tuscl

Golfer's swing sparks 25-acre California blaze

Wednesday, September 1, 2010 11:38 AM
You can use a golf club for all kinds of non-golfy purposes -- walking stick, fishing rod, club, to name three. And now we can add to that list -- firestarter.

Over the weekend, a golfer's routine swing in the rough at the Shady Canyon Golf Course in Irvine, Calif., struck a rock. Not so different from the way you play, right? Only this time, the impact caused a spark, and the spark set off a blaze that eventually covered 25 acres, according to the Steven Buck, General Manager of Shady Canyon Golf Course, and required the efforts of 150 Orange County firefighters, writes the Associated Press.

Wow. And I felt bad the time I shanked a ball through the window of a house too close to the fairway. That was nothing compared to this!

The golfer's name is being withheld, which is probably for the best, and no charges are going to be filed. Fortunately, it all could have been much worse. As it was, the blaze required both helicopters and on-the-ground crews.

The conditions were ripe for a blaze, with dry brush from a recent heat wave just waiting for the right spark. Like, say, one caused by metal on rock.

And now, your turn. This is going to inspire a raft of bad Sportscenter-esque "When we say he set the course on fire, he really set the course on fire!" jokes. So let's get ahead of the curve.

What, no 2 stroke penalty for that??

Probably using a Taylor Made Burner.

3-woods are not for kindling

Looks like he SMOKED the course to me.

All it takes is a little spark to heat up your game!

8 comments

• CTQWERTY
    14 years ago
    Time to ban golf!
  • Dudester
    14 years ago
    As a onetime volunteer firefighter, I've fought some large brush fires without the help of helicopters and such-they're no fun, and wildly unpredictable.

Don't get me started on California, where this incident happened. Because of the concerns of wacko environmentalists overriding common sense, California is a tinder box.
  • DandyDan
    14 years ago
    This is the thing I don't get about California. Everyone knows that they can have earthquakes, and they know there will be a massive fire every year, and yet people go there by the millions every year. I just don't see why so many people want to move there. It can't be just the weather, can it? Plus the cost of living has to be sky high. I think I prefer living here in the Midwest, even if it's Tornado Alley.
  • txtittyfan
    14 years ago
    Ca has a great climate and culture. I grew up in SoCal, and will retire there in 10 years. I visit frequently, but I would not want to work there. Too congested.
  • metaldude
    14 years ago
    Best golf accessory at that course.. a ball retriever... you can use it to toast marshmallows and stay at least 20' from the blaze.
  • Dudester
    14 years ago
    In the early 1980's, when I was stationed there, there were wide ugly firebreaks on top of the mountains. They were practical and necessary, but aesthetically uncharming to the eye. The environmentalists went to court and had the firebreaks, and other common sense measures done away with. Although there were wildfires before, the result after this court decree has caused massive destructive wildfires.
  • sharkhunter
    14 years ago
    I wonder if he saw the fire start and/or if he could have put it out with his foot.
  • mmdv26
    14 years ago
    I'm with sharkhunter on this. Fishy story. Maybe it was caused by spontaneous combustion from some hot strippers working at a golf tourney.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion