tuscl

Do DJ's play what they want or what the Dancer wants?

I know that it is a little of both, but in general does the DJ play songs that cater to the crowd currently in the club, or is it more about what the dancer wants? I have been to several clubs where 1 of them seems to play water ever tune the dancer coming up wants, but at another club it seems like the DJ does what he wants to do. A girl might not even like rock music, but prefer R&B but he still might play a rock song for whatever reason.

11 comments

• Yoda
    18 years ago
    Chandler: That sums it up pretty well. In my area at least, most of the DJ's work only for tips-as the dancers do. In fact, many clubs charge the DJ a fee to work the club. Dancer tips are way more than just an influence on what gets played. The DJ lives on the the tips he gets from dancers. Most clubs impose a minimum tip that the girls have to pay the DJ for their shift. The amount a dancer gives above that is influenced by what he plays, and how he handles the rotation
  • chandler
    18 years ago
    The way it's supposed to work at clubs I frequent is something like this: Each girl has her selection of music that she likes to dance to. The job of the DJ is to play from among the songs she wants, taking into account what was played for the previous dancers and what is planned for upcoming sets. He tries to avoid playing the same song or the same artist too frequently, or playing six metal songs in row or too many songs of the same tempo. He also might advise her that the crowd tonight isn't responding to one type of music and persuade her to favor something different within her preferences.

Most of the time, however, he plays exactly what the dancer requests. Some girls like to make specific requests for each set. Some have longer playlists for the DJ to select from. And some girls always just dance to whatever he decides to play. In addition, the manager and owner have a say over what can and can't be played. And tips from the dancers or from customers can have an influence.
  • FONDL
    18 years ago
    It varies depending on the club, the DJ, and the dancer. But the one thing that has no impact is the prevailing tastes of the crowd. I've never been to a club that tries to cater to the tastes of the audiance. Virtually every club I've ever been in plays teenager music regardless of the age of the audiance.
  • Book Guy
    18 years ago
    Just a tip? They don't go up there and suck him off? I always thought those strange noises coming over the microphone must have been representative of more than just a tip ...
  • chitownlawyer
    18 years ago
    I'm going to assume that when the dj plays "Fat-Bottomed Girls", he's selecting according to his tastes, not the dancer's request.
  • Yoda
    18 years ago
    It's no coincidence when a dancer visits the DJ booth and then the DJ plays music that she likes. It's called a tip.
  • hugevladfan
    18 years ago
    It seems at the club I go to the majority of the music (if not all of it) is the dancers choice. All the girls I have talked to about it seem to know the songs upcoming for specific dancers.
  • casualguy
    18 years ago
    I was wondering about this the other night. I was sitting with one dancer and another dancer on stage I believe wanted to get a dance from me. I was wondering if it was just a coincidence the song Mortal Combat started playing. I was thinking probably but was wondering if the DJ was watching and thought it was funny. I'm thinking the dancer on the main stage picks the song playing when she goes on. At least at that particular club I'm thinking about.
  • DandyDan
    18 years ago
    At one of the clubs I go to, it's more or less what the dancer wants, but it's not simply whatever song they want. I always think there is a payoff there, because my old ATF would always go to the DJ booth before her set and more or less get the tunes she wanted.
  • Yoda
    18 years ago
    It depends on the club. Some DJ's play what the girls want, some play whatever they feel like and some have to adhere to a policy set by the club.
  • DougS
    18 years ago
    I think it's more the rules of the club. I think the majority will play at least one song requested by the dancer on stage, during her set, regardless of the prevailing crowd.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion