMPHIS, Tenn. - The Shelby County District Attorney's office shut down the strip club Babes of Babylon for the second time in less than a year.

District Attorney General Amy Weirich stated that several instances of prostitution and drug activity led to the closure. The club, located on East Brooks Road, had been temporarily shut down as a public nuisance in December 2010 for similar charges.

"The club's owners leave us no choice," said Weirich. "We shut them down in December, reached an agreement of what is expected of them, and they have chosen to ignore what the law requires of them. The prostitution and drug use has not stopped and we will not stop trying to rid the community of this nuisance."

Undercover MPD officers conducted an investigation at the club from May to September 2011. During that time, officers witnessed dancers in the club performing various sex acts in exchange for cash. Also, they witnessed the club's staff being paid to ignore the illegal activities.

"The Memphis Police Department will continue to aggressively investigate all establishments who choose not to operate within the parameters of the law," said Director Toney Armstrong.

The owners of Babes of Babylon are due in court on September 12.

2 comments

• bang69
    13 years ago
    There is not a club in the US that doesn't break the rules
  • runrdude
    13 years ago
    My travels took me to Memphis three times this summer, but I didn't stop in here. I kind of wish I had now.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion