tuscl

Sports journalist-turned-pimp collected Marriott Rewards points

Kevin Provencher, the award-winning sports journalist sentenced to prison Friday for his role running a prostitution ring, stayed loyal to one hotel chain when conducting his "side business:" Marriott.

According to the July 28, 2009 police report posted online by the Eagle Tribune newspaper, Andover, Mass., police began investigating after staff from the Marriott-brand Springhill Suites hotel at 550 Minuteman Road called in possible prostitution activity.

Hotel staff told police that Provencher, 52, had been booking rooms at the hotel for several Thursdays and Fridays and "paying with a credit card linked to a rewards points system used by the chain of hotels owned by the Marriott hotels," the report says.

In other words, he booked rooms for prostitutes using Marriott Rewards credit card.

Marriott Reward's basic card gives cardholders perks such as 22,500 bonus points after their first purchase and 10 nights credit towards elite status.

Sometimes, according to the police report, he'd tell the staff that his "girlfriend or wife" was coming to meet him or was going to use the room while he was at work. After a female arrived, "a steady flow of men" would visit the room in half-hour or hour intervals, the report says.

Police detectives later spoke with a suspected prostitute, who Provencher initially interviewed for the job at a Starbucks. She told police that he'd arranged for her to work at "various Marriott hotels," including a Fairfield Inn and Springhill Suites in Manchester, N.H.

Prosecutors, by the way, said that Provencher required the women to pay him back for the hotel rooms he booked for them.

http://travel.usatoday.com/hotels/post/2…

5 comments

• steve229
    14 years ago
    Ha. Around that time (circa 2009) I was making regular business trips to Manchester, N.H. Stayed at both the Fairfield Inn and Springhill Suites, but didn't noticed anything going on, and never got any "reward" points.
  • CTQWERTY
    14 years ago
    As I said in a recent thread, report the devious activity to the hotel office and if it's a quality place they'll take an interest.

Marriott's do have nice beds though. And available for only $10 more a night than a Motel 6.
  • georgmicrodong
    14 years ago
    What a fucking moron. "Hey, lets run a prostitution racket on my credit card. Nobody will notice, I swear."
  • sinclair
    14 years ago
    At least he was loyal to his brand.
  • Dudester
    14 years ago
    In the 1990's, I worked at a Marriott. About a dozen times, I either threw out prostitutes and/or their pimps. On another dozen occasions, I threw out drug dealers.

Finally on one occasion, I threw out a prostitute who tried to set up (with kids-10 & 12) a drive up drug window.

You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion