tuscl

What do you guys do with Christmas presents you don't care for or know you won't

Monday, December 14, 2009 6:23 AM
One of my relatives gave me some stuff that looks like it cost some money but I don't care for it too much. Do you sell it on E-bay? See if a store will give you money back for it or what? It pains me that they wasted good money on something that seems like an expensive piece of stuff I won't ever use. They gave me some early presents. I haven't figured out how much they cost yet. I thought about giving it back but that might be considered rude. I'm not sure.

8 comments

• casualguy
    15 years ago
    hmmm, maybe I can exchange it for something I want at one store. The other piece of crap maybe I'll see how much money one of my other relatives can get out of it on E-bay or craig's list. I'm planning on giving my relative what I requested if she gave me something, money. I never heard anyone complain about getting money.
  • zooyork
    15 years ago
    that's always a tricky situation...and for me it depends who gave it to me...was it a close relative? Or an aunt/uncle or a father-inlaw? Someone u see alot or no? details would help... I have a hard time saying to anyone's face I don't like what they gave me, as many do..I believe the best thing is just to be honest with them..that you can't see yourself using X or you have no use for X gift..or else maybe discretely sell it if it's no tsomething they're ever gonna see again either
  • samsung1
    15 years ago
    This is one of the reasons why I give gift receipts. It is a receipt but it does not show the price but it is useful if the person wants to return the gift. What if you sell it and then a few weeks later this relative comes over and asks about it though?
  • Dudester
    15 years ago
    I think there's a "gift swap" website where you can do a swap out with someone. Spmeone might cherish a waterford paperweight, which you don't care for, for a tool, bottle of cologne, etc.
  • CTQWERTY
    15 years ago
    Re-gift it to your favorite DJ for the holidays!
  • gatorfan
    15 years ago
    Donate them to Goodwill or some other charity, but make sure to get a receipt for the charitable deduction come tax time.
  • jester214
    15 years ago
    Depends entirely on what it is, what it cost, and who I got it from... My dear departed Grandmother gave me some of the worst gifts I ever received, but I made sure to display/use them in a way that she would be aware.
  • casualguy
    15 years ago
    Thanks for the comments. Good news, on one expensive gift my brother told my other relative I might not use it but once in the next few years and that someone might steal it out of my garage before I ever used it. They returned it and gave cash. I was happy and they were happy to see me happy. I was glad too because I mentioned that I found the same item online for $50 cheaper than what they paid. I mistakely thought they found it on sale and paid the cheaper price. I didn't realize local stores routinely marked up store prices above the online price but you could order online and pay the cheaper price and just pick it up at the store. I guess it depends on the store. I still have one gift that I don't know how much it's worth.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion