tuscl

Detectives: Coach with Prostitute When Shot

HOUSTON - Harris County Sheriff's detectives say a beloved high school varsity football coach was not the victim of a carjacking in mid-August; instead they say he was the victim of a shooting at a motel where he had met with a prostitute.

Lionell Crawford, 41, the head football coach at Aldine Senior High School, was shot on Aug. 13 at the Scottish Inn and Suites on Rankin Road in north Houston (next to Houston Dolls, and a stone's throw from St. James).

Crawford admitted to investigators he rented a room at the motel where he arranged to meet with Latangia Monique Grigsby, 26, and another female. He said the meeting with Grigsby was his second.

Within ten minutes of Grigsby entering the motel room, Crawford told investigators someone knocked at the door and Grigsby asked to use his handgun to scare the visitor she referred to as a friend. Crawford carried the weapon because he had a concealed handgun permit.

After an unidentified man entered the room, Grigsby stepped aside holding Crawford's gun, according to a statement on the Harris County District Clerk's website. The man who wore a blue mask pointed a gun at Crawford and made verbal threats toward him.

Crawford told investigators he struggled to grab the gun from the intruder and was shot in the abdomen. Following the shooting, Crawford said Grigsby and the masked suspect ran out of the motel room together.

Investigators determined a cell phone found in the room belonged to Grigsby, who was later identified as a suspect.

After Crawford identified Grigsby by photo, she was arrested and charged with aggravated robbery with a deadly weapon. She was released from jail after posting $30,000 bond.

Investigators have not found the unidentified shooting suspect.

Crawford returned to Aldine Senior High in early September to resume his position as coach after recovering from the shooting at Ben Taub General Hospital.

8 comments

• georgmicrodong
    14 years ago
    Well that was stupid. Why the fuck would he give his gun to her? Moron.
  • mmdv26
    14 years ago
    Coach was definitely lettin' the little head do the thinkin' there.
  • gatorfan
    14 years ago
    Did the prostitute need a coach? on the job training
  • MisterGuy
    14 years ago
    So much for a concealed handgun permit saving you from harm...ugh...what a dummy...
  • georgmicrodong
    14 years ago
    I don't know about anyone else, but *I* have never said that the mere fact of having a permit will save me from harm. I don't recall anyone else saying it, either. If they did, they are as misguided as those who think guns *cause* the problem.

A stupid idiot willingly giving his gun to someone he barely knew is what caused this particular problem. *Proper* use of his gun likely *would* have saved him from harm.
  • MisterGuy
    14 years ago
    "*Proper* use of his gun likely *would* have saved him from harm."

Like having a shootout with the other guy like we're back in the Old West? No thanx on that one either. How about not going to the meeting in the first place or just not answering the door??
  • uscue13
    14 years ago
    Anyone seen a photo of her?
  • georgmicrodong
    14 years ago
    "Proper" use does not necessarily imply shooting someone. I agree that he compounded stupidity with idiocy here, but *never* give up your gun. Unless it's the cops, of course.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion