tuscl

No jail for LT; Hall of Fame linebacker gets probation in plea deal

NFL Hall of Famer Lawrence Taylor avoided jail on Thursday by pleading guilty to two misdemeanor charges stemming from a May arrest on rape and prostitution charges.
The former New York Giants great will serve six years probation as part of the agreement, which saw him plead guilty to sexual misconduct and patronizing a prostitute. He will have to register as a sex offender.
In court, Taylor admitted to having sex with a prostitute who ended up being a 16-year-old runaway. "She told me she was 19," he said.
Ignorance of a victim's age isn't a defense in a third-degree rape case.
Taylor had previously rejected an offer that would have given him six months in jail and 10 years probation. With his trial weeks away, he took a lesser deal that will spare him any time in prison.
Taylor decided pleading was in everyone’s best interest, said his attorney, Arthur Aidala.

It's a victory for the former linebacker, although a hollow one if he truly believed in his innocence. After years of battling drug and alcohol abuse, Taylor had been rehabilitating his public image prior to the arrest. He competed on "Dancing With the Stars" in 2009 and was a spokesman for NutriSystem. The diet company dropped him after his latest brush with the law.
Former teammate and fellow Hall of Famer Harry Carson was in court supporting Taylor on Thursday.
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdow…

6 comments

• spandexman
    14 years ago
    Sadly too many former athletes turn out this way. Business managers and agents should help to educate them so they can make it in real society, because as star athletes they lived in a different world where rules never applied to them as long as thier team was winning and selling tickets. When they leave the field the real world is hard on them especially after they have blown their money and or agents and friends have stolen it. 70% of former NBA players will go broke withing 5 years of retiring from basketball and all too often athletes in other sports run into the same fate.
  • jackslash
    14 years ago
    It seems to me that he got off easy. Celebrity justice. If we did the same thing, we would rot in jail.
  • georgmicrodong
    14 years ago
    Not as bad as cop justice. Look up the story about a LMPD officer involved in a deadly wreck. 84 mph in a 45 zone, kills a teenager, and gets a 30 day suspension. The girl was over the legal alcohol limit, but even the police report doesn't conclude that was a factor in the accident, or her death.
  • vincemichaels
    14 years ago
    Nice job, LT. Who was your attorney?
  • Lewis1975
    14 years ago
    If I were the DA, I would not have charged him. It was an honest mistake.
  • georgmicrodong
    14 years ago
    District Attorneys don't get credit for *not* prosecuting cases. If you were the type of person who had the desire to be a DA, my guess is that you would indeed prosecute any case where you thought you had a reasonable chance of conviction, even if by plea bargain.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion