tuscl

Judge orders padlock on strip club where girl danced

Detroit -- A judge today deemed the strip club All Stars a nuisance and ordered it padlocked for a year, after finding the bar never checked the identification of a 14-year-old performer.
The girl's mom discovered her dancing at the topless bar on Eight Mile near Schaefer in April under the stage name "Fantasy" and police charged a club manager with felony child sexual abusive activity.
That was only about a month after the club's owners had promised to clean up their act by entering into a "consent agreement" with prosecutors for a number of violations dating back to 2003.
"You would think the owners of the business would have been on their Ps and Qs," Wayne County Circuit Judge Virgil Smith said. "Exactly the opposite took place."
The club will be closed July 12.
Smith initially ordered the padlocking immediately but then decided to allow the club owners time to work out the details of who would maintain the club while it was closed.
Lawyers for All Stars said they plan to appeal. The club's attorney, Tim Murphy, said the decision was expected given the political push in Detroit to shut down clubs.
The 14-year-old girl testified the club's staff never asked for her identification.
Gerald Evelyn, another attorney for All Stars, said the girl was lying. A man claiming to be a club employee produced a driver's license to The Detroit News the day of the arrest, saying the 14-year-old presented it when she was hired.
"It's easy to ... overreact to things but the evidentiary evidence is thin," Evelyn said.
July 01. 2010
From The Detroit News: http://www.detnews.com/article/20100701/…

7 comments

• troop
    14 years ago
    something similar happened about a year and a half ago to club57 in elyria ohio. a runaway from michigan around 15 or 16 was dancing topless there and got caught.
    same result, club busted and forced to close.
  • CTQWERTY
    14 years ago
    Wow. That will be big news to fans of All Stars.
  • CTQWERTY
    14 years ago
    "Time out" for a strip club = padlocked. Something new for TUSCL glossary????
  • SuperDude
    14 years ago
    Judge Virgil Smith, Jr. is a former member of the Michigan legislature who left because of term limits. His political reputation and experience was strong enough to get him elected to the Wayne County Circuit Court despite never having actually practiced law. He is regarded as fair and even-handed. This actual case appears to have nothing to do with the new restrictions in Detroit clubs, but I believe it may have developed because of the new scrutiny demanded by those who want the new regulations enforced. All-Stars is a thug club. Did the dancer lie about her age and use fake I.D.? Did the manager "know" she was too young, but looked the other way? Early story was one of her parents drove her to work. Lesson: Under tight scrutiny, you can't be too careful.
  • Dudester
    14 years ago
    Underage girls occasionally turn in clubs, most likely in cities with a lot of clubs. I believe that copies of i.d.'s are made, but I also believe that unless the fake i.d. is obvious, it's not closely looked at.

My college girlfriend used her older sister's i.d. (they were virtually identical in appearance). Also, the chance of a woman/girl meeting their non related doppelganger runs higher in big cities. I've been mistaken for my local doppelganger more than once and that makes me nervous because he's a federal agent (US Marshal).

Finally, because it's easy to sell hysteria as fact, some places should be careful to have a good attorney on retainer. Houston Dolls has been caught with underage dancers (16-17) more than once and the club has been a open operating bordello more than once, but yet the place has not only stayed open, but merely had a six month suspension of license everytime it gets caught.
  • vincemichaels
    14 years ago
    I can't say I'll miss this club and its' thug atmosphere. Guilty or not the management there should have known the dancer was too young, and if they did, oh well.
  • Book Guy
    14 years ago
    I'd rather that the young girls were stripping and getting some decent cash (while also, if they're lucky, finding a well-meaning "older sister" relationship), than having to live on the streets and prostitute themselves while falling prey to drug pushers. At least they're indoors, probably well-fed, and doing what they WOULD be doing at a college frat party anyway ... :)
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion